• Twin

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Full

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Queen

Votes: 12 21.1%

• Total voters
mistykitty said:
@BobbiSueEllen I voted for full but I will say that @LittleAndAlone might be on to something. It's the size that's almost right in the middle so it will fit kiddier designs then some bigger ones might. I feel full might be the best balance but twin is the next best choice.
I agree. I posted back to him that lengthening the Twin crib slightly, for a slight additional price, will address that perfectly.

Reactions: BBBen, Edgewater and mistykitty
BobbiSueEllen said:
I agree. I posted back to him that lengthening the Twin crib slightly, for a slight additional price, will address that perfectly.
Must've missed that post but very good solution @BobbiSueEllen :) (y)

Reactions: BBBen, BobbiSueEllen and Edgewater
I am way outside of my comfort zone here and my comments are targeted strictly on the engineering side!

Standing, represents the most demanding issues regarding loading (over all strength) as loading points become smaller and heavier (the difference between laying and standing). Add movement and the structural demands skyrocket. Kingsize beds are commonly lower to allow an adult to swing their legs out as they step on the floor to get out, rarely are their frames designed to support jumping,

Toddlers tend to jump out of bed just because it more fun, as a result, Age transition beds tend to target lower heights or adjustable heights for the high-end multi-year designs that grow with the child.

As noted by the Warning supplied by BobbiSueEllen, his construction does not meet the latest Government specifications. Great care must the taken to either grossly increase the structure or limit activities like standing, jumping, etc. with higher height settings. As the height become lower like an Adult level King-size bed and with an heavy duty frame, the increase strength allows for more activities.

Enjoy!

Reactions: littledub1955, BBBen, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
Edgewater said:
I am way outside of my comfort zone here and my comments are targeted strictly on the engineering side!
I don't mind; I'm more of an engineering aide with many extras and I always welcome insight.

Edgewater said:
Standing represents the most demanding issues regarding loading (over all strength) as loading points become smaller and heavier (the difference between laying and standing). Add movement and the structural demands skyrocket. Kingsize beds are commonly lower to allow an adult to swing their legs out as they step on the floor to get out, rarely are their frames designed to support jumping.
Agreed. The further away from the legs, the greater the stresses toward the center. Also, standing renders the same weight in a smaller area, in my instance approximately 200 lbs/sq. ft., feet together; feet apart decreases the load focus significantly, but the weight is still there. Laying down decreases the loading to 35.3 lbs/sq. ft. The 9-inch mattress is a great buffer for loading, tending to spread the load around even more. As far as swaying...no issues, the structure is rather robust and sway-resistant in X and Z axes.

Edgewater said:
As noted by the Warning supplied by BobbiSueEllen, his construction does not meet the latest Government specifications. Great care must the taken to either grossly increase the structure or limit activities like standing, jumping, etc. with higher height settings. As the height become lower like an Adult level King-size bed and with an heavy duty frame, the increase strength allows for more activities.
The latest government specs for baby cribs, sure, and I put it there to let others know that the cribs I make must never be used for anyone under 18; I will also add they must never be used for the infirm, injured and/or those with reduced/impaired mental acuity. These cribs are strictly for personal, recreational use.

The current design for the average crib is pretty much frozen-in-place for a room with average vertical space; the option for a slightly-taller crib will be available for those with higher ceilings, bearing in mind that a taller crib structure = more stress due to live-weight movement and greater leverage (moment arm). This will be stated to the purchaser who chooses a taller crib. Danke!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Edgewater
I think it'd be funny to make a california king sized crib. Realistically a XL full size crib is fine. Tho i'd hope my bigs can fit with me lol I'd love to drag them to my nursery for cuddles in my crib. I want a big nursey at some point. A crib, high chair, toy box, changing table, bouncer and a closet full of little clothes!

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
I would love a queen crib tbh. I wanna feel super little in there.

I'm going with full size. More room for stuffies and a second baby while still feeling snug and secure.

• Love
I know you mentioned cribs, but I was wondering if you had any plans to build other items; such as, rocking horses, or high chairs?

MeDisneyBaby said:
I know you mentioned cribs, but I was wondering if you had any plans to build other items; such as, rocking horses, or high chairs?
I do have a high-chair designed and one built...this:

High Chair - New Home.png
Just an FYI: I've since added a 2-inch adjustable, webbed nylon seatbelt with dual buckles and crotch t-strap. 🥳🥰

• Love
Reactions: ryan8710, BlueDude, Hockeyczar and 3 others
BobbiSueEllen said:
I do have a high-chair designed and one built...this:

Just an FYI: I've since added a 2-inch adjustable, webbed nylon seatbelt with dual buckles and crotch t-strap. 🥳🥰

VERY NICE!!!

• Love
Belarin said:
I personally couldn't have a crib/cot at the moment, a) no space and b) not enough privacy.

The mattress I have at the moment on my bed is classed here as a continental single (90cmx200cm or about 36"x76") and is plenty big enough for me (I am quite short at about 5'7" ish) so I'd say for me if I ever had a crib a twin/twinXL would be a good size. Bigger would definitely help with feeling small but I think that would be too much without a fairly large room dedicated as a nursery.

The thing I would want is height. I'd be fine with the base of the bed being only just off the floor (couple inches) but I would want the top of the bars to come at least to around peck height if I was stood in it (so probably around 4.5-5 foot high.

I was about to suggest exactly the same thing myself, I have seen a couple of variations of this chair and desk combo and actually have it in mind to try and make one when I can figure out what size beams of wood I will need to support an adults weight (the bars used on the children's ones are not very thick and I can see something that size snapping under an adult).

It shouldn't be too hard to do and for me I could keep it as a chair and desk with my sewing machine on and call it a work station and no one would bat an eyelid at it.

You're 5 feet 7 inches? What shoe size do you wear? Do you have smaller feet?

I'm 5 feet 11 inches tall and I am close to 180 pounds and I wear a size 9 men's USA (42 European).

I have a friend who is two inches shorter and weighs 65 pounds less. He wears a 6 men's USA (38 European).

I hate being tall!! Being tall is not an advantage if you have Autism like me and act like a 4 year old - it's a nightmare.

- longallsboy

Last edited:
  • Sad
Edgewater said:

Standing, represents the most demanding issues regarding loading (over all strength) as loading points become smaller and heavier (the difference between laying and standing). Add movement and the structural demands skyrocket. Kingsize beds are commonly lower to allow an adult to swing their legs out as they step on the floor to get out, rarely are their frames designed to support jumping,

Toddlers tend to jump out of bed just because it more fun, as a result, Age transition beds tend to target lower heights or adjustable heights for the high-end multi-year designs that grow with the child.

Enjoy!

I could personally jump into my crib at age 3 (years old) by hoisting myself over the top, sometimes wearing overalls, with my then little feet between the slats. I was still sleeping in a crib then, in 1979-1980. I slept in a crib through nursery school until my baby brother who was born when I was 4 1/2 evicted me from my crib. 😁😂

I didn't talk till I was 3 1/2 years old because of my delayed language acquisition due to my Autism, but I knew how to throw myself into my crib before I even started talking. 😁🤷

I totally remember being a 3 year old. Not everyone has those memories intact. In that way, I'm lucky I have those memories. I wish I treasured being a 3 year old more and made the days last longer or extended them. I definitely remember also being in this one parent participation nursery school at age 3 1/2 to 4 years old for an entire "school" year (September 1979 to June 1980), and two different ones that were preschools at age 4 1/2. Because after I went to kindergarten at age 5 1/2, all Hell broke loose. I never had teachers complain about me or my behavior in preschool, unlike after I went to kindergarten. In fact, if I knew what the rest of my life was going to be like, when I was 3 years old, I would have found a way to stunt my growth or have some sort of growth attenuation, and stayed physically 3 forever, albeit as a pituitary dwarf that looked like a 3 or 4 year old. It would have better for me, and likely, better for the alls of society.

- longallsboy

Last edited:
The reason I say full is you can get child bedding to fit a full size mattress cheaper to shipping too.
A big thing about a cib is looking baby like child sheets and bedding goes a great way towards that sound like a great hobby.

Reactions: littledub1955, DLYUL and BobbiSueEllen
Screenshot_20240315-175345~2.pngScreenshot_20240315-175406~2.pngScreenshot_20240315-175621~2.pngScreenshot_20240315-175442~2.pngare just a few to be found

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240315-175621~2.png
    Screenshot_20240315-175621~2.png
    234.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Love
Reactions: BBBen, littledub1955, MeDisneyBaby and 1 other person
longallsboy said:
You're 5 feet 7 inches? What shoe size do you wear? Do you have smaller feet?

I'm 5 feet 11 inches tall and I am close to 180 pounds and I wear a size 9 men's USA (42 European).

I have a friend who is two inches shorter and weighs 65 pounds less. He wears a 6 men's USA (38 European).

I hate being tall!! Being tall is not an advantage if you have Autism like me and act like a 4 year old - it's a nightmare.

- longallsboy
LOL you got me questioning myself here now 🤣

Been a while since I last got measured but I'm pretty sure I was around 5'7" could have been as much as 5'9" but definitely no more or less than either of those. Weight tends to vary a bit but averages around 75KG (about 176 pounds) and I wear a UK size 9 (which I believe is a 9.5 or 10 US and like 43 EU)

Reactions: longallsboy
If it helps, I'm 5-foot-8 and 200 pounds, sometimes a little more. Crib is a charm! Plus I'm a side-sleeper, knees slightly bent. And even when just resting flat, it's plenty long enough. It's a very, very happy, comforting, safe place...especially when in a diaper & baby clothing. I know of few better, if any.

Reactions: BBBen, littledub1955, foxkits and 1 other person
@BobbiSueEllen I also vote for full, mainly because I love the extra width as someone who occasionally turns in their sleep, and it felt like the Goldilocks or Cinderella fit when I tried one at CAPCon. I would probably go for a swing out door with latches instead of the dropping kind for safety reasons. 🥰

MetalDan86 said:
@BobbiSueEllen I also vote for full, mainly because I love the extra width as someone who occasionally turns in their sleep, and it felt like the Goldilocks or Cinderella fit when I tried one at CAPCon. I would probably go for a swing out door with latches instead of the dropping kind for safety reasons. 🥰
The cribs I make have one side which swings out at its bottom...pivoting at the top. Making the drop-side would be a bit too much engineering. And, as you pointed out, the safety factor in such a drop-side is worrisome. So, tip-out it is! 🥳🥳🥳

Reactions: MetalDan86
Your building skills amaze me! I clicked "Full" before I even scrolled down so I completely agree with your choice. I think twin would be too small and queen wouldn't look like a baby crib. What I like about sleeping in a crib is the feeling of being surrounded by safety. There's just something very comforting about that.

Reactions: littledub1955, MeDisneyBaby and BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:
Thank you! And I understand that...and with a tiny bit of extending, a Twin XL is indeed possible! And for not a whole lot more (u. $20), due to two extra slats and a bit extra lumber & paint. 🥳🥳🥳
I would do XL as a 5" foam spacer block so you can still use kids twin sheets.

• Thinking
Reactions: Edgewater and BobbiSueEllen
Back