Luvs/Pampers Fragrance, 80s baby, Chemist turned Perfumist

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first actual mix this round is going to be the 80s baby powder example, modified off modern ones. The trace cloud I've been enjoying only started after the now banned substances were added to my drawer full of bottles, which were only found with each other because of that example list. Seems like a good place to start

"Examples of typical perfume components which can be formulated to make up a particular pleasant aroma when used in a body powder product include: lemon oil, musk ketone, ionone, diphenyl oxide, cedarwood terpeneless, geranyl acetate, ylang ylang oil; cedryl acetate, isoeugenol, cinnamic alcohol, aurantheol, methyl anthranilate, vanillin, oil bergamot, eugenol, oil of cananga, citral, tetrahydro linalool, oil patchouly, methyl isoeugenol, hexylcinnamic aldehyde, resil oil banum, resin balsam fir, musk aurbrette, resin balsam Peru, oil sandalwood, geraniol, terpenyl acetate, benzyl isoeugenol, oil copaiba, oil nutmeg, rhodinol, diphenyl methane, hydroxycitronellal, methyl benzoate, benzyl propionate, oil palmarose, oil orange, oil geranium, methyl gamma ionone, oil of lavender and the like."

Probably 75 percent of that is already in that bucket. The upside is the really hard ones are already done. At this point I can eyeball that list and see its very ingredients like but its like a couple together, most to least sorta deal.

I know it's here and its the ultimate in large targets, scent being subjective and whatnot, this is very cool to be doing this again.

• Love
Reactions: EuroBoy, babybobby and BobbiSueEllen
So I haven't read every page of this, it's a lot to catch up on, came here from a link on another thread and I'm curious, I would be quite happy to sign up for a Patreon and support a fellow member, especially one who seems to have been putting in so much time and effort into their goal.

2 Things I like to know though are what exactly you would be sending out with the memberships? and where you are willing/able to send things to. I am in the UK so would you send here or just Canada/States?

Belarin said:
So I haven't read every page of this, it's a lot to catch up on, came here from a link on another thread and I'm curious, I would be quite happy to sign up for a Patreon and support a fellow member, especially one who seems to have been putting in so much time and effort into their goal.

2 Things I like to know though are what exactly you would be sending out with the memberships? and where you are willing/able to send things to. I am in the UK so would you send here or just Canada/States?
Welcome to why I started sending them as standard mail in an envelope. I got the idea from the way mags send perfume samples. I can send the same samples as everyone else is getting for $2.71 to anywhere in the world.

SO, the samples are the banned fragrance compounds as well as probably a couple tests to see if people detect the carrier solvents in other fragrance notes that can be sensitive to them. In pampers case I have an OLD as dirt GC/MS of pampers but in the 80s our tech wasn't as good so it's more of a blurry map, it shows xylene being a carrier solvent.

I you were to describe the this reproduction scent like they do on Fragrantica, how would you describe it?
For Example ,Curve Crush is described as:
t.199.jpg

Milk
t.65.jpg

Cinnamon
t.200.jpg

Sugar
t.74.jpg

Vanilla
t.61.jpg

Cloves
t.63.jpg

Cardamom
t.4.jpg

Musk
t.106.jpg

Tea
t.62.jpg

Ginger
t.158.jpg

Pepper
t.314.jpg

Floral Notes
t.313.jpg

Citruses

Reactions: Diaps
See, good example, I want to end up also doing flavours, cause I've started doing my own personal cola. Cola is a citrus/spice mix, do you taste this in cola?
  • 10 grams of orange peel
    10 grams of lemon peel
  • 4 grams of cinnamon
  • 1 gram of nutmeg
  • 1 gram of coriander seed
  • 4 grams of neroli, bitter orange, or Kaffir lime leaves
  • 75 mL or 5 tablespoons of coconut oil

The neroli is important you can't use many substitutes. The above is what's called 7X, the base of Coke cola, it used cocaine as a bitterant, now they use other things or Coke actually uses cocaine extract with the drug removed. They own the largest legal cocaine factory in the USA, just for that extract.

Pampers they way I smelled it would have had to contain lots of things up until I smelled what was banned then I realised it wasn't a complex of scents it was a unique blend of things that don't exist anymore. I mean why would pampers have changed that much if they could keep it? Channel or Brute has signature fragrances that can be traced back decades unchanged. Smell is the strongest sense tied to memory, why would pampers have shot the golden goose if it could be made through normal means. The first mailing will start to be blended this week and shipped out no later than next week. When the people get it and smell what is ONE compound and it has ALL the notes listed above, it explains why pampers left the old scent behind. It could NOT be created with modern scents without being like 200 ingredients.

I just cracked open the bucket and opened the "illegal scents". A single compounds seem to make up like 70% of old spice. It's missing the end notes but the bracing opening of old spice, ONE chemical, It for sure was in old baby powder and id bet money, pampers. In the intern of waiting for things to arrive I've setup the apparatus required to create my own in house chemistry of these banned chemicals. One of them needs a perchlorate electrolyte to create so a platinum anode is cracking chlorides to chlorates and then to perchlorate right now in my fume hood. Cause perchlorates are rocket fuel or lithium battery electrolyte, not purchasable on amazon.... You may think such things are unstable and they are but they are also the most stable under the right conditions. They are basically maxed for chlorine sites and can create unique chemicals because of it.

Good GOD, opening the bucket was a mistake, it has dried out so the scents were more muted, but the particles are now rehydrating in my nose and I have musk flavoured coffee again....

The opening scent pack will have musks in it. That's an interesting smell most people can't pin down.

Pampers is flowery, vanilla, musk, citrus, tea, describe something that doesn't exist anymore and is only in memories...

This time around I'm mixing to find a scent rather than making a pure essence mix. At full concentration lots of things don't smell right so everything as needed is diluted down then that is later further diluted, FYI the gel packs will be flammable... I'm using very pure ethanol as the carrier. Some basic babypowder inhouse mixes will be included (pampers scent research basically), until it smells in a vial like pampers ,even close, I don't want to name it as such, so it's "inhouse babypowder mix". Having smelled it again it's something that vanishes if one element is too strong. I'm expecting to basically walk past something a day old and find it as too much of whatever was wrong has gassed off.

One of these samples is going across the pond, it should be fine getting there but it will be interesting, if it "can" ship cheaply then the whole globe of 70s pampers seekers lucked out.

2023-12-23 03.01.35.jpg

• Love
Reactions: MiddleJacob and Belarin
Will be looking forward to receiving this to see if it is anything like I remember as a child, anyone know if the same scents as the US/Canada were used back then in the UK? or were they different?

Even if it's just nostalgic and "old time nappy" enough to hit that sweet spot it will be great, so thanks from over the pond.

Mixing actual baby fragrances this time is becoming interesting. I'm starting to recognize current baby powder by its components, "huh, lilac extract, hint of ylang ylang".

The holes are just a small stand in for the standard paper punch holes I'll use. I moved several times, the things that didn't follow me are annoying. Amazon over the holidays...

Same as last time, basically the size of a credit card, foil tape will cover the holes but before it was just liquid on paper inside this time it will be a half mm thickness of gel made from the perfume itself. I'm also looking at the new style of plastic infused fresheners, which clearly state on them, "dont allow it to touch fabrics"... yeah. You peel the foil tape and put it facing away from direct contact with diapers or clothing. If you are doing a whole drawer of clothes for example, sacrifice the wood for possible deleterious effect rather than your clothing.

All of these mixes are me working towards pampers as I'm smelling the assembly in things now and putting the parts together. Most of sweet dreams was useful but not in pampers. @ArchtopK You asked what pampers fragrance profile was?, soon now I can give it to you. I'm doing something I didn't think I could do, at least not quickly. Using the old style powder as a guide of what to have on hand as I'm mixing up stuff, I'm.. seeing scent? I don't know to explain it, like a language but in smell. I'm having those same scent flashes of pampers but now my brain is attaching names to smell and it's happening crazy freaky fast. I can't remember a name to save my life, you have no idea how strange it is that complex massive names just spring to my mind when I smell something. That does Not happen to me, names, nuh uh... The broken part of my brain is bypassed by the olfactory system. It's like I was meant for this, to snap my fingers and bring pampers back to the world.

close.jpg

• Love
Reactions: BabyLucifer and Pamperhead
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back