Progression to bowel incontinence?

LeakingOut said:
Has anyone experienced anything like this or am I just unlucky?
Being incontinent myself, there are so many different reasons in our community. As noted (jlinvirginia), IC is a SYMPTOM of other UNDERLYING causes. I was not injured. I was born with this (pelvic floor dysfunction). Regardless of your IC reasons, like you, I'm diaper dependent. So welcome to the club. Whether you're unlucky or not, it's simply a fact.

Reactions: uknappygirl, PadPhilosopher and Diprs2
For me, I experienced IC-F gradually over time after being first IC-U only. The advice from my doctor and nurse when it first started was that they aren't directly connected but that has since changed. Having said that, I would always get a new symptom checked out because you never know what's causing it.

Reactions: Diprs2, cantwait and PadPhilosopher
I don’t know how much of this is true, but my urologist told me the more I wore diapers the greater chance of me becoming bowel incontinent as well.

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
BabyHailey1977 said:
I don’t know how much of this is true, but my urologist told me the more I wore diapers the greater chance of me becoming bowel incontinent as well.
The only thing I can think they might mean, is that you're exercising your pelvic floor muscles less as a result of not holding? There are some muscles in common, but the systems are controlled separately.

Reactions: Diprs2
PadPhilosopher said:
The only thing I can think they might mean, is that you're exercising your pelvic floor muscles less as a result of not holding? There are some muscles in common, but the systems are controlled separately.
I agree, and lean more to the idea that my doctor wants me to take expensive meds so they can receive kickbacks.

Reactions: Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
BabyHailey1977 said:
I agree, and lean more to the idea that my doctor wants me to take expensive meds so they can receive kickbacks.
No...... They wouldn't! 😆

If the worst side effect of using diapers is using more diapers, that is definitely a side effect that won't kill you. Reading the side effects on some of those drugs sounds like a fate worse than death...... That's not to say that meds have no place. They can be extremely useful in certain situations, and there are many people here who would have been long gone without them. However, some doctors do go too far IMO.

Reactions: uknappygirl, BabyHailey1977 and Diprs2
Back