What crib size would YOU want?

• Twin

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Full

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Queen

Votes: 12 21.1%

• Total voters
Honestly I would have to go twin for it to fits in smaller rooms, cause there’s only so much to go around in a dedicated space.

Reactions: Edgewater and BobbiSueEllen
mammalun said:
This kind of thing might work - high chair and table - I had something like this for my "real" kids. You take the chair off and boom, you have a chair and table and therefore easier to disguise. Not sure how you'd size it up though.

Thank you :) We gota solution with easy to remove parts (legs and back rest). The highchair will always use space... but with these adjustments it is storable. And if the guests are not standing in front of the door when i have to dismount it, then it is no problem.
BobbiSueEllen said:
With that in mind, the solutions are pretty much built-in...
  • With the crib, both sides can be easily unscrewed and stowed. It may seem odd that the footboard & headboard are the same height but "De gustibus non est disputandum", I always say...

That would be good enough.
Thank you.

But at my place i don't have space for a crib and the only thing i can do is, put the bar part around a existing bed. One is under the roof, so not really space for a full crib and the other is a double bed with one part under the roof... same problem ^^ Thats why i don't look for a crib. But i keep it in mind :)

Guess I am the odd man out as I just use a regular babies crib. Sleeping on back, pull legs into crossed position. Side sleeper, pull legs up into infant position. Re-enforce the metal spring base that holds the mattress. Do have to be limber to climb in but that is half the fun. Too many fun sheets to pick from so you rotate them in and out. Currently in a jungle or dinosaur theme.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Hi all any instructions as in step by step in how to create a abdl crib

How would I make this

Attachments

• 728dc6479f6a4da33a8a8a677723b3e3.jpg
    728dc6479f6a4da33a8a8a677723b3e3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: killahB
babyjunior03 said:
How would I make this
Easy. Some basic planning, a little math...and Forstner bits. 🥳

Last edited:
Reactions: BBBen and littledub1955
BobbiSueEllen said:
Any step by step ideas
As I've never done anything like this before and my dad as in real dad has no clue how to do it and I don't either

For example size and pieces

My current bed is two pillows long at the top and 3 down the side

Last edited:
Demonbabywearspamps said:
I think it'd be funny to make a california king sized crib. Realistically a XL full size crib is fine. Tho i'd hope my bigs can fit with me lol I'd love to drag them to my nursery for cuddles in my crib. I want a big nursey at some point. A crib, high chair, toy box, changing table, bouncer and a closet full of little clothes!
Same with all the furniture

BobbiSueEllen said:
Sorry for all the messages but any chance I could message you on your own on here to talk more about crib

babyjunior03 said:
Hi all any instructions as in step by step in how to create a abdl crib
I dont want to appear rude but the basic woodwork for this is quite simple. What you do need is decent tools to cut, drill and shape the timber. most average diy people do not have those. As a keen woodworker I have a workshop full of tools and make lots of things like wooden toys for my grandchildren. I start with an Idea draw it out and plan how its going to be constructed.
If you are wanting to turn your bed into a crib the first place to start would be to accurately measure the bed and make a three D drawing with the measurements on it. You will then need to decide a few things like how high you want the sides of the crib, the spacing of the bars etc in order to work out the amount and type of timber required. I could go on but as I have said If you are not aware of these basic steps the actual woodwork and constructio will be a problem for you. Its not like putting flat pack furniture together.

Reactions: littledub1955 and babyjunior03
BobbiSueEllen said:
Many of you know I made myself a full-size Adult Baby crib last summer: it was work but it was fun work...a chance to put ideas & theory to test, to work through the foreseen problems of engineering, to see them succeed...and finally "test fly" it. The goal was to make a basic, sturdy, fun crib with affordabilty in mind. 9 months later (ironically, in the time it takes to "bake" a baby), I'm proud to say I succeeded in all respects.

So here's the story: after plotting the various mattress sizes, I've concluded the best sizes for Adult Baby cribs are twin, full...and a stretch "maybe" on queen. My full-size crib is very roomy and accommodating for one big baby...perhaps two. A twin crib will be 16 inches narrower...still with good room but only for one. Queen size will be pushing things, especially in materials costs and I may dump that idea entirely. I'm very tempted to drop it. Also, I'm considering an option for 1x3 crib slats in addition to the traditional 1x2 slats, for a more "countryfied" look.

Please be aware these cribs I make and offer do NOT comply with "US Title 16, Chapter II, Subchapter B, Part 1219 -- Safety Standard for Full-Size Baby Cribs" and canNOT be used to contain anyone under the age of 18 years, regardless of body size. Legal adults only, use at your own risk.

With all that in mind, if you were to buy an Adult Baby crib, which crib size would you prefer? Your vote and contributions aren't committing you to anything, BTW. Feel free to vote, explain, suggest. I'm all ears...or trying. Remember: "affordability and value" are the goals. Thanks!
You do very well at making furniture I assume. I love how you made your crib with the different color stills on the ends. Looks very nice and professionally done.

• Love
Reactions: mistykitty and BobbiSueEllen
sissybaby34 said:
I dont want to appear rude but the basic woodwork for this is quite simple. What you do need is decent tools to cut, drill and shape the timber. most average diy people do not have those. As a keen woodworker I have a workshop full of tools and make lots of things like wooden toys for my grandchildren. I start with an Idea draw it out and plan how its going to be constructed.
Not being rude at all, jump on in. The nice part is, three minimal power tools really help...and can be found cheaply in places like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist...well, in the USA, I know for sure. I got my router table and small drill press from CL, devilishly cheap.

Also here is a store called Harbor Freight, where I got basic router bits, a handheld trim-router...and Forstner bits, which drill precise, surgically-clean, large holes in wood. You'll never use spade bits again once you use Forstners. I love them.

The big design issue is determining bar width & thickness...and even, accurate spacing. Lots of people goof up here: after I determine the crib side length, I determine the dimensions of the bars' width, multiply by ten...save that number. Then I take ghe crib side length, subtract that bar number from it...that number is then divided by eleven (ten bars = ten gaps plus one more gap) and that's your gap dimension, so measure on a side-rail one gap, one bar, one gap, one bar, etc. until all measured off. Voilà!

sissybaby34 said:
If you are wanting to turn your bed into a crib the first place to start would be to accurately measure the bed and make a three D drawing with the measurements on it.
The big factor is the mattress to be used: measure across and lengthwise at a few points, use the widest results...or the mattress can interfere. Even though convention determines mattress sizes, sometimes they can be a bit large or small, depending on the mattress maker. Once that's done, all else gets easier.

sissybaby34 said:
You will then need to decide a few things like how high you want the sides of the crib, the spacing of the bars etc in order to work out the amount and type of timber required.
Other factors apply, too, such as bedroom ceiling height, stand-up headspace, off-floor height, relative scaling for authenticity...there can be a good deal of design compromise involved, too.

Wood...softwoods are inexpensive, harder woods like poplar, maple, oak and so on will really rack the price up. It all depends on what you're willing to afford.

sissybaby34 said:
I could go on but as I have said If you are not aware of these basic steps the actual woodwork and constructio will be a problem for you. Its not like putting flat pack furniture together.
Yep. It never hurts to plan, revise, revise some more. Very similar to "Measure twice, cut once". Wood's not cheap to replace...unless working with soft woods.

Reactions: Diaperboy27, dogboy and mistykitty
littledub1955 said:
You do very well at making furniture I assume. I love how you made your crib with the different color stills on the ends. Looks very nice and professionally done.
Aaawww, thank you! Had the bars been one color, it all would've been much cheaper but I wanted all of Sue Ellens' colors represented. The primer & spray paint (7 colors) for the bars alone came out to $75! Ow!!! But I adore Sue Ellen and love the snazz it adds. The rest of the crib is in her skin color.

Reactions: littledub1955
BobbiSueEllen said:
Many of you know I made myself a full-size Adult Baby crib last summer: it was work but it was fun work...a chance to put ideas & theory to test, to work through the foreseen problems of engineering, to see them succeed...and finally "test fly" it. The goal was to make a basic, sturdy, fun crib with affordabilty in mind. 9 months later (ironically, in the time it takes to "bake" a baby), I'm proud to say I succeeded in all respects.

So here's the story: after plotting the various mattress sizes, I've concluded the best sizes for Adult Baby cribs are twin, full...and a stretch "maybe" on queen. My full-size crib is very roomy and accommodating for one big baby...perhaps two. A twin crib will be 16 inches narrower...still with good room but only for one. Queen size will be pushing things, especially in materials costs and I may dump that idea entirely. I'm very tempted to drop it. Also, I'm considering an option for 1x3 crib slats in addition to the traditional 1x2 slats, for a more "countryfied" look.

Please be aware these cribs I make and offer do NOT comply with "US Title 16, Chapter II, Subchapter B, Part 1219 -- Safety Standard for Full-Size Baby Cribs" and canNOT be used to contain anyone under the age of 18 years, regardless of body size. Legal adults only, use at your own risk.

With all that in mind, if you were to buy an Adult Baby crib, which crib size would you prefer? Your vote and contributions aren't committing you to anything, BTW. Feel free to vote, explain, suggest. I'm all ears...or trying. Remember: "affordability and value" are the goals. Thanks!
This is why I want to buy a house, so I can have a nursery without having to worry about building maintenance staff discovering it! That is an awesome crib!

• Love
Reactions: ryan8710 and BobbiSueEllen
killahB said:
This is why I want to buy a house, so I can have a nursery without having to worry about building maintenance staff discovering it! That is an awesome crib!
Wow, thank you, too! This is a proof-of-concept to determine simplicity & affordability...and it seems both were achieved. There are nicer, much-pricier cribs out there...and markets for all brackets of price. I just wanted to try my hand at the base-price bracket. Volkskribben! 🤭

Reactions: killahB
BobbiSueEllen said:
I do have a high-chair designed and one built...this:

Just an FYI: I've since added a 2-inch adjustable, webbed nylon seatbelt with dual buckles and crotch t-strap. 🥳🥰
this look like factory made , even Logo 😲

Full would definitely my best bet, as queen would be a bit overkill (though tempting).

Last edited:
Back