partition table question

LittleSissieJolie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Little, Incontinent
My dumb a## got a Multi Writer, which was the only 'write an .iso to a thumb drive" utility that actually didn't make an ugly mess with a "unknown filesystem", essentially useful as slingshot ammo. But can be reformatted. So I got my brand (to me) new utility distro finnix.111 and it booted and didn't look bad. except for it eating five distributions and the partition table. Fortunately I hadn't put data on them, just got all installed and Grub. So it's like giving my self a half terabyte drive clean as free as Factory Settings.The fun part is What Partition table should I use? my quad-processor can go 64 bit. even though its intel I can run it as amd64 or ARM emulation.

I got a list, atari, aix, amiga, bsd, dvh, gpt, mac, pc98, sun, loop or msdos. mostly won't support the disk and processor and ram. So I know atari, msdos or loop ain't going to support. I'm going for a stroll so as to not go insane, then come back to it.

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
I'm confused. What did you do, and what's the problem you're having...?

What's a "Multi Writer"...? Just a program that writes an ISO to flash memory? Have a look at Etcher -- available for Linux and Windows systems. It's very reliable and easy to use.

What Partition table should I use? my quad-processor can go 64 bit. even though its intel I can run it as amd64 or ARM emulation.

I got a list, atari, aix, amiga, bsd, dvh, gpt, mac, pc98, sun, loop or msdos. mostly won't support the disk and processor and ram. So I know atari, msdos or loop ain't going to support. I'm going for a stroll so as to not go insane, then come back to it.
Use msdos. It's the standard one for PCs.

LittleSissieJolie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Little, Incontinent
Oh I got it done. GPT. What I tried by asking was to not have to spend a lot of time on experience. the Gnome Multi writer took off the Partition Table. And ate my partitions. I didn't ever have to replace the Partition Table and especially what's compatible with EFI. My MultiWriter was the only on synaptic (knoppix8.2 with 64bit) that didn't throw dependency errors. There's a warning on what little available documentation I had found. But I'm fearless. Some people are afraid of the darkness. The darkness is afraid of ME. The best part was I didn't have anything on the partition that a)costs money or b) not archived elsewhere. oh, and I got my working flash drive. Irony on the hoof, the finnix distro is for repairing other distros.

Last edited:

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
Oh, GPT! Of course! D'oh -- I'm so used to working with the old BIOS systems I always forget about UEFI and GPT.

Glad you got it sorted, and scared the darkness into submission! :-D