Signs that your bladder is full

I have interstitial cystitis pretty bad and as my bladder fills it will start spasms and become painful to the point I can no longer hold it. I use to be able to hold it 5 -10minutes or so and do the pee dance on the way to the toilet. But if it is really flared up then it makes me go as often as every 10 minutes and feels a lot like a bladder infection. I use to have a lot bigger floods to0 but just out of being tired of making 30 or 40 trips to the bathroom a day I started letting it go at first urge in my diaper. I mean I used diapers as a insurance when I first had issues before to the giving in the painful urges. When I started driving Truck is when I feel I really started truly loosing my bladder control to the point of no control. Now I get a urge and 15 to 30 seconds later it is draining and it does not mater if I am in bed standing walking or sitting my bladder says nope I do not want to stretch and it contracts. But unless I am a sleep I pretty well know when I am peeing because it hurts almost every damn time. Every once in a while it will settle down to were I can hold a small to medium flood but most of mine is more what I call a mini flood. Unless I am just not drinking fluids I always pee at least once a hour minimum. Many Doctors say IC will not make you incontinent but my question is who is going to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes? Then after a while of letting it go when it becomes painful it goes to it is just letting go and I have no choice. I have been like this since a teenager. I was diagnosed at age 19.
If you are having painful urges out side the normal, I held it it to long pain, then you really should follow up with a urologists, if you have never been. Mine is pretty weird because my bladder never empties either it always holds back some and I can tell when it is holding back a lot because I keep having spasms after I have peed. If I pass a catheter I can get rid of my residual pee and normally it will settle down a bit. But I have always had issue with having retention also. If I do not drain it out then I take the chance of getting infected. Now my bladder has shrank & I normally retain 50 to 75 cc and hold no more than 250cc tops. I use to hold over 600cc and retain over 200cc.

My bladder is just jacked up. I have a good urologist a see at least every 4 to 6 months. doctor has been my 28years now.

Incontinence and OAB is a symptom and they can do some test to tell you the problem causing the symptom. It might be something they can fix. If I was you I would try to retain as much control as you can. But it sounds like your bladder is shrinking and what is going to happen is the walls are going to grow thick and it is not going function correct and your issue is going to become worse. This highly increases your risk of bladder cancer too as well as developing cystitis. (not fun) My bladder walls are 3times as thick as a normal bladder. Every 5 years or so the doctor scopes me and looks it over really good.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, Pino and 1 other person
Diaperman95 said:
Now I get a urge and 15 to 30 seconds later it is draining and it does not mater if I am in bed standing walking or sitting my bladder says nope I do not want to stretch and it contracts. But unless I am a sleep I pretty well know when I am peeing because it hurts almost every damn time. Every once in a while it will settle down to were I can hold a small to medium flood but most of mine is more what I call a mini flood. Unless I am just not drinking fluids I always pee at least once a hour minimum. Many Doctors say IC will not make you incontinent but my question is who is going to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes? Then after a while of letting it go when it becomes painful it goes to it is just letting go and I have no choice. I have been like this since a teenager. I was diagnosed at age 19.
Thats a very little like I feel with my urges. An urge comes, of course I can hold it, but after a few seconds it starts to hurt, Another few seconds later either the urge goes away and it's good, or I can't hold and I start to void.
So what do I do in practice if an urge comes up? Do I always try to hold until it hurts, hoping that the urge goes away? Trying always to reach a toilet before it starts to flow, if the urge doesn't go away? 10 to 15 times a day? No, as I have to wear protection anyways, I think it's purely natural that in long term I (and I would suppose anyone else would also do) want to avoid those painful seconds and simply release in my diaper as soon as an urge comes up before it starts to hurt.
I also have sometimes periods of two to four hours, where no urge comes up. I use those periods to voluntary NOT to pee in order to stretch my bladder to the max, which often works quite well (and if not, I'm wearing a diaper...)

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and Pino
Rita said:
It been so long ago that I have felt a full batter, just don't know what it like any more !
Same here my bladder releases way before I get that full bladder feeling.

Reactions: Diprs2, Deleted member 39574 and Edgewater
charliee said:
I'm not a doctor, but it looks weird that my bladder produced all that pee in less than 10 min. So I guess it probably fills now in a different way than it used to. After wetting the second time, things settled down and later in the evening my wettings went back to normal (small to medium amounts every now and then as my bladder works on good days).
This frequently happens to me overnight. What I believe is happening is that you void your bladder while the kidneys are backed up. Once the bladder is emptied, the kidneys will then trickle into the bladder. Then you need to void again. Imagine if you had to get up in the night for all this excitement.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
Wetshisbed said:
My bladder gets to a certain point and just let's go without warning.
The real problem for me was when I started going before realizing my bladder was emptying. Reaching down and realizing I was wet down there and sometimes down my pants legs too was the main indication for me that I needed protection especially when going outside. Its not as bad at home where I can wash up pretty easy.

Reactions: Diprs2
slimjiminy said:
This frequently happens to me overnight. What I believe is happening is that you void your bladder while the kidneys are backed up. Once the bladder is emptied, the kidneys will then trickle into the bladder. Then you need to void again. Imagine if you had to get up in the night for all this excitement.
I havent heard about the kidneys being backed up. Ive been told its caused by something called "incomplete voiding" where the bladder doesnt fully empty when you try to pee. I notice it more in the daytime when I sometimes feel I need to go to the bathroom again half an hour after going. I get the nighttime version too where I wake up at maybe 6 in the morning and get up to pee and then wale up and feel Im full again shortly after. It doesnt happen though if I wet in my sleep which usually happens when Im drinking or really tired. I asked a doc about this years ago and was told that when you wet in your sleep your bladder usually fully empties but doesnt always do this if your awake.

charliee said:
I want to add that, as many of you, I can still technically hold it, but you can see how not wearing a diaper would require me to constantly visit the toilet.
So for the sake of my mental health two or three months ago I decided to start wearing diapers 24/7 and usually I wet at the slightest urge, also to prevent my bladder from aching when she thinks she's full but is actually not that full.
Does anyone else experience the same pattern when your bladder is "full"?
For me it depends on my stress levels and it gives me a scale of 50ml until 700ml and this final score really wakes me up uncomfortably typically after 7 or 8 hours of sleep.

At night my subconscious brain link is turned off and everything is fine luckily.
During the day it is all over the place between 10 minutes and 4 hours and anywhere typically in between of 50-250ml as a void.

For the last couple years I have been on and off on this cycle, with periods of time not needing diapers in the office (since there is always a toilet available that eases the brain on the good days)
I know for a fact because of kidney stones and some bloody pee moments that my urinal tract is perfectly fine since that part got checked.

So I do know for sure it is (in my case) just stress related and these moments would become better when addressed.
Though it did took a while to figure out that my body is responding this way to stress. My only other OAB trigger is alcohol and that hits instant with the first sip for whatever reason.

(For what ever it is worth, whilst knowing it is still (looking?) fixable and being in full control(/aware of the fact) I don't call myself incontinent. However I just recently accepted that it is a notable issue labeled OAB)

DarkQS1 said:
I know for a fact because of kidney stones and some bloody pee moments that my urinal tract is perfectly fine since that part got checked.
A typical urinary system works as follows.

How the bladder empties: At the lower end of the neck of the bladder, a tube called the urethra allows urine to empty the bladder. The urinary system consists of two kidneys, the ureters, the bladder and the urethra. The kidneys lie in the back, in front of the lower rib cage on either side of the spinal cord. The bladder has two main functions: storing urine and getting rid of it. The bladder is made of smooth muscle, which the automatic nervous system controls.

The process of elimination of urine is as follows: The kidneys filter your blood and collect waste products, which your body needs to eliminate. As the waste products are collected the kidneys make urine which then runs down the ureters into your bladder, where it is collected. The bladder is positioned in the lowest part of your abdomen and surrounded by a muscle called the detrusor muscle whose job it is to squeeze your bladder to empty it when needed. At the lower end of the neck of the bladder, a tube called the urethra allows urine to drain out of the bladder. Also, at this point, sphincter muscles are wrapped around the urethra, which keeps it closed until you are ready to go to the toilet. The urethra is connected to the tip of the penis in men, and the skin is just at the top of the vaginal opening in women.

Nerves carry messages from the bladder to your brain to tell when the bladder is beginning to feel complete. In response, your brain will let you know that you need to start to consider going to the toilet, and at the same time, it will tell the muscles to remain closed until you get there. A normal bladder empties 4 – 7 times daily, depending on how much you drink and holds up to three-quarters of a pint. It usually starts to tell you that you will need to go to the toilet when half this amount is in your bladder. A normal bladder empties completely every time you pass water and does not leak.

See bladderandbowel.org/bladder/healthy-bladder/#:~:text=The%20bladder%20is%20positioned%20in%20the%20lowest%20part,allows%20urine%20to%20empty%20out%20of%20the%20bladder.

SeniorMan said:
A typical urinary system works as follows.

[....]

What I meant with that line, is that due too recurring pee with blood caused by the recurring kidney stones, the whole system got checked by a couple of echo's , 1xCT, and 1x camera up into the bladder, couple 24h pee collections as the urologist wanted to make sure it was not something more serious. So they did not spot anything else weirdly with my bladder(or other parts of the urinal tract) which could be a cause of OAB.
Which is why I stated that as a fact for my personal situation it is not a physical impairment, there is nothing physically wrong.

As the stress levels come and go the same happens with that signal that triggers the bladder causing the OAB, thats just how it feels. (And recently lost a near family member is the biggest factor I am still coping with which is just taking some time to get better... )

Last edited:
hbic60 said:
Thats a very little like I feel with my urges. An urge comes, of course I can hold it, but after a few seconds it starts to hurt, Another few seconds later either the urge goes away and it's good, or I can't hold and I start to void.
So what do I do in practice if an urge comes up? Do I always try to hold until it hurts, hoping that the urge goes away? Trying always to reach a toilet before it starts to flow, if the urge doesn't go away? 10 to 15 times a day? No, as I have to wear protection anyways, I think it's purely natural that in long term I (and I would suppose anyone else would also do) want to avoid those painful seconds and simply release in my diaper as soon as an urge comes up before it starts to hurt.
I also have sometimes periods of two to four hours, where no urge comes up. I use those periods to voluntary NOT to pee in order to stretch my bladder to the max, which often works quite well (and if not, I'm wearing a diaper...)
Yes every chance you get to stretch that bladder a bit you need to take. The shrinking and becoming can become dangerous .

Back