New custom made knitted onesie and accessories

lilzander382

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
So, I think it was Belarin who motivated me for this when he said he was attempting to upsize a Drop Design knitted onesie. I cannot for the life of me find that thread he posted on it. It was this...

6c-2.jpg

So, I do have a local friend who sews and crochets and I came out to her as an ABDL and asked her if she could attempt to make on like that to fit me and she agreed. That pattern ended up being a little more complicated for her since her skills were in crocheting and not knitting, so we ended up with this one instead.

Attachments

• 1676763054672.png
    1676763054672.png
    382.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230218_162751[2].jpg
    20230218_162751[2].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230218_162908[1].jpg
    20230218_162908[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230218_162915[1].jpg
    20230218_162915[1].jpg
    971.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230218_162935[1].jpg
    20230218_162935[1].jpg
    633.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230218_162944[1].jpg
    20230218_162944[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230218_163002[1].jpg
    20230218_163002[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230218_163125[1].jpg
    20230218_163125[1].jpg
    1,005.3 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Belarin
Yes it was me and I also can't remember the thread I posted that on, probably have on a couple as I love that Drops design.

That's a nice looking simple onesie they made though, I do love seeing a front snap/button crotch piece rather than between the legs. Only suggestion I'd make (and it may be partly from the way they are laid out for photos) is that the front of the chest should come down a bit lower and the front crotch piece where it button up should be the same width, it looks a little thin and will pull at the top in the middle like that, whereas if it reaches to the sides it spreads that pull out more.

The Drops Celestina is definitely a tricky one to adapt sizes with and is complicated to knit even with experience and is not written in the most clearest of ways meaning you really do need to know how to read patterns properly. What I found worked best for me was to use a different weight yarn, this design calls for sport/baby weight (5 ply) and I used Aran/Worsted weight (10 ply) as well as slightly larger needles (can't remember what size I used though).

If your friend wants to try knitting it in a larger size for you what I would suggest is to use the needle size (3 I believe) and sport weight yarn the pattern suggests and knit a square swatch with 20 stitches on the needles and then measure how wide it is.

The largest size the pattern goes to is 3-4 years and has nearly 200 stitches on the needles so with 20 stitches that measurement times 10 should be around 20-22" which is the average chest size for a 3 year old.

Now do the same swatch again in Aran/Worsted weight yarn with a bigger needle (maybe a size 7-9 sizes are different in US-UK you want probably about 4-4.5mm maybe even 5mm). Now measure the width of that swatch and multiply by 10 you should hopefully find it comes to around 40" which is an average adult size.

If the second swatch calculation hits around 40 and that's big enough for you (I don't know your chest size) great just follow the pattern using the largest numbers, if it's a little too big you can either have it loose fitting or use the next pattern size down, if it's going to be too big then you may need to use either larger needles again (do the swatches until the calculation hits your range) or you may have to add a few extra stitches to the pattern.

Adding extra stitches is not too much of an issue, if you look at the picture you'll see the design flows in bands of different stitch patterns you can simply use the extra stitches to make some of these wider or if you know other stitch patterns you can make up a band of your own to put in somewhere, you just need to remember where you are doing them as you read through the patterns.

hope you enjoy it, knit onesies are so snuggly.

My girlfriend crocheted a short all for me 😃

Reactions: longallsboy
Belarin said:
Yes it was me and I also can't remember the thread I posted that on, probably have on a couple as I love that Drops design.

That's a nice looking simple onesie they made though, I do love seeing a front snap/button crotch piece rather than between the legs. Only suggestion I'd make (and it may be partly from the way they are laid out for photos) is that the front of the chest should come down a bit lower and the front crotch piece where it button up should be the same width, it looks a little thin and will pull at the top in the middle like that, whereas if it reaches to the sides it spreads that pull out more.

The Drops Celestina is definitely a tricky one to adapt sizes with and is complicated to knit even with experience and is not written in the most clearest of ways meaning you really do need to know how to read patterns properly. What I found worked best for me was to use a different weight yarn, this design calls for sport/baby weight (5 ply) and I used Aran/Worsted weight (10 ply) as well as slightly larger needles (can't remember what size I used though).

If your friend wants to try knitting it in a larger size for you what I would suggest is to use the needle size (3 I believe) and sport weight yarn the pattern suggests and knit a square swatch with 20 stitches on the needles and then measure how wide it is.

The largest size the pattern goes to is 3-4 years and has nearly 200 stitches on the needles so with 20 stitches that measurement times 10 should be around 20-22" which is the average chest size for a 3 year old.

Now do the same swatch again in Aran/Worsted weight yarn with a bigger needle (maybe a size 7-9 sizes are different in US-UK you want probably about 4-4.5mm maybe even 5mm). Now measure the width of that swatch and multiply by 10 you should hopefully find it comes to around 40" which is an average adult size.

If the second swatch calculation hits around 40 and that's big enough for you (I don't know your chest size) great just follow the pattern using the largest numbers, if it's a little too big you can either have it loose fitting or use the next pattern size down, if it's going to be too big then you may need to use either larger needles again (do the swatches until the calculation hits your range) or you may have to add a few extra stitches to the pattern.

Adding extra stitches is not too much of an issue, if you look at the picture you'll see the design flows in bands of different stitch patterns you can simply use the extra stitches to make some of these wider or if you know other stitch patterns you can make up a band of your own to put in somewhere, you just need to remember where you are doing them as you read through the patterns.

hope you enjoy it, knit onesies are so snuggly.
LOL, when my friend first started main body, I was the hunch back of Notre Dame and she had to roll it back big time. I am 150-160 lbs wet, but I do like the end result. Thank you Belarin for prompting me to this.

lilzander382 said:
LOL, when my friend first started main body, I was the hunch back of Notre Dame and she had to roll it back big time. I am 150-160 lbs wet, but I do like the end result. Thank you Belarin for prompting me to this.
No problem, knitted/crocheted onesies can be so cute and cozy, best of all if made with real wool (no synthetics) and treated right with lanolin they can add an extra moderately waterproof layer to help against leaks, Wool nappy covers have been and still often are used with babies and small children instead of plastic pants over a cloth diaper.

Do you know if your friend started from the top working down or bottom working up? It's easier to get the shape right starting at the top as you can make a "yoke" that is the right size fitted around the shoulders and then just extend down like a jumper, once long enough you can bind off and shape a crotch piece and test it on for size to get the shape right

Back