Question about interstim process

checkingoutall said:
At first my urologist has me self cathing and measuring out put. Since I was 100ml or less I was able to stop. The main reason they want you to self cath is for retention. If you have retention that backs up into your kidneys, it will cause major kidney issues. So my urologist has me get an ultrasound of my kidney and bladder once a year to keep a check on it.
The most I’ve gotten when cathing is 6 ounces. The three other times it was less than an ounce each time. I don’t know how many ML that is. I hope I don’t have to cath permanently.

Ehorton said:
The most I’ve gotten when cathing is 6 ounces. The three other times it was less than an ounce each time. I don’t know how many ML that is. I hope I don’t have to cath permanently.

With only getting that little amount he shouldn't keep you doing intermittent cathing. Have you reported to him how little you get out when you self cath? I would sure asking him why you should have to self cath with so little coming out.

Reactions: Ebabyboy12
checkingoutall said:
With only getting that little amount he shouldn't keep you doing intermittent cathing. Have you reported to him how little you get out when you self cath? I would sure asking him why you should have to self cath with so little coming out.
No not yet. I figured I would keep cathing through Monday and reach out on Tuesday after the holiday. My wife and I agree. Retention doesn’t seem to be the issue. Im not fully onboard with the idea of interstim as it seems as if won’t get me out of diapers but rather improve my situation rather then solve it.

Ehorton said:
No not yet. I figured I would keep cathing through Monday and reach out on Tuesday after the holiday. My wife and I agree. Retention doesn’t seem to be the issue. Im not fully onboard with the idea of interstim as it seems as if won’t get me out of diapers but rather improve my situation rather then solve it.

I don't know if they are still doing it, but they use to do a trial before perminanat implant. If they are still doing it, that would be at least a small thing to try and see if you are one that it does cut out diaper use.

Reactions: Ebabyboy12
checkingoutall said:
I don't know if they are still doing it, but they use to do a trial before perminanat implant. If they are still doing it, that would be at least a small thing to try and see if you are one that it does cut out diaper use.
Yes they do the trial still. I’ve got a follow up appointment in less then two weeks. How does it specifically work?? I know it sends signals from your brain to my bladder and bowel. Does it stop the leaking, tell me when I have to go? I just don’t understand how the process works?

Back