One good thing about cold winters..

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
My frozen wet diapers don't smell as much in the trash can out back.

In summer, the cans get quite ripe, since we have garbage collection every other week (to encourage weekly green bin recycling). Soiled diapers must be a real treat for those affected.

I'm dreading the day when one of our visiting in-laws go to put something in our trash can and notice that distinctive diaper smell. I suppose then my secret will be out (only immediate family knows about my IC).

Apparently, we will soon be getting weekly medical waste garbage pickup:
However, ... diapers will need to be disposed of in clear bags to ensure no other garbage is being disposed of along with the diapers.
This is not going to work for me! I'm not putting my diapers in clear plastic bags at the end of the driveway, so my in-laws can see them when they walk by our house. I don't even let my wife (who knows) to view my embarrassing refuse. Anyway, I don't think they're recycling the diapers but only disposing of them weekly rather than bi-weekly.

Attachments

• Medical_Waste.jpg
    Medical_Waste.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 33
I'm sorry they're making this such a difficult situation for you.
But I have to ask.... is that mountain of used diapers in that photo? If so, this does not look physically or phycological healthy.

Reactions: KrankyPants
LaPew said:
I'm sorry they're making this such a difficult situation for you.
I complain but it's no real burden since I've just kept them in the usual trash can last year (out door cans). It just tends to reek when you go to add something else to the can.
But I have to ask.... is that mountain of used diapers in that photo? If so, this does not look physically or phycological healthy.
That photo is from some news post about the coming changes to our garbage collection. I have no idea how they arranged that pile. In fact, the medical waste collection might be in effect now, because upon reviewing that article again, I noticed that it was posted in 2020.

Reactions: KrankyPants
slimjiminy said:
My frozen wet diapers don't smell as much in the trash can out back.

In summer, the cans get quite ripe, since we have garbage collection every other week (to encourage weekly green bin recycling). Soiled diapers must be a real treat for those affected.

I'm dreading the day when one of our visiting in-laws go to put something in our trash can and notice that distinctive diaper smell. I suppose then my secret will be out (only immediate family knows about my IC).

Apparently, we will soon be getting weekly medical waste garbage pickup:

This is not going to work for me! I'm not putting my diapers in clear plastic bags at the end of the driveway, so my in-laws can see them when they walk by our house. I don't even let my wife (who knows) to view my embarrassing refuse. Anyway, I don't think they're recycling the diapers but only disposing of them weekly rather than bi-weekly.
Yeah, one of the good things about winter.
There's a similar situation where I live, collection every other week. But in the summer there's "luckily" something that covers the smell from the reeking diapers.
The smell from shrimp waste that's been out in the bin standing in the sun.☠️ Summer is shrimp time. I feel sorry for the garbage collectors.

I too fear that soon we cannot put the diapers in colored plastic bags, but will have to drop them unpacked in the bin, for all family and neighbors to see.

I feel your waste disposal problems. Everything is now so geared to recycling and checking of said recycling... Everything has to be in see-through plastic bags. Yellow for metal and plastic, white for unrecyclable rubbish.
Also all smaller household bin bags are now becoming transparent as they lower the weight. We have weekly collections in our condominium, but even so, trying to hide the contents from the neighbours is rather tricky.
My saving is that there is another family that has nappies going out (visibly) so i try and 'add' mine to theirs so they won't be (so) noticeable.

The cold winter means that I can store my nappies in a storage area in the house until the night before rubbish collection. When things warm up, that will be impossible.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing the other day. Especially since they started with recycling and going from twice a week pick-up to a single pick-up every week.
My wet diapers are one thing. My dirty diapers are in a league of there own 😏 though.
The city does provide some half way decent, heavy duty bins though. One for recyclables and another for house hold thrash. Both with lids that have done a half way decent job with holding back any odor. During the summer or warmer months though, the one for house hold thrash will still make your eyes water when it's lid is thrown back and opened.
I'm at the point though, that I could really care less about trying to conceal, disguise or hide the little rolled up, toxic, pee and poop bombs that are visible through the semi clear plastic thrash bags.

Babyboyzen said:
I was thinking the same thing the other day. Especially since they started with recycling and going from twice a week pick-up to a single pick-up every week.
My wet diapers are one thing. My dirty diapers are in a league of there own 😏 though.
Nullo does help the smell, but your poo will have a decidedly greenish tinge

@slimjiminy - I started using BOS disposable bags (size L) they hold 2-4 diapers/pullons, and they really live up to their advertising, no smell. Recommend you give them a try.

I can't seem to find them here in Canada or Walmart. However, there are pet bags that probably work equally well.

I don't worry much about the outdoor garbage can too much but I do delay putting my diapers out there. I usually save up 2-4 days of urinary used diapers placed into ZipLock freezer bags. That then goes into a tied kitchen catcher bag. That contains the smell long enough for me to postpone a trip to the outdoors for proper disposal. Otherwise I'd have to make frequent tips up/down stairs and put coat on etc., which is especially inconvenient in winter.

Back