People who were IC from birth, were you still potty trained despite your medical condition?

PaddedMewtwo

Autistic diaper lover
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
Were you still potty trained despite the fact that you were born completely IC? Would there be a point to being potty trained if you have no control over your bladder whatsoever?
Asking as a non IC person, I’m just very curious about the subject.

I'm not someone who was IC from birth as posed. However, I'd assume that, in most cases, a parent would have attempted to potty train and then eventually accepted that it wasn't going to happen. Hopefully, they also would've consulted with a physician when those attempts were futile about their child's inability to successfully potty train. The only exception I would really expect would be in a case where a parent understood prior to the potty training years that the child would be unable to achieve any bladder and/or bowel control due to something like an early diagnosis of a medical conditions.

Naturally, I am also interested in hearing the thoughts of those who actually grew up incontinent from birth as this is just my assumption.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePaddedTurtle and PaddedMewtwo
Until age 14 when I had pioneering surgey I was doubly incontinent, after the surgey I still had major bladder problems. At the time I was living in a childrens home and post surgery it took the staff about 8 weeks to get me to the point that I knew when I needed to go and could take my own nappy off and put it on again. The Bladder problems were and are still ongoing and due to spinal problems I'm becoming doubl yincontinet again. So you could say I was half potty trained.

Reactions: PaddedMewtwo
I'm IC from birth. I was potty trained at a little over 2 years. My unable to get training irritated my parents. For myself, I too became frustrated despite trying. After years of medical experts, idiopathic IC became my diagnosis. I never achieved potty training, both urinary and bowel control. After my mom had another child and my parents kind of moved on. Keeping me diapered was easier then not. I also had 2 older siblings that too accepted my IC. I was their brother who was always diapered. Not a big deal for them. My mom did most of my changes. Sometimes my older sister and some babysitters. For years as a kid I tried potty training by siting on the toilet for months. Obviously it was emotionally exhausting. Months went to years. Of course being diapered for school was always embarrassing. And painfully self-shamed. I was even tried for home-schooling for 1 year when I was 7 yrs old. My mom tried but it became clear I was a very bright kid and she knew it wasn't working. I was teased but not terribly so. I had some popular student friends who actually liked me. Some of them would protect me from a few bullies. Thankfully we moved to a new home and went to high school gave me a new fresh chance. I became an athletic young man. A few others knew but for the most part I rarely had public accidents. Some of those I'd rather not remember. I've become some what an introvert. I do have some friends. They know I'm wearing diapers, most of them are suprisingly mature. Life hasn't been easy but I expect most IC people's experiences are similar. I think I began to accept IC when I was 25. Mostly because I can't change the fact that I'm IC.

Reactions: Rezzu, sport1 and PaddedMewtwo
jdlake131 said:
I'm IC from birth. I was potty trained at a little over 2 years. My unable to get training irritated my parents. For myself, I too became frustrated despite trying. After years of medical experts, idiopathic IC became my diagnosis. I never achieved potty training, both urinary and bowel control. After my mom had another child and my parents kind of moved on. Keeping me diapered was easier then not. I also had 2 older siblings that too accepted my IC. I was their brother who was always diapered. Not a big deal for them. My mom did most of my changes. Sometimes my older sister and some babysitters. For years as a kid I tried potty training by siting on the toilet for months. Obviously it was emotionally exhausting. Months went to years. Of course being diapered for school was always embarrassing. And painfully self-shamed. I was even tried for home-schooling for 1 year when I was 7 yrs old. My mom tried but it became clear I was a very bright kid and she knew it wasn't working. I was teased but not terribly so. I had some popular student friends who actually liked me. Some of them would protect me from a few bullies. Thankfully we moved to a new home and went to high school gave me a new fresh chance. I became an athletic young man. A few others knew but for the most part I rarely had public accidents. Some of those I'd rather not remember. I've become some what an introvert. I do have some friends. They know I'm wearing diapers, most of them are suprisingly mature. Life hasn't been easy but I expect most IC people's experiences are similar. I think I began to accept IC when I was 25. Mostly because I can't change the fact that I'm IC.
I was a off and on with potty training then got dry for the most part.Then later in life became urine incontinent then a couple yrs for the most part became double incontinent.

I don’t think my mother tried to potty train me very hard, I never remember it being a point of stress but I do remember sitting on the potty a few time but it was not till I have about to go to school that she got medical input for my IC

Reactions: Rezzu and PaddedMewtwo
PaddedMewtwo said:
Were you still potty trained despite the fact that you were born completely IC? Would there be a point to being potty trained if you have no control over your bladder whatsoever?
Asking as a non IC person, I’m just very curious about the subject.
Hello, personally yes, they tried their best haha. Mostly because they had no idea I was actually incontinent until the age of 5 when we started seeing some doctors because I was still pooping myself every day.
It was honestly very embarassing for myself, I really wanted to be like my friends, like my parents wanted me to be (potty trained) but I just couldn't and kept failing and failing... that feeling of disappointment became much bigger during kindergarden during the last year when I remained the only kid still needing "proper diapers" while the others were either already perfectly trained or only needed training pants for sometimes wetting issues.

Reactions: DiaperDiva, sport1 and PaddedMewtwo
I was fully potty trained at an early age, but struggled with a "weak" bladder and stress incontinence until I became urinary incontinent as I approached 40. I later found out that I have a neurogenic bladder with detrusor sphincter dyssynergia, and I've had it since birth, which explains the "weak" bladder and stress incontinence for my first 40 years.

My father's side of the family has a long and extensive history of bedwetting. My father was able to "fix" his bedwetting when he joined the navy at 16 to fight WW2. He had no patience when it came to wetting oneself or a wet bed. My mother was embarrassed by everything: you don't discuss such things. Because of this, I somehow figured out how to hold water.

Reactions: PaddedMewtwo
Back