Look for a decent Mattress Protector

LexiBabyBoo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I can't for the life of me, seem to find a long lasting, decent mattress protector. I've gone through several brands and types. I'm mostly leaning towards a plastic/crinkly type protector. I'm no fan of water resistant woven fabric based protectors, those will not do any good and won't protect against a leaking diaper. Most recently I thought I came across a good protector. Currently I have this:
10_web.jpg

a Hygea Natural Vinyl Mattress Encasement. It's 6 gauge and the heaviest plastic mattress protector I've purchased. Bought it back in September but the plastic is beginning to harden and sometimes crack if I've moved or put pressure on it in just the wrong way. For now I'm patching it, I might also even turn it over. But I'm looking to find out how other people's experiences with various protectors have gone. For recommend

How long have you gone with protectors before needing replacement? Have you come across an exceptional protector?

Edit: Oh, I just saw you're from Canada. Not sure if Walmart delivers to Canada.

===

I've done a lot of research into this, so here goes.

I use a PEVA mattress protector. Pure plastic. Think white plastic shower curtain. It sure is noisy depending on how tightly everything's tucked in and the firmness of you bed. I got it from from JCPenney, Levisohn brand, but I don't think they make it anymore. It's lasted me 7 years so far.

But never fear, Walmart is here!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Waterproof-EVA-Fitted-Mattress-Protector-Twin/626096138
It's practically the same, and I have a few stockpiled just in case. (Note: PEVA, PE/EVA, and EVA are basically the same thing.)

PEVA mattress protectors are plastic sheets, however, so you can't be rough with them because they can rip.

PEVA doesn't deteriorate like vinyl (PVC) does. I had a vinyl mattress protector before for a year, and it just started hardening. Unfortunately, vinyl deteriorates with oil and sweat. I also use a heavy duty 6 mil vinyl pillow protector that only lasts about 6 months on a side before cracking. I would totally get a PEVA one if I could find a good quality one.

Another plus of PEVA is that if the PEVA mattress protectors stop being sold, you can get PEVA shower curtains and use them. https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/noisey-mattress-protector.55379/post-841862

Polypropylene is another noisy plastic. https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/noisey-mattress-protector.55379/#post-841686

As a child, I had the cloth protectors for bedwetting which worked fine for that at the time. It's fun to revisit them, I but it's not something I'd do everyday. I got a polypropylene-backed cloth protector that has a little noise, but it's in storage because I got something better.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillFord384
Use 2 layers of waterproofness. Either use 2 mattress protectors or make the bottom layer a zip up mattress bag. Our cats sometimes put pinholes in the top layer but the odds are good that any liquids won’t get past the next layer. And the cats sometimes pee or more often barf on the bed and nothing makes it through. I just buy waterproof mattress protectors from Amazon but try to get ones with a plastic layer in them. The woven ones have been ok too. The plastic ones are a pain if they bunch up in the dryer and sometimes get destroyed by the heat, even on low.

I haven't heard the word "barf" in a long time. got a good laugh, thanks.

The protector I bought is a pain to remove and put back on. I cover it with a sheet of plastic painter’s tarp. It is crinkly but I soon learned to ignore it. I don‘t wet but I have pets.

tobid03 said:
Edit: Oh, I just saw you're from Canada. Not sure if Walmart delivers to Canada.

===

I've done a lot of research into this, so here goes.

I use a PEVA mattress protector. Pure plastic. Think white plastic shower curtain. It sure is noisy depending on how tightly everything's tucked in and the firmness of you bed. I got it from from JCPenney, Levisohn brand, but I don't think they make it anymore. It's lasted me 7 years so far.

But never fear, Walmart is here!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Waterproof-EVA-Fitted-Mattress-Protector-Twin/626096138
It's practically the same, and I have a few stockpiled just in case. (Note: PEVA, PE/EVA, and EVA are basically the same thing.)

PEVA mattress protectors are plastic sheets, however, so you can't be rough with them because they can rip.

PEVA doesn't deteriorate like vinyl (PVC) does. I had a vinyl mattress protector before for a year, and it just started hardening. Unfortunately, vinyl deteriorates with oil and sweat. I also use a heavy duty 6 mil vinyl pillow protector that only lasts about 6 months on a side before cracking. I would totally get a PEVA one if I could find a good quality one.

Another plus of PEVA is that if the PEVA mattress protectors stop being sold, you can get PEVA shower curtains and use them. https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/noisey-mattress-protector.55379/post-841862

Polypropylene is another noisy plastic. https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/noisey-mattress-protector.55379/#post-841686

As a child, I had the cloth protectors for bedwetting which worked fine for that at the time. It's fun to revisit them, I but it's not something I'd do everyday. I got a polypropylene-backed cloth protector that has a little noise, but it's in storage because I got something better.
I've checked everwhere I possibly could, I couldn't find any Canada based suppliers of PEVA/EVA based mattress protectors unfortunately. Anything PEVA/EVA would have to be shipped from out of country.

Has anyone ever come across or used SaniSnooze mattress covers?

I remember having a very nice plastic mattress cover on my bed as a child. It was a nice quality frosty white shiny plastic. This was about 40 years ago now. I remember if I rubbed the surface it made a really nice swishy sound. I was into makeshift diapers at the time and wanted to actually make a pair of plastic pants from that cover material. The cover did eventually rip and mom had removed it and didnt replace it because by then I wasnt wetting the bed anymore. I remember trying to retrieve it before she threw it out but then couldnt figure a way to take it with out her catching me taking it. She definitely would understand why I would want to save it. I actually later had came across some "Lifestyles" Plastic pants and to my surprise were almost exactly the same plastic as that cover. So nowadays I feel good having some plastic pants like that cover.

Last edited:
have kept the bed protected for many many years we have never found a permanent solution, we do layers , a Walmart vinyl fitted cover, last maybe a year, over that a fitted quilted "waterproof cover " which are more water resistant the proof hence the vinyl under it. works for us. We have spent a lot of money on "quality" and found that in the long run cheap works out to be less for more.

Back