Questions to all Readers and Writers - Multiple Stories, or One?

rivenk

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Hi everyone, if you clicked on this post, I assume you are someone who enjoys creating or consuming literary content. Not sure how many of you are out there, but given that ADISC has a decent story catalog, I'm hoping there's a bunch!

As someone aspiring to be a writer, I wanted to have a thread where I can ask some questions I have about what writers do and what readers are looking for.

My first question to you all:

As a writer how do you handle writing processes when you have multiple story ideas?
Do you write multiple works concurrently? Do you hop between chapters? Or do you strictly only start on a new piece after finishing the last one?

For readers, do you prefer your favorite authors write one story at a time? Or would you be interested to see them develop several different stories at the same time?

Right now, I have several ideas brewing in my head. While I'm primarily writing my main story at the moment, I find myself wanting to hop and start on several other ones. But I know that the context-switching is expensive, and can lead to mistakes, so I'm still debating what I should do.

If you also have questions for readers and writers, feel free to share them below!

I myself prefer to focus on one idea to be honest. I can see the advantages of working on multiple but I feel my work is best when I have focused on planning, drafting, and editing one idea.
I am not super restrictive about finishing one idea before hopping onto the next though. If I get burnt out or something, I will usually try another idea for a bit before returning to the other idea.

I usually write one story at a time but when I was writing my novel, I wrote a couple of short stories that were more adult oriented as the novel was more for junior and senior high kids.

As for authors I like, it doesn't matter to me how they write. I simply enjoy reading their stories and don't give much thought as to their creative process. Steven King wrote a good book titled: On Writing. It's worth reading if you're a writer.

Valk said:
I myself prefer to focus on one idea to be honest. I can see the advantages of working on multiple but I feel my work is best when I have focused on planning, drafting, and editing one idea.
I am not super restrictive about finishing one idea before hopping onto the next though. If I get burnt out or something, I will usually try another idea for a bit before returning to the other idea.
Yup, I'm thinking that's likely the norm. How often would you say you feel like wanting a change of pace? Also, just curious, I noticed you've only posted one chapter of a story on ADISC, do you share your writing on other platforms?

dogboy said:
I usually write one story at a time but when I was writing my novel, I wrote a couple of short stories that were more adult oriented as the novel was more for junior and senior high kids.

As for authors I like, it doesn't matter to me how they write. I simply enjoy reading their stories and don't give much thought as to their creative process. Steven King wrote a good book titled: On Writing. It's worth reading if you're a writer.
Wow, are you a published author? That's pretty amazing! If you don't mind sharing, what was the novel about, and how long did it take you?

That's fair. I guess for readers I was wondering if they would be sad if their favorite story had its chapters / sequels delayed because the author was focusing on another story/series.

And yes, I've heard of On Writing although I haven't yet read it. I'll definitely go take a look!

rivenk said:
Yup, I'm thinking that's likely the norm. How often would you say you feel like wanting a change of pace? Also, just curious, I noticed you've only posted one chapter of a story on ADISC, do you share your writing on other platforms?

Wow, are you a published author? That's pretty amazing! If you don't mind sharing, what was the novel about, and how long did it take you?

That's fair. I guess for readers I was wondering if they would be sad if their favorite story had its chapters / sequels delayed because the author was focusing on another story/series.

And yes, I've heard of On Writing although I haven't yet read it. I'll definitely go take a look!
As for the first question, I don't feel the need to have a chance of pace too much to be honest, as when I come up with an idea, I am usually really happy with it.
And as for the second question, I don't really publish my work online.

rivenk said:

I'm afraid I'm self published but I was on the Barnes and Noble front advertising page for two years with "Werewolf". It hit that Paranormal Romance genre which is still very popular among readers.

I actually worked on my novel for six years, mostly in the summers when I wasn't working at school. It's self published on Amazon and in the few times I've looked it up, I find it's published in multiple languages and countries. I guess that's something Amazon does or it's gotten pirated.

Valk said:
As for the first question, I don't feel the need to have a chance of pace too much to be honest, as when I come up with an idea, I am usually really happy with it.
And as for the second question, I don't really publish my work online.
That makes sense. And, to the second answer: That's unfortunate! I read through the one story you've posted, and while the premise isn't to my personal tastes, the writing itself is very good! I felt quite immersed in the strange, yet intriguing school.

dogboy said:
I'm afraid I'm self published but I was on the Barnes and Noble front advertising page for two years with "Werewolf". It hit that Paranormal Romance genre which is still very popular among readers.

I actually worked on my novel for six years, mostly in the summers when I wasn't working at school. It's self published on Amazon and in the few times I've looked it up, I find it's published in multiple languages and countries. I guess that's something Amazon does or it's gotten pirated.
Self publishing a full novel is still quite an achievement that few can claim! And yeah, I've heard that sub-genre still has a decently-sized, dedicated reader base, despite not being the most "trendy". I couldn't find your book online though (the name is a bit non-specific)

Wow, six years! How did you manage to maintain context and ensure there was consistency throughout the book? What was your editing process like once you finished the initial draft (and did you hire a professional editor)?

Oh, wow the book was popular enough that there were Amazon-made/fan translations? If you don't mind sharing - how many copies have you sold / Kindle Unlimited reads have you had thus far?

I have a weird mind so all the events of the story were in my mind. I envisioned one of those old pigeon hole letter boxes and each box contained an important event in the story. I also created a file that contained all my characters and a sort of biography of each of the major characters so I could stay consistent to their personalities. I also did a lot of research into the area where they lived, Indian culture and some of the travesties perpetrated against native Americans. My dad was Lenni Lenape and I grew up in an area on the Jersey Shore that was inhabited by the Delaware tribe so some of that information drove the story line. This is in the novel.

"Werewolf" is a short story so that wasn't as difficult to keep track of and I wrote it in several weeks during the school year while I was working. I didn't sell a lot of the novel but if I feel motivated, I may revisit it and rewrite some of it for a more adult audience.

PM me if you want title and author...haha.

Ideally I like to focus on one thing to actually get a complete story finished instead of the beginnings to several, which I've had a bad habit of doing a lot of times. That said, a lot of times I just get an idea stuck in my head to the point it's all I can think about. At that point I find it better to just go along with it, write out the idea that's in my head, otherwise I won't be able to focus on anything else anyways, and sometimes when that happens I might decide I like the new idea better anyways.

dogboy said:
I have a weird mind so all the events of the story were in my mind. I envisioned one of those old pigeon hole letter boxes and each box contained an important event in the story. I also created a file that contained all my characters and a sort of biography of each of the major characters so I could stay consistent to their personalities. I also did a lot of research into the area where they lived, Indian culture and some of the travesties perpetrated against native Americans. My dad was Lenni Lenape and I grew up in an area on the Jersey Shore that was inhabited by the Delaware tribe so some of that information drove the story line. This is in the novel.

"Werewolf" is a short story so that wasn't as difficult to keep track of and I wrote it in several weeks during the school year while I was working. I didn't sell a lot of the novel but if I feel motivated, I may revisit it and rewrite some of it for a more adult audience.

PM me if you want title and author...haha.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been swamped with life, and saw your replies but didn't have time to write back...

I too am keeping a 'character background' for each of my characters in my current story. I feel like it's necessary to keep consistent.

You mention doing a lot of research - and honestly I'm finding the same. One fun thing about being a writer is you get to research the most random things, and I actually find that pretty fun and enlightening.

I'd love to have a look. "Werewolf" is a bit too generic so I'm not too sure how to find it online. Also, I don't have PM privileges yet, but perhaps you can PM me?

Rakvirsza said:
Ideally I like to focus on one thing to actually get a complete story finished instead of the beginnings to several, which I've had a bad habit of doing a lot of times. That said, a lot of times I just get an idea stuck in my head to the point it's all I can think about. At that point I find it better to just go along with it, write out the idea that's in my head, otherwise I won't be able to focus on anything else anyways, and sometimes when that happens I might decide I like the new idea better anyways.
Hey Rakvirsza, also apologize for the late reply... And yup, I've certainly felt the same at times. Actually, I'm quite "not disciplined" with my writing... Explains why I never finished any longer works... I really want to change that with my current story though, but I did just get this very intriguing idea the other day...

Follow-up question to all authors - What's the funniest, weirdest, and/or most interesting thing you've researched for a story?

I've certainly had a few that have probably gotten me "put on a list" - googling about homemade explosives for a murder plot without a VPN was probably not one of my brightest moments.

I love reading and learning about various cultures - even 'subcultures' like hobbies that are different than my own. It's fun to widen one's perspective through this research :p

rivenk said:
Sorry for the late reply, I've been swamped with life, and saw your replies but didn't have time to write back...

I too am keeping a 'character background' for each of my characters in my current story. I feel like it's necessary to keep consistent.

You mention doing a lot of research - and honestly I'm finding the same. One fun thing about being a writer is you get to research the most random things, and I actually find that pretty fun and enlightening.

I'd love to have a look. "Werewolf" is a bit too generic so I'm not too sure how to find it online. Also, I don't have PM privileges yet, but perhaps you can PM me?

Hey Rakvirsza, also apologize for the late reply... And yup, I've certainly felt the same at times. Actually, I'm quite "not disciplined" with my writing... Explains why I never finished any longer works... I really want to change that with my current story though, but I did just get this very intriguing idea the other day...

Follow-up question to all authors - What's the funniest, weirdest, and/or most interesting thing you've researched for a story?

I've certainly had a few that have probably gotten me "put on a list" - googling about homemade explosives for a murder plot without a VPN was probably not one of my brightest moments.

I love reading and learning about various cultures - even 'subcultures' like hobbies that are different than my own. It's fun to widen one's perspective through this research :p
"Werewolf" in on this site in the Story Forum. Just scroll down in the ADISC Story Index and you should see it. It's somewhat long as I recall so it wouldn't fit in a PM.

I’m a published author, but it’s been almost 2 decades since my writings where last submitted. Short stories mostly, but I’ve also written news and magazine articles.

Back in the olden days, I would keep notes on story ideas, but only work on one thing at a time to avoid things becoming a confused mess.
I’d also not read other peoples’ works while I was actively writing my own. This was to avoid accidentally introducing unwanted elements into the story from a different author.

As a reader, I liked reading many books in a row from the same author & story line. Dan Abnett, R A Salvatore, William King, Richard Knaak, etc.

dogboy said:
"Werewolf" in on this site in the Story Forum. Just scroll down in the ADISC Story Index and you should see it. It's somewhat long as I recall so it wouldn't fit in a PM.
Gotcha! I found the story and will have to give it a read when I get a chance :)

KitsuneFox said:
I’m a published author, but it’s been almost 2 decades since my writings where last submitted. Short stories mostly, but I’ve also written news and magazine articles.

Back in the olden days, I would keep notes on story ideas, but only work on one thing at a time to avoid things becoming a confused mess.
I’d also not read other peoples’ works while I was actively writing my own. This was to avoid accidentally introducing unwanted elements into the story from a different author.

As a reader, I liked reading many books in a row from the same author & story line. Dan Abnett, R A Salvatore, William King, Richard Knaak, etc.
Hey KitsuneFox! Wow, another published author! Was writing already part of your job? Or was it a side hobby that you managed to take a step further and get published? I

Interesting that you purposely didn't read other peoples' works while writing, that's something I haven't tried, but I can understand the intention behind it. I guess since I'm writing for a particular niche atm, which is different than the genres I typically read, so it hasn't affected me personally yet. I also have a lot to learn so I guess I don't mind as much taking elements from others, I have to 'borrow' a bit until I can truly develop my own style I think :p

I am personally unable to read multiple books at once. Well, excluding textbooks/non-fiction back in the day I guess. To be fair, at the moment I find it difficult to find time to even read a single book -_-

Out of curiosity, have you written any stories for this site?

Last edited:
@rivenk I wrote stories just for the fun of it. Back than I used the annual "Writer's Market" books ( no longer made ) to find publishers.
It wasn't exactly good paying, but it was interesting.

I was actually reading Hemmingway's novel, For Whom the Bell Tolls when I wrote Werewolf. I liked the starkness of Hemmingway. He didn't waste words. One of my ADISC readers picked up on that and said that Werewolf reminded him of Hemmingway's style. Obviously I didn't try to copy Hemmingway as he was a genius writer.

KitsuneFox said:
@rivenk I wrote stories just for the fun of it. Back than I used the annual "Writer's Market" books ( no longer made ) to find publishers.
It wasn't exactly good paying, but it was interesting.
Dang, I never heard of that, but yeah, it seems cool and interesting! Even if it wasn't well-paying, getting paid anything for what you wrote as a hobby / for fun is awesome!

dogboy said:
I was actually reading Hemmingway's novel, For Whom the Bell Tolls when I wrote Werewolf. I liked the starkness of Hemmingway. He didn't waste words. One of my ADISC readers picked up on that and said that Werewolf reminded him of Hemmingway's style. Obviously I didn't try to copy Hemmingway as he was a genius writer.
I've definitely found what I read affects the style of which I write. Although, like you said, I can't hope to properly imitate top selling authors. Although, I do think that TRYING to do so helps me learn what makes their writing work, and what doesn't... And I think in the long run it will help me develop my own unique style. Obviously I do need to read and write more, I don't do nearly enough of either at the moment due to work and other things...

rivenk said:
Dang, I never heard of that, but yeah, it seems cool and interesting! Even if it wasn't well-paying, getting paid anything for what you wrote as a hobby / for fun is awesome!

I've definitely found what I read affects the style of which I write. Although, like you said, I can't hope to properly imitate top selling authors. Although, I do think that TRYING to do so helps me learn what makes their writing work, and what doesn't... And I think in the long run it will help me develop my own unique style. Obviously I do need to read and write more, I don't do nearly enough of either at the moment due to work and other things...
I always entertained the idea of writing, way back when I was in college so I find that when I read a novel from a really good writer, besides enjoying the story, I'm also studying the writers style and technique. It's reading great works that can make someone a very good writer if they have that sort of ability and desire. Before I wrote my kids' novel, I read the first Harry Potter book to see how she paced the action and how she handled dialogue. Anyone who's sold over a billion books must have something going on! I also read Steven King's, "On Writing" and Annie Dillard's book on writing.

Back