Shortages

nwm said:
For some, it's a question of privacy - a bank card always leaves a paper trail of where it was spent - cash is untraceable. - But by me, right now, there are a few exceptions, but most stores are not accepting cash right now...

I suppose if you are hiding from your stalker or from your ex or something or from your toxic family, that makes sense why you would only do cash. But even pulling it from a ATM would trace you and it's better to just open a new account and get a new card so they can't trace you.

BobbiSueEllen said:
It's certainly convenient but nothing speaks like cash. Cash also conveys value better than numbers on plastic or paper. For myself and others, hard cash is a reflection of hard effort; it drives home value more.

I end up spending it if I have cash. With card, I don't spend.

Calico said:
I suppose if you are hiding from your stalker or from your ex or something or from your toxic family, that makes sense why you would only do cash. But even pulling it from a ATM would trace you and it's better to just open a new account and get a new card so they can't trace you.
ATM records only show total amount and location - not specific stores or amount spent there, that could potentially be valuable info to some, like advertisers, also if for some reason (any reason) bank records are supeinaed, taking out cash tells an investigator NOTHING...
Basically just generally make it VERY difficult for anyone looking for info, reguardless of who or why. (Before COVID, I even p[aid utility bills with cash).

I'm not worried that "somebody's watching me" and my spending. You can't order online with cash, and I buy a lot online. (that was the reason I got my first credit card years ago) Though I do remember a few times mailing a check for a purchase online. I still have a checkbook for the maybe once-a-year I need it for something. The last two times I needed it were to void a check to set up direct deposits.

I like getting the credit card receipt with my purchases, I put it in my wallet and record it (formerly in checkbook, now in Excel) when I hvae time, that's where I balance my bank statement.

Recently i got a Paypal Business Mastercard, and they offered me 10% cash back for the first three months, so I've been using it almost exclusively instead of my bank's ATM/Debit Visa card. I probably should have seen this coming, but it has the great benefit of Paypal immediately emailing me a receipt when I make a purchase. I still get receipts, but it's a nice double-check in case I miss a receipt. I was going to just go back to my Debit card after 3 months, but I really like getting email receipts of use so I may just continue to use it. (the paypal card also has contactless payment that I've been experimenting with)

I guess I view the people that are insisting on using cash as unnecessarily paranoid. "But they're tracking you!" So what? So's Google, Facebook, Microsoft, the Feds, the IRS, everyone's tracking everyone. So what? It's nor hurting me. You can't avoid it all anyway, it's just a waste of time to try, and will ultimately only result in inconvenience to yourself. (and you may seriously regret it the day you need credit to do something like buy a house or car!!)

Last edited:
I have heard from some people about a supposed Adult Diaper shortage

But if there is its limited to certain brands/Models specifically

It hasn't stopped me from being able to order a full case of PeekABUs early on (though I think they started a half case limit over a month ago, maybe closer to 2) and later on a mixed Half Case

The worst part of Panic Buying is when rnough people do it it ensures a shortage when there probably wouldn't have been one otherwise

But like I said, I'm not personally aware of any drastic shortages

I visit my grocery stores almost daily, things seem much better now, but there are waves on the original popular products; toilet paper, napkins, meat, cooking supplies (mainly sauces and condiments), and occasionally diapers. They seem to have adjust and are better at keeping inventory, doesn't mean I don't pick up the occasional package of diapers for myself, as the larger sizes seem to sell out quicker (larger as in Luvs size 5 and 6). Don't know what the fall/winter will be like with COVID and the second wave (this is really only a second spike we're in now) but I don't want to be caught off guard, especially if I get sick, but I also don't want to be the asshole hoarding supplies that others also need. A Pack or two of my Luvs here and there, that's one thing, a barricade of grocery carts with the big boxes that's another

I bought extra Northshore Supremes when France was being hammered by COVID expecting a shortage. Supremes are made in France. It never materialized so now I have a comfortable surplus of them in the basement

BobbiSueEllen said:
Many Boise stores have paper signs up in store windows, offering to buy coins for folding currency. Even-Steven, of course. Most people aren't paying with cash...only credit/debit. Many places make it clear they'd take cash but prefer card; a few won't take cash at all. That explains the coin shortage.
My walmart says Cash is not accepted, nor will they do cash back, they are plastic only now due to the virus

Cut back on people making the lumber from trees. Hardwood floor lumber plant near me at reduced capacity. And yet demand is high. DIY projects because of being home more

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
bambinod said:
I'm not worried that "somebody's watching me" and my spending. You can't order online with cash, and I buy a lot online. (that was the reason I got my first credit card years ago) Though I do remember a few times mailing a check for a purchase online. I still have a checkbook for the maybe once-a-year I need it for something. The last two times I needed it were to void a check to set up direct deposits.

I like getting the credit card receipt with my purchases, I put it in my wallet and record it (formerly in checkbook, now in Excel) when I hvae time, that's where I balance my bank statement.

Recently i got a Paypal Business Mastercard, and they offered me 10% cash back for the first three months, so I've been using it almost exclusively instead of my bank's ATM/Debit Visa card. I probably should have seen this coming, but it has the great benefit of Paypal immediately emailing me a receipt when I make a purchase. I still get receipts, but it's a nice double-check in case I miss a receipt. I was going to just go back to my Debit card after 3 months, but I really like getting email receipts of use so I may just continue to use it. (the paypal card also has contactless payment that I've been experimenting with)

I guess I view the people that are insisting on using cash as unnecessarily paranoid. "But they're tracking you!" So what? So's Google, Facebook, Microsoft, the Feds, the IRS, everyone's tracking everyone. So what? It's nor hurting me. You can't avoid it all anyway, it's just a waste of time to try, and will ultimately only result in inconvenience to yourself. (and you may seriously regret it the day you need credit to do something like buy a house or car!!)
BUT you can get anonymous per-paid cards and use them online!
Unfortunately you do need some credit (or if you want something like a house - get a piece of junk just cheap enough to pay cash for it, and do a lot of labor yourself to fix it - whatever - me I don't care about a lot of space - paid cash for a trailer - but still would like it on land I own AND is private enough if you said nothing, not even town authorities would know it's there!)
So there is a little on record - but not much! I just ALWAYS saw privacy as THE MOST important factor in everything. It's also why there is no way you will get me to take a drug test for anyone other then treating medical professionals reguardless of anything (to pass yoy would have to declare any prescribed medications, and that right there takes away medical privacy!) And at this point, not gona change (in my mid 50s).

Back