Linux geeks unite

winterheart01 said:
Well back in 2008 nvidia drivers for linux were great, the proprietary ones i mean.
I did hear complaints about later editions.
But my main grief is that most games are hardwired to nvidia cards or others to AMD cards, the Risen games are a prime example of having graphics bugs when you play it with the wrong card so to speak :p
the devs should use a more abstract layer that is card independent but that has a performance cost. though I thought directx and opengl already did this so I think it had to do with writing custom shaders specifically tuned for certain cards. The first Unreal game was a mess with that.
I can try that game out tonight see how it runs on Proton. Just as an experiment to see if it works out of the box. I mean I have it so 😁😁

Shaders are often the boogyman indeed.

Edit: ruins was run 😅🤣 it works either way but fixed it haha

Last edited:
Reactions: ShippoFox
winterheart01 said:
I've been using Linux since 2001.
Started out with mandrake Linux, tried opensuse, the old red hat 8 ( not the current red hat enterprise Linux 8) and even FreeBSD.
However for 14 years i found m y home in Gentoo Linux until I got too many portage issues, that image was passed on to 3 computers, just needed the kernel recompiled with the correct drivers.
This Gentoo was first my desktop pc but i turned it into a headless server. It no longer exists since the quality of Gentoo went downhill.

Now I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux for our work VM's and Ubuntu in WSL also Ubuntu is the most used platform on the azure kubernetes nodes
I also maintain a Debian server running GitHub Enterprise Server (on premise) but we migrating to GitHub.com so that machine will disappear.
At home i don't use Linux anymore as i want to play games without Wine and issues.
About the same vintage as me! Mandrake first (Bought at a Babbage's I think, back when those existed in the US) and then Red Hat 9. Loved Gentoo. I use Pop!_OS on both my graphics rig / Tensorflow cluster and my work laptop. I got approved for Ubuntu but migrated to Pop! 2 weeks ago because snap was pissing me off. Haven't told my I.T. dude yet. Might get yelled at for disabling Secure Boot, even though I kept the full-disk encryption.

I use FreeBSD for my NAS/mail gateway machine.

I also like the later UNIX minis and workstations. I adminned AT&T 3B2/600s for the USAF for 6 years. Ran a personnel DB. Loved those machines. I also used to love Alphastations and I had a collection of Sun machines before they sold out to Oracle. Never owned an SGI box but always wanted one. I think Irix had the best desktop implementation of any commercial UNIX out there. CDE was nice but Indigo Magic was actually a joy to use.

• Love
Reactions: LittleBabyJake
perlFerret said:
About the same vintage as me! Mandrake first (Bought at a Babbage's I think, back when those existed in the US) and then Red Hat 9. Loved Gentoo. I use Pop!_OS on both my graphics rig / Tensorflow cluster and my work laptop. I got approved for Ubuntu but migrated to Pop! 2 weeks ago because snap was pissing me off. Haven't told my I.T. dude yet. Might get yelled at for disabling Secure Boot, even though I kept the full-disk encryption.

I use FreeBSD for my NAS/mail gateway machine.
all the Azure Kubernetes node VM's and the github runners use Ubuntu now, even WSL is Ubuntu, so no worries about it :)
I got used to it but that doesn't mean it's my favorite, a red hat or gentoo (the old stable one) still has my preference)

• Love
I have 5 computers on Linux mint and one i rarely use Windows 10 computer.
The last time i used windows was to update my Garmin GPS unit about a year ago.
i have had duel boot Linux/Windows computers since 2005 but a few years ago window tried to update my computers in ways i did not want and forced me to cut off all updates because of the Windows update malware like the edge search engine malware that did not allow firefox.to be reinstalled.

anned said:
edge search engine malware that did not allow firefox.to be reinstalled.
that's not what I experienced.
I have all browsers on both win 10 & 11 without issues.
Edge, chrome, Firefox. The others i don't care.
Must have been something else that got into your OS and broke something.

maybe it has something to do with that. though it's about windows 11 and not actually preventing installation? but still kinda relevant. it shows that microsoft basically sucks. they do unfair things to harm the competition.

Last edited:
Ok, BeOS…old favorite but I’ve ran red hat ,gnome , Debian and about 20 other flavors.
currently I have a multi boot pcLinux /dos 8/win 7/win 10/ and a beta of win 11.
real pain to set up and if I want to switch os then I use the boot manager in the bios.
everything is on their own separate drive to keep from crashing it again.

Reactions: perlFerret
winterheart01 said:
that's not what I experienced.
I have all browsers on both win 10 & 11 without issues.
Edge, chrome, Firefox. The others i don't care.
Must have been something else that got into your OS and broke something.
I’ve had that issue, after installing a fresh win 10 with edge, tried to download Firefox and kept getting redirected to bing results, ended up going to google, then to Firefox download.
so I guess the issue is with bing being the default search engine for edge

ShippoFox said:

maybe it has something to do with that. though it's about windows 11 and not actually preventing installation? but still kinda relevant. it shows that microsoft basically sucks. they do unfair things to harm the competition.

I recently reinstalled a few machines at work and can confirm. It it very anti consumer where they try multiple times to vendor lock you. The one about when you change the default is actually funny. It said something like "You don't wanna try program X first?", then I'm like "Nope!" and play the soundtrack to Pirates of the Carribean. :cool:

1657256708019.png

Like a echo I hear “Microsoft windows!, dirty filthy virus”
I forget who said it ,I’ll never forget it.

• Haha
quarktheory said:
I’ve had that issue, after installing a fresh win 10 with edge, tried to download Firefox and kept getting redirected to bing results, ended up going to google, then to Firefox download.
so I guess the issue is with bing being the default search engine for edge
Yeah bing is totally busted.
I hate it very much.

i haven't tried bing much, but google search is getting worse and worse.... 🙁

winterheart01 said:
Yeah bing is totally busted.
I hate it very much.

Eh.. sometimes it serves a purpose. Search results on Bing are different. It had helped me find stuff when DuckDuckGo didn't.

ShippoFox said:
i haven't tried bing much, but google search is getting worse and worse.... 🙁

Agreed. To many ad and telemetry links, which are blocked in my network with a PiHole. It became so much that it literally made Google functionally worse.

For me it is DuckDuckGo for it's clean and no bs approach to search, and also for privacy reasons ofcourse.

Been a domestic PC user of Ubuntu since 08.04. Bit disappointed the latest 22.04 version has dropped Huggin, oh well I'll just have to go and build it I suppose. Had the decidedly dubious pleasure of port some Linux Drivers to RHEL 7 last year still not sure I could do it from scratch but an interesting experience. Now back developing in a Visual Studio environment. Hmm! Some features are impressive others I could do without.

Last edited:
Used Linux for years it’s still keeps dragging me back now x

LittleBabyJake said:
Agreed. To many ad and telemetry links, which are blocked in my network with a PiHole. It became so much that it literally made Google functionally worse.

For me it is DuckDuckGo for it's clean and no bs approach to search, and also for privacy reasons ofcourse.
I haven't had much better results with it. 😿 It's still a lot like Google search is now in that way. I think the problem is that all the search engines want to be like Google. And they end up being like Goolge now, functionally, rather than Google search of 10 years ago. Just often with better privacy options.

Have you tried dolphin?

quarktheory said:
Have you tried dolphin?

Yes, what about it? It's quite an open question there and I'm sure many people have used Dolphin. Just to be sure, you are talking about the emu right?

ShippoFox said:
I haven't had much better results with it. 😿 It's still a lot like Google search is now in that way. I think the problem is that all the search engines want to be like Google. And they end up being like Goolge now, functionally, rather than Google search of 10 years ago. Just often with better privacy options.

Well, DuckDuckGo doesn't make any money through telemetry and ad links though. Those for me are the worst offenders that polutte there search results. So, in that regard it isn't like Google. Additionally, they don't use their cookie info to make money.

They mainly earn through affiliates. Search results are there for me like 90% of the time, for the rest my first stop is Bing. On a very rare occasion Google wil still get a search out of me.

Back