Question for anyone who has dyed their hair

StarrySky

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
What would I want to do if I wanted to dye my hair?
My natural hair color is brown btw

• Thinking
Reactions: Woncrinklz
First you want to lighten in order to get the new color to show up well. But be careful, bleaching your hair for too long or too much can absolutely fry your hair and it’s really hard to repair that kind of damage, if at all. What color are you planning on changing it to?

Reactions: Edgewater
LittleLynn said:
First you want to lighten in order to get the new color to show up well. But be careful, bleaching your hair for too long or too much can absolutely fry your hair and it’s really hard to repair that kind of damage, if at all. What color are you planning on changing it to?
Purple

Yeah you’re definitely gonna wanna bleach it first otherwise the purple won’t stand out as much as it should. I usually go to my stylist to get a professional job done but if you’re doing it yourself at home, don’t skimp out on dye. Get a good brand with good reviews, not the cheap stuff. My hair really likes arctic fox or pulp riot dyes.

Check whether your home water is 'hard' have heavy mineral contain, especially iron as it will really effect your end results. Speaking with zero experience of my own, but have seen the results of my daughter's nightmare!!

As so well stated by LittleLynn, see a professional!!

Reactions: Woncrinklz
I wanted to dye my hair a year ago. I bought $90.00 worth of crap, nervously. Have yet to do it right.

I have this tub of "Loreal Quick Blue" and volume 20 creme activator I got from a mall beauty supply store.
I was going for highlights, but I think I need a stronger activator.I tried it with my med. Lt. red/blonde hair, and barely noticed a thing after 25 min., I also got the "Manic Panic" colors, hoping to play some color into it. I have to get to action again with the stuff. It is just catching dust by my bed. :unsure:

But if you screw up, Beautiful Browns semi-permanent hair stuff not only replenishes screwed-up hair, along with Pantene and hair serums, but can undo so you can re-enter public. But nowadays, nobody would notice a mess up. They'd probably think it was cool. "mod" whatever.

• Wow
Re: I was going for a retro-hippy mod kinda effect, with weird colors in rebellion. I never did do it. :ROFLMAO: But sometimes, I wish I would. I think I'm too old, yet....

If it's the first time you're dying it you can use hair bleach. Bleach should only be used on untreated hair though so like the very first time only. If this is not the very first time do a lightening cream instead. Also test with semi-permanent dyes before choosing a permanent one if you're doing it yourself and be sure to get thourough coverage otherwise some will dye and some will not. Otherwise seek out a pro to do it instead.

There are also a ton of variants of colors out there that have different effects pending on color of hair they are applied to. I like metallic ones because they have a little bit of shine to them so the color is visible even in dark areas. Also, if you're going purple as some one who tried that color make sure you don't get one to dark or many can't tell it from brown or black.

I think I'd like to get my light brown back that's gone grey...

Reactions: Edgewater and ianwee
I'm mostly bald, so I shave my head. I suppose I could paint my head, though. 🤣

• Haha
Nam Repaid said:
I think I'd like to get my light brown back that's gone grey...
Take care as unless you test, you may find that you grey hair may pull more red into it and that may not be what you are looking for as an end result.

In my youth my hair was every colour from white blond to black.
Now I'm bald and grey. 😳

• Haha
Reactions: AttilaThePun and Edgewater
StarrySky said:
What would I want to do if I wanted to dye my hair?
My natural hair color is brown btw
Hey so i actually dye my hair regularly. If you want to message me i can send you exactly what i use but i can lay everything out. First youre gonna want bleach and developer. I recommend using 20 developer for your first time especially because i have burned my scalp with doing 30 too many times. I also have dark brown hair so i leave it in for 45. (yes i know its long but i check it at 25 and move on from there) DO YOUR ROOTS LAST IF YOU HAVE HAIR LONGER THAN YOU EARS PLEASE. Youre roots develop faster because bleach works with heat and the heat from your scalp makws it process faster! I have extremely short hair so i just lather it on. But remember its not shampoo dont scrub it into your scalp! After you process rinse your hair you and some bleachs will have you shampoo it always triple check the bottle you use! After its dry take your dye. I use mostly artic fox, manic panic (do not use their bleach) and that unicorn one (i cant remember the name) the color is a bit easier just make sure everywhere is covered and process for the time the box tells you i usually add 5-10 more minutes but thats a me thing. Wash your hair with cold water until it runs clear. As for upkeep its best to use colder water during your showers itll make it last longer but you do you. If you got any more questions shoot me a message and i can help more ive been dying my own hair for 4 years and ive cut my own for 2!! 2

Reactions: AttilaThePun
Back