Putting on a cloth diaper?

oldpppants

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I ordered a flat diaper from Amazon, which was a mistake in that shipping was NOT discreet. It is a "large," which I can't see how it can fit on me with a 36 inch waist, but it's been washed (they recommend 3 washings before use), so I can't return it. Any guidance for pinning on a flat diaper that will keep it in place?

oldpppants said:
I ordered a flat diaper from Amazon, which was a mistake in that shipping was NOT discreet. It is a "large," which I can't see how it can fit on me with a 36 inch waist, but it's been washed (they recommend 3 washings before use), so I can't return it. Any guidance for pinning on a flat diaper that will keep it in place?
Can you point to the exact diaper? I'm curious.

Unfortunately most "adult"-sized flats aren't proportionally scaled up versus the baby sort. For that to be true, they'd be almost the size of bed sheets. Consequently, adult flats usually can't be folded in all the same ways as the baby kinds. If you try to do a real "kite fold" or "origami fold" or whatever, you'll end up with something way too small. I have an assortment of flats, and mostly find myself wearing them like prefolds. That is, I stack a couple of them and do an "angel wing" or similar.

(But mostly I just wear actual prefolds.)

Last edited:
Big diaper pins. 2 on each side will have very good staying power

oldpppants said:
I'm not sure what kind of diaper you have. I have several 60 x 60 inch diapers that I am able to kite fold and be pinned on like a baby diaper. Makes me look like a baby too.

Reactions: Cottontail
Floodingpants said:
I'm not sure what kind of diaper you have. I have several 60 x 60 inch diapers that I am able to kite fold and be pinned on like a baby diaper. Makes me look like a baby too.
I fold my 60”x60” Terrie’s into a newborn bay kite fold. All 4 corners into middle then fold into kite = Very thick + plastic pants

Reactions: Floodingpants
Babybill said:
I fold my 60”x60” Terrie’s into a newborn bay kite fold. All 4 corners into middle then fold into kite = Very thick + plastic pants
Is there somewhere online I can see steps to do this?

oldpppants said:
Is there somewhere online I can see steps to do this?
Have a look on Google called Mini Kite Fold

Cottontail said:
Unfortunately most "adult"-sized flats aren't proportionally scaled up versus the baby sort. For that to be true, they'd be almost the size of bed sheets. Consequently, adult flats usually can't be folded in all the same ways as the baby kinds. If you try to do a real "kite fold" or "origami fold" or whatever, you'll end up with something way too small. I have an assortment of flats, and mostly find myself wearing them like prefolds. That is, I stack a couple of them and do an "angel wing" or similar.
I disagree, you have just have to get the correct size for what you want to do. UK cloth nappies (terry towelling) were always 24 x 24 inch and books / online guides show different folds for tiny or larger babies. So if you want to try all the folds in the books, assuming your body size is now constant, you need to buy different sized cloth nappies. I'm on the larger side of medium (34 to 36in waist) and I can do most folds with my 48 x 48 inch cloth nappies.

sambus said:
I disagree, you have just have to get the correct size for what you want to do. UK cloth nappies (terry towelling) were always 24 x 24 inch and books / online guides show different folds for tiny or larger babies. So if you want to try all the folds in the books, assuming your body size is now constant, you need to buy different sized cloth nappies. I'm on the larger side of medium (34 to 36in waist) and I can do most folds with my 48 x 48 inch cloth nappies.
That's fair. The difficulty, at least on this side of the pond, is that there aren't many sizes to choose from. AdultClothDiaper.com, for example, sells 36" and 44" squares. Kite-folded, those would give you lengths of approximately 25" and 31", respectively. The former would be too small for most adults. The latter corresponds to an adult "medium" in most other diapers. Origami-folded, you'd have lengths of 18" and 22", neither fit for an adult. Of course there are other folds. My point is simply that adult flats are a bit of trap, because with the sizes widely available, it's easy to end up with one that won't fit when folded.

Last edited:
I told my cotton flats like Cottontail. Basically they end up like prefolds. ACDC has some pictures for how to fold them. I also use two large diaper pins on each side for tighter leg and waist fit.

Floodingpants said:
This is a photo of my 60 x 60 Terry cloth diaper folded. They fit very well and hold up over night. I have had one on for as long as 12 to 14 hours.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230605-213606.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230605-213606.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Deleted member 58241
Also after you rig up a diaper that might be perfect a nice pair or 2 of plastic pants will hide any mistakes in the diaper folding dept. Or so Ive been told } lol

Reactions: Floodingpants
SuzetteSissy said:
Also after you rig up a diaper that might be perfect a nice pair or 2 of plastic pants will hide any mistakes in the diaper folding dept. Or so Ive been told } lol
A good pair of plastic pants is a must. It is also nice if you have some diaper covers.

Back