Self cath questions

JeriHfoley18

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Anyone notice how sometimes it leaks big time after, or you have a “after shock” with moderate leak?

Also,
The VA sent me caths that have the extra tube.. I think it was a accident and I got better ones
BUT am I able to cath with a bag, not having the balloon? Or am I just asking for UTI/infections.

I know that sounds dumb, I e read on forums people leaving a cath in their diaper to “see what it’s like” and that’s the dumbest shit I ever heard.. but if it’s in a bag and it could make life easier.. should I try it/is it healthy/should I just give up on diapers for help and try full time cath for like, 30 days.

Please and thank you
Cheers

Reactions: EcoIncon
Addendum
Ask the VA to put in a full time cath, I’m sure it would take a nurse 5 seconds.. I go in tomorrow morning so curious

There are pluses and minuses to a foley. It's not a good long term solution because of potential infection. It can also wreak havoc on a neurogenic bladder when first placed and after it's removed. There can be leakage at the urethral opening when sneezing, bending over, lifting, etc., so a pad of some sort is recommended. A longer tube and larger bag is required for bedtime, and moving while sleeping can give a vicious tug that will wake you up. If you don't require one I would avoid them.

Reactions: Pino, checkingoutall and JeriHfoley18
I self cath as needed - currently 2-3 times a day, sometimes as many as 8-10 times. I have not had trouble with leakage after. Are you getting your bladder fully empty? I find that I can empty better if I lean forward at the waist, and if I withdraw the catheter very slowly, stopping if more urine starts to come out.

Reactions: Diaperloverj, Pino, JeriHfoley18 and 1 other person
as someone who had a foley put them in the ICU with urosepsis, I avoid foleys at all costs. Leaving an intermittent cath in for no reason to see what it's like is truly the dumbest shit I ever hear too. You're bladder is supposed to be sterile, with a hose up your hose, there's no way for it to stay that way. Intermittent cath makes sense to avoid overflow/leaks but don't leave it there.

ltaluv said:
I self cath as needed - currently 2-3 times a day, sometimes as many as 8-10 times. I have not had trouble with leakage after. Are you getting your bladder fully empty? I find that I can empty better if I lean forward at the waist, and if I withdraw the catheter very slowly, stopping if more urine starts to come out.
I feel done and when moving it more urine comes out, quite often. If that answers your ?

JeriHfoley18 said:
I feel done and when moving it more urine comes out, quite often. If that answers your ?
Once you feel done, try leaning forward and working the catheter in and out just a bit. It's a delicate balance - you want to get it in position to drain and leftover urine, but you don't want to irritate your urethra or poke the tip of the catheter into your bladder wall, which can be painful.

Once you're used to self-cathing, the urethral irritation is minimal and you should be able to get all the urine out. This in turn will prevent the post-cath leaks.

Reactions: CheshireCat
I use prelubricated intermittant catheters often when needed for retention. The catheter drains the bladder down to the holes, so pulling the cath out very slowly will drain the last bit at the bottom of the bladder.

Back