Prize in cereal box

EagleBoy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Whatever happen to those days where you received a prize in a cereal box.
I'm gonna say between1976 to1988 depending on witch cereal box you got you received a prize in the box.
stickers, dollar or less toy, I remember receiving a coupon for Dairy Queen.
Are they just too damn cheap do to that anymore?

Reactions: CuriousFabio, Tommy10, babyjunior03 and 2 others
I remember Captian Crunch had a spy telescope I got an A on a paper in 5th grade I used the telescope to look at a picture in the paper don't know why anyway there little tiny dots that make up these pictures it came up in class and I new the answer because of a little toy in a box of cereal. Teacher used my toy in class. Who would have thought?

Reactions: Tommy10, TeeMousy, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
I grew up in the 2000's and I used to love getting prizes in my cereal! I remember a Lego car, Star wars themed spoons that lit up, and an array of hidden toys long lost to time. Thanks for unlocking a hidden memory there.

Reactions: Kirisin, PadPhilosopher and BobbiSueEllen
I think I was 4 or 5, it was before Kindergarten...my father was digging out the prize for me out of some cereal I liked, it turned out to be a rubber-band-powered Ford Pinto...blue. While trying to snap the rear wheels in, the axle broke. He tried to fix it...it didn't work. :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: Kirisin and PadPhilosopher
Choking hazard no plastic toys in cracker jack same reason.
Remember cutting out the record you could play on a record player.

Reactions: Kirisin, Hoksiyopa, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
foxkits said:
Choking hazard no plastic toys in cracker jack same reason.
But somehow they get by in KinderJoy eggs. Weird... :unsure:

• Wow
Reactions: CuriousFabio, Kirisin, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
Yup your right 😁

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
EagleBoy said:
Whatever happen to those days where you received a prize in a cereal box.
I think it is a good thing they don't do that anymore, at least as far as plastic junk that just ends up being discarded. If you also think about all that plastic that is sold for kids toys big and small that eventually ends up at the end of the driveway and in the dump -- it is an enormous environmental hazard. Even worse now is all those toys that now include electronics that ends up being discarded in the same way.

• Thinking
Reactions: Kirisin and PadPhilosopher
It generates 2,600 and one hertz. My ears hurt. 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: PadPhilosopher
I had a Hot Wheels watch that came in boxes of Shreddies a number of years ago. Unfortunately, the battery could not be replaced in it. I actually wore it until I could not read the numbers anymore.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:
I think I was 4 or 5, it was before Kindergarten...my father was digging out the prize for me out of some cereal I liked, it turned out to be a rubber-band-powered Ford Pinto...blue. While trying to snap the rear wheels in, the axle broke. He tried to fix it...it didn't work. :cry:
The actual Ford Pinto didn't have a much better quality reputation. 😳

• Haha
Reactions: CuriousFabio, geka, chamberpot and 2 others
PadPhilosopher said:
The actual Ford Pinto didn't have a much better quality reputation. 😳
The new Ford Pinto! Comes in extra-crispy! 🫢

I remember dem days...

• Haha
Reactions: chamberpot, PadPhilosopher and Kirisin
slimjiminy said:
I think it is a good thing they don't do that anymore, at least as far as plastic junk that just ends up being discarded. If you also think about all that plastic that is sold for kids toys big and small that eventually ends up at the end of the driveway and in the dump -- it is an enormous environmental hazard. Even worse now is all those toys that now include electronics that ends up being discarded in the same way.
It's supposed to be illegal to discard that electronic stuff in dumps. We have a couple times a year that allows us to discard up too 300 pounds free and then .10 cents each additional pound. The electronics are then recycled and turned into something else.

• Wow
dpcare said:
Some history telephone hackers used a captain crunch whistle to hack onto the telephone trunk lines.
Where they could talk long distance and party long distance together.
He did get put in jail for it.
The whistle could mimic a tone needed to get on trunk line.
The hacker nick name was Captain crunch.

• Thinking
  • Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, PaigeCherubiel, JensBabyGirl and 1 other person
Kirisin said:
It's supposed to be illegal to discard that electronic stuff in dumps. We have a couple times a year that allows us to discard up too 300 pounds free and then .10 cents each additional pound. The electronics are then recycled and turned into something else.
Locally, we have electronics recycling places to take stuff too. But that doesn't stop lazy consumers from tossing stuff in the dump. A card with a musical chip inside is likely just tossed into the garbage can, when disposed of.

Reactions: Kirisin and PaigeCherubiel
slimjiminy said:
Locally, we have electronics recycling places to take stuff too. But that doesn't stop lazy consumers from tossing stuff in the dump. A card with a musical chip inside is likely just tossed into the garbage can, when disposed of.
Hence RoHS. It's not really a big deal, environmentally, with modern electronics. It's the older ones which can be a problem, as many hazardous materials were used in their manufacture. Sadly, there's a lot of precious metals and such which can be recovered from any electronic waste, but a large portion of it does in fact go to waste, even now.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: slimjiminy and BobbiSueEllen
foxkits said:
The hacker nick name was Captain Crunch.
Oddly enough, in the pre-movie novel War Games, there was a hacker named Captain Crunch. 🤔 The character in the novel played by Matthew Broderick goes up to him as he's busy on something and, to fool him, says "I'm from Ma Bell and, boy, is she pi**ed!", "Ma Bell" being AT&T, a then-de-facto telecommunications monopoly, which was subdivided into many "Baby Bell" subsystems across the US by the Department of Justice.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and foxkits
few reasons it stopped
cost cutting
less waste as many just became childhood clutter
choking risks with some toys

so now some cereals have QR codes to work towards some sort of reward that generally costs you more than the box of cereal

SparkyDog said:
few reasons it stopped
cost cutting
less waste as many just became childhood clutter
choking risks with some toys

so now some cereals have QR codes to work towards some sort of reward that generally costs you more than the box of cereal
Cereal...gads. I spent $25 on 4 "mega-size" boxes of Life cereal last month. Even cereal is pricey! Back in the very old days, John Kellogg came up with "Corn Flakes" because it was cheap to make and sell to institutions, such as 'insane asylums' and so forth, because that's what Kellogg felt 'those people' were worth; you see, Kellogg was a eugenist...someone who felt, as Robbie in Dirty Dancing felt, "some people matter, some don't". That only well-off people deserved to reproduce.

We see where that got us in history: from a British scientist, to a British religious sect, to post-WW1 "Talk of the Town", to Germany, to Hitler...no more need be said. Breakfast cereal has a shaky legacy, despite its high cost. But it's good, gained popularity. However, I refuse to buy anything Kellogg's.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Back