Sleeping without a pillow

badger50

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Hello

I don’t normally post in the Adult Baby forum, as I’m more of a DL. Recently I’ve been experimenting sleeping without a pillow, and it strikes me that babies do that in a cot. I feel like it must be better for my neck, and I’d love to be easily able to sleep on my back.

Does anyone else sleep without a pillow?

And again, despite claiming not to be an AB, I also sleep with a dummy - to stop me grinding my teeth.

Reactions: floppyfoppsie and PlastiBrain
Kinda sorta. I sleep on a couch bed that's in the middle of my living room and the pillows eventually end up on the floor. I also fall asleep with a pacifier in my mouth but it always falls out at some point in the night

Reactions: badger50
I prefer a thin pillow for the same reasons, I still need a pillow but nothing thick, if I’m sick I’ll use 2 pillows to prop myself up a bit, but I prefer thin, I’ll usually wake up and find that my head is in between the pillow and mattress anyway lol, my wife says I have some good battles at night while sleeping

PinkyJujubean said:
Kinda sorta. I sleep on a couch bed that's in the middle of my living room and the pillows eventually end up on the floor. I also fall asleep with a pacifier in my mouth but it always falls out at some point in the night
I’m very fortunate that without have had to learn how to do it, I keep my dummy in all night.

badger50 said:
I’m very fortunate that without have had to learn how to do it, I keep my dummy in all night.
I shift around too much in the night. I'm one of those people who travels around the bed during sleep

Reactions: ChristianDiaperLover
I normally use a pillow but after reading this I might start trying without because what you're suggesting makes sense

I've slept without a pillow and slept fine but have also had times where I've slept without a pillow and have gotten a bad neck cramp from it. I don't really have a super strong preference for a specific type of pillow. As long as there's something that keeps my neck in a relatively straight neutral position is the main thing I look for. It could be a pillow, arm (although that can get uncomfortable after a long period of time if it's my own arm), or a bundled up sweatshirt or clothes. But I usually look to have something to help give my head at least a little support.

Last edited:
Reactions: badger50 and mistykitty
NabePup said:
I've slept without a pillow and slept fine but have also had times where I've slept without a pillow and have gotten a bad neck cramp from it. I don't really have a super strong preference for a specific type of pillow. As long as there's something that keeps my neck in a relatively straight neutral position is the main thing I look for. It could be a pillow, arm (although that can get uncomfortable after a long period of time if it's my own arm), or a bundled up sweatshirt or clothes. But I usually look to have something to help give my head at least a little support.
This is pretty similar to me. No real preference just want something for a bit of support there most of the time regardless what it is.

Reactions: badger50 and NabePup
I will say I also move around a lot when i sleep so i tend to start with my head on a pillow and by morning I'm on my bed diagonally

I perfer one of those bamboo pillows it provides just the right amount of support while at the same is very breathable and I tried sleeping without one a few times and found when I woke up I had a VERY bad cramped neck

I usually use my arm as a “pillow” or sometimes a stuffy, but never an actual pillow for some reason lol

The reason baby’s don’t sleep with a pillow is based on past fatal suffocation incidents . My pillow is about 4” thick very soft no poly fill stuff . That presses down to about 2” thick it gets twisted , push it out of the way , or it just gets pushed on the floor . Sleeping on your back without a pillow is good but side sleeping adults need neck support .

mightytoddler said:
The reason baby’s don’t sleep with a pillow is based on past fatal suffocation incidents . My pillow is about 4” thick very soft no poly fill stuff . That presses down to about 2” thick it gets twisted , push it out of the way , or it just gets pushed on the floor . Sleeping on your back without a pillow is good but side sleeping adults need neck support .
I’ve always thought an automatic pillow that pops up when I’m on my side, and then flattens when I’m on my back would be amazing!

Last edited:
Reactions: BBBen and mightytoddler
I sleep with my pillow above my head cause it feels safe, the most I will use under my head is some blankies. Feels way better for my chronic pain honestly.

I use blankies instead of a pillow sometimes

Reactions: mistykitty
Not sure why but sleeping with a pillow is very painful for me.
I like shallow and thin pillows because they do not leave me with a sore neck in the morning time.
My bed is full of stuffed animals, so I can simply use those if I need some elevation.

I’ve never slept with a pillow . I do not have any back, neck, or any other bodily issues.

Reactions: mistykitty
I have slept with a pillow my whole life (well as far as I remember) and I fine it very difficult to sleep without one.

When I was in the Scouts and sleeping in a sleeping bag, I always rolled up some of my clothing to make a make-shift pillow so I could be easily go to sleep.

Back