Plastic Backed Pull Up Diaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigmatodd

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I Know this has been asked before - but does anyone know of a plastic backed adult pull up diaper?

I heard rumors that the Goodnites indeed do have plastic backing under the cloth outer layer. I decided to verify this yesterday and bought a pack of XL Goodnites and removed the cloth outer layer which was easy to do. They are indeed plastic backed, but there are a couple issues:

(1) Even thought I was able to fit into it - they are a little small
(2) They would not hold much fluid

In searching for adult pull up diapers online, I have not been able to find any with plastic backing. But, it made me think, are there some like the goodnites and there is plastic under the cloth?

Yea, they're all cloth backed. All pull-ups are, but you can, just like you said, rip the cloth liner off, but there's no use. They won't fit you, so the only good they can do is be used as boosters.

Most cloth-backed diapers in general, be they pull-on or tape-on, have a plastic backing underneath the cloth. The exception is "fully breathable" ones, where the waterproof layer really is just tightly-woven cloth. From what I've read, they tend not to be as waterproof as they claim, and are prone to pinhole leaks or what some people call "sweating." Some people insist it's just condensation, but...water condenses on objects that are colder than the surrounding air/colder than the moisture in the air. You get condensation on the outside of a glass holding a cold drink, not on the outside of your hot coffee mug (you may get some condensing momentarily inside your mug, right above the water level, but that's because the mug itself is cooler than the vapor coming off your coffee). It's not going to condense on the outside of a warm, wet diaper. It might condense on the inside, where the inside of the diaper's shell/backsheet is marginally cooler than the wet padding inside the diaper (not unlike condensation inside the coffee mug), but once water vapor is outside the shell, there are plenty of other, much cooler places for it to condense, such as on the inside of your pants. That does bring up an interesting question, though. How much of the moisture buildup people get in their pants while wearing fully breathable diapers is clean water vapor condensing on their pants—assuming only water is vaporizing, which is probably a faulty assumption—versus urine simply leaking straight through? Likely not enough to matter (you're still getting enough urine coming through to make your pants smell), but it's still an interesting question. In any case, that's urine showing up on the outside of the diaper, not just clean water, like many people want to believe.

As for the plastic backings underneath cloth-backed products, you're likely to run into issues when you remove the covers. Because they have those fabric layers there to add strength, they use very thin plastic, because nothing is supposed to be rubbing it directly, and the fabric keeps it from stretching too much. With GoodNites, in particular, I've noticed they coat the plastic in glue, so the plastic is prone to tearing when the fabric comes off.

Felicity pull-ons (I think that's a Rearz product) look like they might have a reasonably thick plastic backing underneath the fabric, but from what I recall of their design in the pictures I've seen, you wouldn't really be able to separate the cloth, because of how the waistband is attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back