*POLL* MegaMax Tapes Question: Adhesive or Hook & Loop

Adhesive or Hook & Loop Tapes & Landing Zone

• Keep Adhesive Tapes

• Switch to Hook and Loop Style

Results are only viewable after voting.
So @NorthShoreAdam , are you thinking a lite version would have the hook and loop tapes then? I have to admit that sounds very interesting, and would allow people to try the different tapes to decide which is better.

I guess I don't see the value of adding a fastening system known to "travel" to a high-capacity diaper that's designed to become heavy. I get that the tapes would be refastenable, but the adhesive tapes on the MegaMax now hold tight no matter how heavy the diaper gets. Love the idea and innovating thinking, but I'd recommend against it.

-RMS

Reactions: LittleSplit and Teddy
NorthShoreAdam said:
For those that have issues with tapes being too strong right now...assume we are able to improve the adhesive formula to avoid any issues refastening them.

I've never had a problem with the megamax tapes. The adhesive seems quite good, and with the tapes being a little 'wider than average', they stick really well. The front tape panel is also great, it's not too thin but not too hard either.

IMO there's more than enough velcro on the market right now.

Reactions: NorthShoreAdam
I have to say that I was skeptical of the velcro taping systems at first too. I am incontinent, and therefore wear 24/7 for almost 20 years now. I have now tried the rearz hybrid, tykables cammies, and the XP 5000 diapers, all with the hook and loop fastening system, and found all of them to be great. From my experience the tapes hold extremely well, and I have had no issues with any of them. I feel that the ability to adjust the tapes reliably if the plastic stretches and loosens is great. The rearz and tykables are on par with megamax in capacity, and I have tested them to capacity, and had no problems with the tapes failing under the weight of a full diaper. I think given the variability of adhesive quality that has plagued adult diapers for years, that velcro may very well become more popular.

Reactions: Jonnythepony and NorthShoreAdam
I would like to see both versions but if I had to choose just one it would be adhesive tapes.

Vinylfeet said:
I like the Megamax with the tapes like they are. They are epic. They’re the best tapes I’ve ever seen. I completely understand that the tapes might be loud in public situations and why people like hook and loop. If I want that feature, I get a different brand, like Rearz. There are a few choices. But there’s only one product just like Megamax. If you’re going to mess with it, figure out how to get the factories in China to put padding all the way into the wings.

Wis2020ABDL said:
Exactly!!! Padded side wings is a great example of a value wedge, a feature that no other diaper manufacturer offers. Patent that feature, Northshore. We side sleepers would place high value in padding deeper into the wings. There’s not much value in copying your competitors. Create a design feature that is uniquely yours and highly valued by your customers, uniquely solving a problem for side sleepers. But if you’re having these made in China, make sure you have a seasoned patent attorney file the appropriate patents to protect your intellectual property. We all know how China works.

You are both a bit misguided in your quest for more padding in the wings. Baby diaper manufacturers went away from this design in the 90's for good reason and it wasn't to increase profit. I have been modifying diapers for around 20 years now and have found the best way to prevent leaks is to actually remove the extra padding and make it more rectangular in shape. I also move the elastics out away from the padding and make it so the leg elastics are the same distance from the padding as the leak guards when pulled to the outside of the diaper. I also will add elastics to make them more snug and keep the backsheet sealed against the skin. I have even added plastic to the diaper to achieve the desired results. With these modifications I have been able to achieve better absorbancy, more wicking in to the back of the diaper, zero leaks at night (provided I put on a fresh one before bed ;)) and a much better fit. The only thing added padding would do is make a larger area for leaks from the side and back because there is nothing there to keep the waterproof part of the diaper against the skin where it needs to be.

@NorthShoreAdam If there are any mods to be done to the padding, leg elastics or cut of any of your diapers please consider the above.

While the tapes and landing zone on Megamax is great, and actually it's the only one I actually like. Saying that, I'm not against the hook and loop, and I really hope that Northshore can work it in their product line.

The tapes are perfect could be improved for better re-sticking though, shouldn't change what works great~ I do however would like to suggest to increase the leak guards from 2" to 2.5" like betterydry because those are just superior. Also the landing zone is a little noisy, it is possible to research a less noisy plastic landing zone without sacrificing durability?

Reactions: Yooo and NorthShoreAdam
Keep the tapes especially on the MegaMax. I think you could pull a car engine with those. I may be in the minority but I don't take that diaper off until it NEEDS to come off because it's at capacity. I know some people like refastenable, not me with the MegaMax. Can't wait for the black ones.

Reactions: LittleSplit and NorthShoreAdam
iowaincon said:
So @NorthShoreAdam , are you thinking a lite version would have the hook and loop tapes then? I have to admit that sounds very interesting, and would allow people to try the different tapes to decide which is better.
Interesting thought. Not sure yet...

Reactions: LittleSplit
I've yet to try any of the Northshore nappies as I'm from the UK, and you don't sell your products here yet.
But if and when you do which I hope will be soon I'm a fan of hook and loop as I love how you can readjust them multiple times to get the perfect fit.

Only drawback with hook and loop is that you can't roll up the used nappy and use the tapes to keep it rolled up in a tight ball. If you can find a way to help with this issue that would be great.

Reactions: 12srepaid
Crinklesounds said:
I've yet to try any of the Northshore nappies as I'm from the UK, and you don't sell your products here yet.
But if and when you do which I hope will be soon I'm a fan of hook and loop as I love how you can readjust them multiple times to get the perfect fit.

Only drawback with hook and loop is that you can't roll up the used nappy and use the tapes to keep it rolled up in a tight ball. If you can find a way to help with this issue that would be great.

Unfortunately that's the problem with most tape versions too, because the tape will tear the front, deeming them unusable. Megamax is the only adult diaper that I haven't had troubles with.

Reactions: LittleSplit and Crinklesounds
12srepaid said:
Unfortunately that's the problem with most tape versions too, because the tape will tear the front, deeming them unusable. Megamax is the only adult diaper that I haven't had troubles with.
Yup this is why I LOVE the Megamax, it is the most durable product. I can jog and do any extreme activities and it will not pop a single tape which is perfect. Other diapers are problematic and cause issues when they do.

I vote to keep the tapes as is, while I like hook and loop fasteners, sticky tapes on that particular diaper help make it the diaper it is, I think you would be taking away from it, if they were changed out.
Another thing that would be great would be one single tape per side , make the tape wide like 2" and locate the tape about 1" below the top rear waist, many single tapes are located to low, but a mega max chassis with a single hook and loop higher up would be the bomb.

AAO said:
The size and the style is why I would like to see a light version of the Megamax. They fit me better than the Supremes and Supreme Lights. And I think the padding in the Megamaxes holds up better than the Supreme line and doesn’t break apart and clump up.

Yesss, the Padding
I completely forgot to mention that, the padding in the Supremes I'm noticing clumps half way through diaper usage until it becomes squishy again due to usage. I've never had that issue with any MegaMax I've worn, ever.
I was curious to know what the differences are in between these two diapers cores?
And also curious to know if in making a MegaMax lite would call for using the same padding that the Supremes use? I'm hoping not. Because that clumping is incredibly uncomfortable for someone with sensory issues like myself and I imagine for everyone in general. Clumps suck.
(Just wanna take a second to appreciate my MegaMax's, they're incredibly perfect.)
Anyway, can anyone give me an answer to what the differences are in the paddings? I'm assuming it may probably be the type of sap or something..

LittleSplit said:
Yesss, the Padding
I completely forgot to mention that, the padding in the Supremes I'm noticing clumps half way through diaper usage until it becomes squishy again due to usage. I've never had that issue with any MegaMax I've worn, ever.
I was curious to know what the differences are in between these two diapers cores?
And also curious to know if in making a MegaMax lite would call for using the same padding that the Supremes use? I'm hoping not. Because that clumping is incredibly uncomfortable for someone with sensory issues like myself and I imagine for everyone in general. Clumps suck.
(Just wanna take a second to appreciate my MegaMax's, they're incredibly perfect.)
Anyway, can anyone give me an answer to what the differences are in the paddings? I'm assuming it may probably be the type of sap or something..
MegaMax Lite would be very similar to MegaMax in look and feel and performance...just with less polymers insides so total capacity was reduced. It's something we're starting to think about for future...not something that is approved or going to bee produced anytime in near future.

Reactions: AAO, 12srepaid and LittleSplit
NorthShoreAdam said:
MegaMax Lite would be very similar to MegaMax in look and feel and performance...just with less polymers insides so total capacity was reduced. It's something we're starting to think about for future...not something that is approved or going to bee produced anytime in near future.

I'm so super glad to hear that Adam! I would be extremely excited to be able to have a "wear to work" version of my favorite product.
I was also curious if you would know the science behind my question perhaps?
I was just wondering why the Supreme line seems to have a clumping/ hardening issue mid-way through use, as to where the Megamax remains super soft 100% of the time.
Is this because the saps are different in the two lines of product? (Sap is the only guess I have here, as I'm not to savvy in their creation process.)

LittleSplit said:
I'm so super glad to hear that Adam! I would be extremely excited to be able to have a "wear to work" version of my favorite product.
I was also curious if you would know the science behind my question perhaps?
I was just wondering why the Supreme line seems to have a clumping/ hardening issue mid-way through use, as to where the Megamax remains super soft 100% of the time.
Is this because the saps are different in the two lines of product? (Sap is the only guess I have here, as I'm not to savvy in their creation process.)
In our experience, we've seen very little clumping in the Supreme series. That core design does such a great job of wicking that it resists clumping compared with Abena and others. That said, the MegaMax core is made very different from Supreme so it performs differently in almost every way. They are made on two very different machines with very different capabilities and features. MegaMax is much more based on polymer positioning for wicking whereas Supreme utilizes a heavy, dense design of cellulose fluff for fluid management.

Reactions: 12srepaid and LittleSplit
I am just thrilled to see that northshore employees and the owner seem to care about and listen to the people actually use their products, most companies that produce diapers have that " we will tell you what fits your needs or what you should like" mentality which is how we wind up with things like Depend. Thanks for listening @NorthShoreAdam .

• Love
Reactions: 12srepaid, LittleSplit and NorthShoreAdam
KenworthW900b said:
I am just thrilled to see that northshore employees and the owner seem to care about and listen to the people actually use their products, most companies that produce diapers have that " we will tell you what fits your needs or what you should like" mentality which is how we wind up with things like Depend. Thanks for listening @NorthShoreAdam .
Thanks for the kind words. :cool:

If you have to tie hook-and-loops closed then they're a tincy bit of a step backwards tbh!!!!!!!!!!
Have a re-fastening strip across the front but keep it plastic ...can't believe I'm typing that but H&Ls when not done right are a ruddy challenge!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back