Sleeping With Incontinence + Nocturia

The cause of my severe OAB was only diagnosed in 2006. At the time, surgery, meds and varying degrees of absorbent products were options. Even with the surgery and meds, I would still need to wear protection, but without the meds I was told that I would need a catheter or full on diapers. My wife was opposed to meds and catheters due to long-term side effects and infection risks, so I ended up in diapers. I had struggled with severe OAB for much of my life, and after years of wishing I could, to finally be able to wear diapers again was a tremendous relief. Nonetheless, it was a bit of an adjustment for me. I was conflicted in the sense that I was relieved and even enjoyed being in diapers, but remained a bit self-conscious, especially in bed. Still, my wife has been nothing but understanding and has never expressed any regrets over our choice for me to be diapered.

Reactions: JR1 and Jim100
my urologist often suggested meds for overnight urine production , I told him that i have been managing fine with diapers and now that i am not getting up 4 or 5 times a night I sleep much better He said if I was ok with that then he was also

Reactions: Jim100
Yep. Urologists generally suggest meds, perhaps because so many people initially resist wearing a diaper. Both my urologist and family practice physician are supportive of my wife's and my choice to manage my OAB and incontinence with diapers.

Reactions: Jim100
That is great to not be judge mental.

I just searched for this topic instead of asking a new post - glad I did. I was wondering if there were any new medications today that are being recommended for bedwetting. When I was young I recall the side effects and then in college when I began to have night time challenges again, the college doctor said he could start me / trial me on several types of medication to alleviate my bedwetting, but based on the side effects and hit or miss that he said were due to most medications since they are not 100% guaranteed, I opted for diapers and plastic underpants again like I wore at age 8. He was OK with that as were several other male students he had noted he had seen.

Immediate satisfaction and nighttime control over wetting my sheets was great with no side effects. An understanding dorm mate sealed the deal. I do not have the night time challenges today like I did in college but if I ever begin to, I will opt for a full diaper in place of my training underwear for sure.

KitsuneFox said:
Nocturia ( Nocturnal Polyuria ) is a condition where your kidneys overproduce urine while you sleep. There are a verity of medical conditions that can cause it.

My bladder voids while I sleep ... almost every single morning now I wake up with a soaked diaper ( use Rearz + high capacity booster ) . I have no 'urge to pee', and am not able to feel how full my bladder is getting any more. ( doctors say it's nerve damage ) .
Back before my incontinence was this bad, I'd wake up several times every night to urinate.

Has anyone else found a way to slow down the over production of urine during the night ? Going to bed dehydrated doesn't help any.
Desmopressin

Heya! I've had this since puberty so can share the ropes if you ever need it!
First, never dehydrate! I went through a dangerous phase of drinking a cup of water a day due to the embarrassment.

Second option, there are various meds available that either constrict your bladder release muscles or tell your brain you are dehydrated. I took these when I went on school camp but they make me feel dreadfully uncomfortable and I physically cant sleep. Worth it in the lead up to occassions where you don't want to pad heavily though. I'm fortunate enough to live in Australia where these meds are heavily subsidised. In theory you could take these for the rest of your life if they work with your body.

Thirdly, you can deal with it using a catheter or diaper. External catheters for guys suck, and foleys cant be used for more than a month. I use a foley maybe once a year in situations where I can't wear diapers at night. That leaves me with a tena super/maxi for most nights.

I am fortunate to have enough money from the government disability fund to purchase around 400 units a year. Im not sure how Americans can afford the disposable diaper route (cloth?).

Last edited:
Ashbub said:
Thirdly, you can deal with it using a catheter or diaper. External catheters for guys suck, and foleys cant be used for more than a month. I use a foley maybe once a year in situations where I can't wear diapers at night. That leaves me with a tena super/maxi for most nights.

I am fortunate to have enough money from the government disability fund to purchase around 400 units a year. Im not sure how Americans can afford the disposable diaper route (cloth?).

Haven't the Ultima Tena briefs reached Australia yet? Seriously they're much better for night time than Maxi.

I'm on another inco forum and a few of the Americans on there use cloth but not all and none, from the impression I get, all the time. It's a big upfront investment and takes a lot of work, and it's bulky; if you can't wear a dress then stopping it showing is going to be difficult.

HumanFly said:
Haven't the Ultima Tena briefs reached Australia yet? Seriously they're much better for night time than Maxi.

I'm on another inco forum and a few of the Americans on there use cloth but not all and none, from the impression I get, all the time. It's a big upfront investment and takes a lot of work, and it's bulky; if you can't wear a dress then stopping it showing is going to be difficult.
No, I didn't know they even existed!

I wear doubled cloth pull-up diapers (fetware..com) with plastic overpants and I still leak 2-3 x per week. I think its just the name of the game😒

I think from what I read on posts most people use a combination of diapers and pull ups.

tiltedg said:
I wear doubled cloth pull-up diapers (fetware..com) with plastic overpants and I still leak 2-3 x per week. I think its just the name of the game😒
Two or three leaks a week isn't typical for most people. It sounds like you either need more absorbency, or something doesn't fit right.

Leaks are probably inevitable with incontinence, but several times a week isn't the norm.

Reactions: Jonnythepony
I usually don't have leaks also use a pad my wife is always on top of this.

Cloth are best in my opinion for night time issues, usually thicker and are able to absorb quicker then disposables so you don't end uo with pee running up your back or out the front depending on how you sleep.

ltaluv said:
Two or three leaks a week isn't typical for most people. It sounds like you either need more absorbency, or something doesn't fit right.

Leaks are probably inevitable with incontinence, but several times a week isn't the norm.
I am a side-sleeper and that's where there is the least coverage. I am also 'blessed' with a retracted penis so I don't point down.

• Sad
Reactions: KitsuneFox
I also have somewhat the same equiptment .

Back