Overcoming Anxiety and Seeing a Doctor

A doctor is not interested in how you deal with your symptoms, only what the symptoms are. Be honest when you discuss it with your doctor. Let your doctor know you are having bladder issues. When they ask what do you mean, describe what your bladder is doing. If you're having frequency, it's best to have a diary of how often you are going for at least the past week. If it's aching, spasming, cramping, let them know. If you are passing urine uncontrollably, whether occasionally or constantly, let them know. Then let them lead the conversation from there. Simply answer any questions they ask. The doctor may palpate your abdomen for masses and tenderness. A urine specimen will probably be asked for at the beginning of the appointment and a blood draw at the conclusion. Based on all the data the doctor can determine the best course of action: treatment or referral.

Diaper, brief, pull-up, pad, protection, whatever is irrelevant to a doctor if you uncontrollably pass urine at any time. If that is not an issue, don't wear unnecessary protection to your appointment. If protection is required, then wear something appropriate and generic. If your doctor does encounter your protection you need them to be focused on your bladder issue, not your choice of protection.

• Love
Reactions: CptKirk, eastcoastdl, Edgewater and 1 other person
LittleNomster said:
Trying to see a doctor about urinary frequency and need advice (not medical advice).

How did you guys take the first step and see a doctor. How did you overcome the overwhelming anxiety and come out about your problem, and did you talk about diaper usage?
Best advice I can give is simply be honest and describe your situation and what you feel. Leaving nothing out...as far as the anxiety of it all ....there urologist...they have many patients that wear I guarantee that I was very lucky my urologist is amazing he made it very easy to talk about which was great because boy was I struggling he was very quick to make it a point that it was nothing abnormal or unusual and that he sees people in my situation many many times every day and that he really just wanted me to be upfront and honest as I could be..... In the end we figured out that I have several conditions and that diapers were the best way of handling my situation for now. I have some nerve damage, oab, painful bladder syndrome, and pelvic floor dysfunction. So control is something I just don't have anymore. Getting past the embarrassment and anxiety of talking to my Dr was hard but very worth it in the end. Best of luck and be strong

Reactions: geka, daylight, LittleNomster and 1 other person
Raven801 said:
Best advice I can give is simply be honest and describe your situation and what you feel. Leaving nothing out...as far as the anxiety of it all ....there urologist...they have many patients that wear I guarantee that I was very lucky my urologist is amazing he made it very easy to talk about which was great because boy was I struggling he was very quick to make it a point that it was nothing abnormal or unusual and that he sees people in my situation many many times every day and that he really just wanted me to be upfront and honest as I could be..... In the end we figured out that I have several conditions and that diapers were the best way of handling my situation for now. I have some nerve damage, oab, painful bladder syndrome, and pelvic floor dysfunction. So control is something I just don't have anymore. Getting past the embarrassment and anxiety of talking to my Dr was hard but very worth it in the end. Best of luck and be strong
thanks

Reactions: Edgewater
LittleNomster said:
Trying to see a doctor about urinary frequency and need advice (not medical advice).

How did you guys take the first step and see a doctor. How did you overcome the overwhelming anxiety and come out about your problem, and did you talk about diaper usage?
The Doctor was very matter of fact and referred me to the hospital urology team and then the incontinence nurse.

Reactions: LittleNomster and Edgewater
Be open an honest with your doctor and try to remember theres no shame in needing to wear diapers to Manage your bladder issue, your doctor has probably seen a large number of patients that have bladder issues.
get a referral to an urologist if you have not already gotten one they will do a few tests (ultrasound and camera scan of the inside of your bladder) the tests quick and easy I found it interesting to watch the screen while the Dr was inserting the camera and it was not painful.

I decided to skip the meds and simply wear and use a diaper to manage my IC issue (my wife was admitted that I skip the meds as well)

I went to my family doctor and just told her i lost control of my bladder two times in three days and that the pain was really bad for some month.
I was really nervous, but she was very serious moment on. She took urine sample, ultrasound and gave me a "emergency letter" for an urologist and got me an appointment. Talking to the first urologist was much worse and i got nearly a trauma from the examination and medical gaslighting - and i am really a taff guy. When you do not feel well with the way the doctor is handling you problem, go to the next one.
I needed to change my urologist four times until one really took me serious and did the right examinations.

Last edited:
Reactions: daylight, LittleNomster and Edgewater
That is great as a poor doctor does no one any good. I have been very lucky regarding Doctors as I tell the individual that schedules that I need a 'frank' and to the 'honest' doctor as that is whom I am.

Reactions: CptKirk and Pino
It can be scary but no one there will judge you. The increase in quality of life is well worth the temporary discomfort. I didn’t see fantastic results when I finally talked myself into it, but I did see results! There is always help medically available and you should really go :)

LittleNomster said:

No matter how hard it is, you owe it to yourself to discuss all issues with your Dr. If you don't trust your physician you need to find one you do trust. When I first encountered U-IC I tried hiding it until I was hospitalized and peed myself 5x when my nurse asked me if I was having any problems and initially I lied but I felt so horrible about lying to someone's face that I called her back minutes later and lost it as I broke down and told her about my problems. My PCP was not thrilled that I had been hiding this issue but understood. He did make me promise him that I would never hide a medical issue again and I've kept my word although it's difficult.

I feel that you really owe it to yourself to discuss this with your Dr or Dr's as the beneficiary is YOU! Of course they can't waive a magic wand and make everything go away but by seeing Urologists and having all of the tests done I did manage to retain SOME control for more than 15 years when I really began to lose that battle. I have been wetting while asleep with zero improvement since 2000 but my daytime issues did get better once I began seeking treatment. Better in that for years I'd be able to go to the bathroom and know I was good for that 2 hour ride with my friends. Things like that. My main issue back then was that I sleep way more than I ever imagined and even if I dozed off for a few minutes, odds are good I'd wake up wet. Today I have very little control and it comes and goes. Sometimes I can't control this at all while at others I get "flashes" though again, nothing consistent. I still try to retain what minimal control I have as I hate giving up but the writing has been on the wall for 5-6 years now and is what it is.

You simply must convince yourself that it is necessary to tell your Dr everything, and believe me, they're not going to make you feel belittled or embarrassed in any way, shape or form. The Dr's I have are AMAZING though it took a long time and many misses before I found different Dr's that I believed are doing everything in their power to help me. It's worth the fight. Trust me on that.

CptKirk

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and LittleNomster
LittleNomster said:

Sorry to be a little late to this post. Two pieces of advice. First, set your own expectations first. For example, "I want to get to the bottom of the issue and fix it if possible with or without ______xxx_____" (fill in how much or how little you are willing to do/go); be realistic of course! Then find a doctor that will follow your wishes. For example, in my case I said (way back when) I wanted to go back to a near 90%+ continency without surgical intervention; was willing to do drug therapy, PT/OT, lifestyle change, etc. But no surgery. And was willing to accept living with diapers if that was the last course. Well, it turned out it was.

Second, be ready for some "failure". Sometimes we come across a medical professional that is just not "professional". One particular doctor was just quite mean. My take was he couldn't find a fix for me so it must be my fault. Needless to say I dumped him real fast. Now I have a doc that is just a "let's just watch you and make sure nothing changes that indicates another issue". And if I want to change something or try a different approach I bring it up to her. A couple of times she suggested a new modality; after discussion I realized it wasn't for me and she dropped it. Now that is a medical professional.

Reactions: Edgewater and LittleNomster
Well I was waiting to hear back before I updated but I had an appointment friday and just couldnt get the words out. I just froze, but it still wasnt a waste of time. So my friend helped me write a message thru the portal and even tho it took hours to do so i eventually sent it. I should hear something this week, maybe even today. Im still anxious as hell but not as bad now that the information is out.

Last edited:
On any given day doctors have to deliver catastrophic news. They have to tell parents that their six-year-old just had her last Christmas. They have to tell intelligent, accomplished people that the disease they have just been diagnosed with will end up leaving them in a vegetative state. Or worse, that their mind will be perfectly fine but their body will essentially become useless to them. They have to tell spouses that the injuries sustained were simply too severe and their loved one has died. They have to ask them, despite the devastating news, that there is a kid upstairs who needs a liver, a young mum the next town over that could desperately use a new heart, and an artist who is losing her vision. Would they consider donating the organs of someone who just hours ago was living their life?

Relative to that, talking to your doctor about something as mundane as a plumbing issue might just be relief.

Years ago I went to the doctor concerning a wax build up in my ears. Within five minutes of sitting down, I went from hearing that was diminished by about 90 per cent to a full 100 per cent hearing ability (well, minus whatever damage Van Halen did in 1985). My doctor at the time commented that when he was in med school he imagined his days would be filled with saving people from heart attacks and delivering babies on airplanes. It never occurred to him what relief a simple ear lavage would bring.

Go see your doctor. Be forthright and honest. Write it down if you think you might lose your nerve. Your doctor has had to deal with much worse than you have to offer. Be grateful for that blessing.

• Love
Reactions: Pino, LittleNomster, CptKirk and 1 other person
JDCH said:
On any given day doctors have to deliver catastrophic news. They have to tell parents that their six-year-old just had her last Christmas. They have to tell intelligent, accomplished people that the disease they have just been diagnosed with will end up leaving them in a vegetative state. Or worse, that their mind will be perfectly fine but their body will essentially become useless to them. They have to tell spouses that the injuries sustained were simply too severe and their loved one has died. They have to ask them, despite the devastating news, that there is a kid upstairs who needs a liver, a young mum the next town over that could desperately use a new heart, and an artist who is losing her vision. Would they consider donating the organs of someone who just hours ago was living their life?

Relative to that, talking to your doctor about something as mundane as a plumbing issue might just be relief.

Years ago I went to the doctor concerning a wax build up in my ears. Within five minutes of sitting down, I went from hearing that was diminished by about 90 per cent to a full 100 per cent hearing ability (well, minus whatever damage Van Halen did in 1985). My doctor at the time commented that when he was in med school he imagined his days would be filled with saving people from heart attacks and delivering babies on airplanes. It never occurred to him what relief a simple ear lavage would bring.

Go see your doctor. Be forthright and honest. Write it down if you think you might lose your nerve. Your doctor has had to deal with much worse than you have to offer. Be grateful for that blessing.
That was a Nazareth show for me! After the show I thought the battery in my 442 died. Nope. I simply couldn't hear it crank or start/run! I was scared shitless. My ears were RINGING for days but by some fucking miracle, my hearing came back. I don't understand HOW, but I've been torturing my ears with wickedly LOUD music since I was 10 or so and still hear pretty damn well! Thankful for that too cause IF I couldn't jam out to rock/metal and sometimes blues & folk I'd rather be fucking dead. Music is about the main thing that drives me and always has.

Reactions: JDCH and Edgewater
I'm on Diaper 247 one big part that made my IC worse that been 7 years of abuse in a very nasty marriage. Result my IC is worse and my anxiety has been to the roof, now IC is still in the same diaper althethe time and trying to heal the wounds that 3 years now

• Wow
1st off I had a normal annual Doctor visit and he asked do you have anything to talk about I told him told him my issues and said so far I have gone from Pull-Ups to Diapers to manage my Incontinence. Then we started the discussion of what caused it. I went back to COVID in Nov. of 2020 and then to make sure nothing was wrong with my body internally hidden that only tests could find. I also said I am not taking any drugs to manage my problem we are still going through tests to ensure all is OK. I have had Techs tell me I am not alone after having long COVID. But obviously, they are not Doctors it is comforting just to know I or we are not alone.

Reactions: Edgewater and uknappygirl
My first conversations came up as part of something else. I have found that it's important to have a doctor you can trust. In the UK, you have the right to choose who to see and you can change if you want to. I didn't know that at first so I was stuck with a male doctor who I didn't really feel understood my needs or experiences especially in this area. Also, something I realised was that doctors hear all kinds of things all of the time, for them it is just part of the job. Good luck, hope it goes well.

Neroforte said:
I'm on Diaper 247 one big part that made my IC worse that been 7 years of abuse in a very nasty marriage. Result my IC is worse and my anxiety has been to the roof, now IC is still in the same diaper althethe time and trying to heal the wounds that 3 years now
sorry to read this. I hope things get better for you.

LittleNomster said:

You can ask for a urology consult it's really no big deal the hardest thing is fear of stuff. Nothing to it but to do it. Courage isn't no fear it's being scare but doing the thing anyway. You can do it I'm proud of you! - Bubby (written with staff communication assistance )

Reactions: LittleNomster and uknappygirl
I was so nervous the first couple times I went to the doctor wearing a diaper that my blood pressure was crazy high. Once I talked to my doctor about it, she was extremely caring. She told me that she really doesn’t mind if I’m wearing diapers even if it’s just because I want to.

I’ve never had a bad experience with this doctor, she is very nice and calming. One day I had to go in for her to look at my lower back and she asked why wasn’t wearing a diaper. I told her because I knew I would be taking my shirt off and I was so nervous she’d see the diaper. She just gave me a “really” look and told me not to worry about it.

Now I wear ABDL designed diapers to appointments and even have my binky. She is 100% ok with everything. We live in a small town and I ran into her at our kid’s book fair and she introduce me to her husband and we all talked for a while.

Honestly, doctors deal with a lot of negativity every day. So I think when they see something that makes one of their patients happy, they grab onto it and make it a positive thing. She even commented last month when I showed up wearing a plain white diaper. She said no cutsie diapers today? I said no, just a boring day.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: leakerABDL, Pino, LittleNomster and 1 other person
i don't know about anxiety about seeing a doctor or medical services. my anxiety is centered around whatever issue i am dealing with when there is an unknown regarding my health. i guess the best advice is start with your general practitioner doctor. scheduling an appointment and speak freely about what is happening and your concerns. let your general practitioner guide you. prior to the appointment brainstorm your thoughts by writing down your concerns and possible questions. your doctor is there to help you not judge you. be open and honest your doctor needs to know everything in order to treat you properly. i have never had an issue freely talking to my doctors. once to start opening up you may find your comfort zone chatting. a good doctor listens and gets to know you personally. your health is super important so it is not a good idea to avoid seeing your doctor. i always commend everyone see their general practitioner at least once a year for a check up not only when you are feeling sick. finding a doctor you trust is important. IC and diapers aren't anything new to the medical profession. good luck

Back