Records, Vinyl, LP, Album whatever you decide to call them. Let's share our love of music!

CLeazy928

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've been collecting records since 2015. One of my best friends and old roommate got me into records when we shared a house. I have since grown my stash to around 230 albums (I haven't updated my discogs catalog in quite some time so the number could be around 250). It's such an awesome feeling playing the albums from my favorite artists. Ever since getting into the record craze I've fallen in love with a lot of music I didn't know I'd enjoy. Especially from the soul/R&B/funk worlds. Teddy Pendergrass is my man lol. The Isley Brothers have ballads that melt me and I've never felt such a strong connection with music from before my time, like I do now. I do kind of have a impulsive problem. If I see a copy of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac in decent condition I'm buying it. I have 4 copies of that album lol. The album I'm showing is called Stuck Together by Mutts. They're a fantastic band. The singer plays keys and was the former keyboard player for my favorite band of all time Company Of Thieves.

If anyone else is big on records feel free to share how you were introduced to the wonderful world of vinyl!
PXL_20231023_025620327.jpg

Reactions: Jorelaxed and dogboy
we have several 100 records gathering dust in a box somewhere and another couple of hundred 78's also. Beatles, Three Dognight. Egar Winters, J. Geils Band, Almond Br. ,CCR, Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Chicago, Lynard Skynered, and many more same ere

Reactions: Jorelaxed and CLeazy928
chamberpot said:
we have several 100 records gathering dust in a box somewhere and another couple of hundred 78's also. Beatles, Three Dognight. Egar Winters, J. Geils Band, Almond Br. ,CCR, Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Chicago, Lynard Skynered, and many more same ere
Heck yeah!!!!!! All top notch artists! Honestly I get a lot more enjoyment listening to music from the 60s 70s and 80s on vinyl more than I do streaming on Spotify. My apartment is tiny with thin shared walls so I really don't get the opportunity to spin wax as often as I'd like to. I don't have any 78s. If I ever see one that catches my eyes in the wild I'd grab it but they're not something I actively dig for when I'm hunting.

my hearing is so bad now that when we are in the car and my wife is listening to the radio I don't even know it until we stop and road noise stops

Reactions: CLeazy928
chamberpot said:
my hearing is so bad now that when we are in the car and my wife is listening to the radio I don't even know it until we stop and road noise stops
I was very ignorant about protecting my ears at concerts as a teen through most of my 20s. I have quality plugs now but Im thinking the damage has already been done.

I worked in heavy industry for 55 years didn't wear any protection until the last 20 damage was done long before that.

• Sad
Reactions: Jorelaxed and CLeazy928
I'm a professional musician and an audiophile so I've been into records since I was 4 years old and when I had my first record player. I have hundreds of records which includes original purchases of Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Beachboys, Cream and the list goes on as I bought them as a college student.

I recently replaced my turntable with a Planar P2 and I purchased a MacIntosh MA 352 and got some Olm tall boy 2000 speakers, so that's my stereo setup at the moment. With a revealing stereo, you find out which records were well recorded and which weren't. It's amazing to hear the sound improve over the time span of the Beatles as they must have used better and better equipment as the technology advanced and as they had the money to purchase it.

chamberpot said:
I worked in heavy industry for 55 years didn't wear any protection until the last 20 damage was done long before that.
Do you still have the opportunity and ability to enjoy music? I hope that I haven't destroyed my ear drums already.

dogboy said:
I'm a professional musician and an audiophile so I've been into records since I was 4 years old and when I had my first record player. I have hundreds of records which includes original purchases of Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Beachboys, Cream and the list goes on as I bought them as a college student.

I recently replaced my turntable with a Planar P2 and I purchased a MacIntosh MA 352 and got some Olm tall boy 2000 speakers, so that's my stereo setup at the moment. With a revealing stereo, you find out which records were well recorded and which weren't. It's amazing to hear the sound improve over the time span of the Beatles as they must have used better and better equipment as the technology advanced and as they had the money to purchase it.
My first player back in 2015 was a cheap all in one player. I think it was called Tech Play. I made the switch to an AT LP-60 in 2018. Even though it's an entry level turntable it meets my needs well enough. It's hooked up to my Sony receiver with 2 smaller bookshelf speakers and a center speaker nestled in my entertainment center. I wouldn't say I'm picky on my equipment. I'm sure whenever I move into home without a shared wall I'd buy better speakers. But for now they're good enough. I have a Realistic Lab - 420 turntable in my closet that needs more repair than its probably worth. It needs the audio out cables rewired. I've not heard of the Planar brand. Since my budget has always been tight I never looked at and entertained the idea more expensive turntables.

CLeazy928 said:
My first player back in 2015 was a cheap all in one player. I think it was called Tech Play. I made the switch to an AT LP-60 in 2018. Even though it's an entry level turntable it meets my needs well enough. It's hooked up to my Sony receiver with 2 smaller bookshelf speakers and a center speaker nestled in my entertainment center. I wouldn't say I'm picky on my equipment. I'm sure whenever I move into home without a shared wall I'd buy better speakers. But for now they're good enough. I have a Realistic Lab - 420 turntable in my closet that needs more repair than its probably worth. It needs the audio out cables rewired. I've not heard of the Planar brand. Since my budget has always been tight I never looked at and entertained the idea more expensive turntables.
Just replacing the audio out cables should be a simple job that does not involve any complicated electronics. Just cannibalise a stereo audio connecting cable and solder in place.

sissybaby34 said:
Just replacing the audio out cables should be a simple job that does not involve any complicated electronics. Just cannibalise a stereo audio connecting cable and solder in place.
Lol. But then I'd have to buy equipment for the repairs. Which is money I can't spend for that. Maybe 1 day I'll be able to afford having it done but it definitely wouldn't be myself completing the repairs. I'm not mechanically inclined or handy in that sense. I'll do more research on the turntable and find out if it's really worth it. It was from a garage sale. Picked it up for $20 and was told it only needed a new belt (which it did need).

Reactions: sissybaby34
I don't have any records. I do tend to get physical CDs and have a decent collection. For some reason I like the idea of having the physical copy. If there's a zombie apocalypse and I find myself in a bunker with power and a CD player and my CD collection, I'll be set. 🤣

I'm tempted to get a streaming service, though. Buying physical is either more expensive or less variety. It's fine if you don't update your collection often. I go through phases.

CLeazy928 said:
Lol. But then I'd have to buy equipment for the repairs. Which is money I can't spend for that. Maybe 1 day I'll be able to afford having it done but it definitely wouldn't be myself completing the repairs. I'm not mechanically inclined or handy in that sense. I'll do more research on the turntable and find out if it's really worth it. It was from a garage sale. Picked it up for $20 and was told it only needed a new belt (which it did need).
Its the sort of job I like doing, its a shame there are several thousands of miles between us!

Sealander said:
I don't have any records. I do tend to get physical CDs and have a decent collection. For some reason I like the idea of having the physical copy. If there's a zombie apocalypse and I find myself in a bunker with power and a CD player and my CD collection, I'll be set. 🤣

I'm tempted to get a streaming service, though. Buying physical is either more expensive or less variety. It's fine if you don't update your collection often. I go through phases.
That's my same stance on physical copies as well. I used to have a large CD collection but an Ex took them when she moved to Florida years ago. Spotify is a great streaming service. It allows me to download music so that if I'm without cellular service or wifi I can still listen. Their catalog of artists is absolutely massive. I've never failed at finding what i search for on Spotify. For me having Spotify is a convenience thing and they've never let me down with my needs using their service. But I'm definitely in the mindset that physical is better. Which is why I have so many records lol

Reactions: Sealander
I went over to CDs pretty quickly, Dire Straights probably the first one. Chris Rea close second, apologies there. My record collection stayed in the UK when I moved to NL but cd player, amp, speakers etc are waiting in a box since our last move. One of my brothers is in possession of my record collection which also included some collectables such an early Mission four single boxed set, couple of U2 gate fold sleeve singles and a clear vinyl Ultravox single. Liked 12 inch singles too.

• Love
I had a Dual 503 turntable, budget but brilliant. Wharfdale 504 speakers.

Inseparable, Veridia

"Disconnected" always gets me a pumped mood!1000015929.jpg

• Love
Back