Lifetime DL who is now actually incontinent...

Smackers

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Topic title basically says it all. I've been a DL since I was a little boy, some of my earliest memories are sneaking diapers out of my mom's baby sitting nursery before I went to kindergarten and wearing diapers in secret. I've worn basically in private off and on my entire life, but always by choice. Well,I guess be careful what you wish for, because I've recently developed a long term illness that is weakening my bladder muscles. At first it was waking up and going pee like 4 or 5 times a night, so I thought maybe I was having prostate problems, but after I started having a few actual unintended accidents at night, i went to a urologist and my prostate is fine. Rather, this just another part of living with my illness, something I wasn't expecting. Thus, my doctor recommended I start wearing overnight briefs to sleep because the problem is likely going to progress and accidents more frequent.

I have to admit, while I'm sort of upset that I now don't get to choose to wear diapers anymore, the thought of needing them and transitioning from this being a once and a while thing to an every night for the rest of my life thing is kind of exciting. In my past, I was always incredibly quiet about wearing diapers, but I was caught once by my mom when I was in highschool, who was very concerned and puzzled. I never actually explained what was going on, but she did ask me upfront if I wanted to wear diapers going forward full time. Being a teenager and in school and such, I of course said no and we never brought it up again. But a part of me always regretted that I didn't actually say yes, and wondered what that would have been like. So the prospect of getting to live the other road taken is kind of exciting to me. I'm sure the reality will actually not be as fun as I'm thinking, but at the moment I'm enjoying the thrill.

That brings me to this topic: In the past, when I wore diapers for fun, I'd splurge and buy those really expensive ABDL diapers online. Those are typically like $40 for 10, which is expensive. When it's a once and while thing, I could afford that, but turning now to actually needing them every night, the cost is a worry. I've already made up my mind that I want to wear plastic backed diapers, those have always been my favorite, not something like a pull up or cloth backed. Unfortunately it seems like basically every store I go to has stopped selling plastic backed adult diapers. Like, depend now only has these kind of crappy thin briefs that I don't want to wear. Buying cheap, plastic backed depends or similar was my go to plan originally, but that doesn't seem feasible anymore. For people who are full time incontinent, how do you deal with the cost, and is there an online source for plastic backed diapers that I'm missing which would be cost affective?

EDIT: Also should note, I checked with my insurance, and they don't cover diapers even with a diagnosis from doctor, so that's not an option.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, Canadianfalls, sport1 and 1 other person
I am not AB/DL or any combination there of I am incontinent

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
Do you have an HSA or FSA that you could use for diapers? I’m in the US and that is what I use to help offset the cost of products. It does not pay for my protection but I am able to save some money without compromising the protection. I have some prescription products but they’re not my daily protection anymore since they are not absorbent enough. What I do use though is my HSA/FSA since there are a few companies that sell online where I can use it (North Shore & InControl mainly).

Reactions: Diprs2, diaperdude, eastcoastdl and 1 other person
fancydancey said:
Do you have an HSA or FSA that you could use for diapers? I’m in the US and that is what I use to help offset the cost of products. It does not pay for my protection but I am able to save some money without compromising the protection. I have some prescription products but they’re not my daily protection anymore since they are not absorbent enough. What I do use though is my HSA/FSA since there are a few companies that sell online where I can use it (North Shore & InControl mainly).
I'm not familiar with an HSA or FSA, could you expand? In truth, it's only been a few months since I was diagnosed with my long term illness so I'm still sort of new to the world of medicine. Prior, all I had was basic insurance which I rarely used. All of the suddenly I'm looking at taking multiple shots every month for the rest of my life, dealing with other costly reoccuring issues and so forth. It's been a pretty big sticker shock. As I understand it, my maximum out of pocket expense for such things with my insurance is $1500 a year, but a lot of the incontinence stuff doesn't seem covered except for catheters, which I do not need. I did look into one of those savings clubs like Good RX, but that would still limit me to in-store diaper supplies, which I find pretty poor in quality. So any advice on how to make this all work monetarily has me all ears, thanks.

Reactions: Diprs2, Kindred5K and Edgewater
Smackers said:
I'm not familiar with an HSA or FSA, could you expand? In truth, it's only been a few months since I was diagnosed with my long term illness so I'm still sort of new to the world of medicine. Prior, all I had was basic insurance which I rarely used. All of the suddenly I'm looking at taking multiple shots every month for the rest of my life, dealing with other costly reoccuring issues and so forth. It's been a pretty big sticker shock. As I understand it, my maximum out of pocket expense for such things with my insurance is $1500 a year, but a lot of the incontinence stuff doesn't seem covered except for catheters, which I do not need. I did look into one of those savings clubs like Good RX, but that would still limit me to in-store diaper supplies, which I find pretty poor in quality. So any advice on how to make this all work monetarily has me all ears, thanks.
I'm not very familiar with HSA, but FSA I know is basically an account where your workplace sets aside a portion of your income (of your choice) to spend on medical supplies tax-free. You could not only use them for adult diapers, but also changing supplies, glasses, medication, dental needs, other various other over-the-counter medical supplies. The only catch is that if you have money left over in your FSA account after the current year ends, you lose all of the money in said account. It is worth at least asking HR about it.

Last edited:
Chimera said:
I'm not very familiar with HSA, but FSA I know is basically an account where your workplace sets aside a portion of your income (of your choice) to spend on medical supplies tax-free. You could not only use them for adult diapers, but also changing supplies, glasses, medication, dental needs, other various other over-the-counter medical supplies. The only catch is that if you have money left over in your FSA account after the current year ends, you lose all of the money in said account. It is worth at least asking HR about it.
Well, I'm self employed so that doesn't sound like an option for me, unfortunately.

Smackers said:
Well, I'm self employed so that doesn't sound like an option for me, unfortunately.
That means more power is in your hands then, you could probably claim your healthcare expenses on your taxes, then? I don't know, I wish you the best of luck in managing this stuff.

I am not sure about the US, but in Europe "Betterdry" or "Betterdry DAY" (about 1 USD)would be the way to go, or some Attends Active 10, which are still plastic in the middle part, same for Attends Classic (about 1 USD either). There is still a plastic backed version of "Tena Maxi / Ultima" i think (about 1,30 USD)

Last edited:
Chimera said:
My HSA is similar to the FSA but it can incur interest and funds roll over from one year to the next. However, if you are self employed @Smackers that probably changes things since my HSA is part of my health plan through my company’s insurance. I don’t know much about the finer details to be honest, I just picked the insurance plan I have now after meeting with an advisor after I was hired.

Well, sorry that you are faced with this new reality.

Self-acceptance is a hurdle that you are at the beginning the process of overcome. It is no easy step, but one you must move beyond. It varies in time and depth with each individual. But, point is you have to come to terms with this new reality!

With Great Luck, you are becoming a member of the Diaper Every Night Group with a market that provides Premium Adult Diapers that WORK and greatly limit leaks. I use NorthShore Diapers as their customer service is truly great and interested in helping you find a diaper that will meet your needs. I use their NorthShore's MEGAMAX diaper with their NorthShore Trifecta Diaper Cover (Plastic Pants). I stronldly recommend that you wear plastic pants as even the best diapers can leak, especially when you are diapering yourself and need to adjust your thinking from style to function, which commonly require learning how to properly prepare your diaper prior to placing it on and creating a "U" shaped channel in the gusset area.

We are all different in our specific needs regarding U-IC. My version demands that I am wearing a diaper of Maximum Capacity as I vary from light/moderate to heavy wetting on any night during a week. Point being, the good folks at NorthShore, because of their selection can define a diaper that meets your specific needs.

Before you call any of the Market Leading Suppliers of Premium Adult Diapers in the US. Please review where your current needs are. I have long used a Journal to track my needs. A simple scale can be used to get a dry weight and then in the morning a wet weight of the diaper. That provides you over-night volume. Release rate is a bit harder to judge, but the goal is to understand if you are releasing high-volumes quickly or your rate of release is slower. That is something you monitor where you are aware of your release. Lastly, timeline, which is when you put the diaper on and when you take it off.

Costs are expensive, but having to change multiple times during a night compared to to full-night's sleep quickly makes the cost issue go away.

Reactions: Diprs2, eastcoastdl and Smackers
Just following up, I've bought some Abri-form M4 in bulk and it seems to be a nice sweet spot between price and capability. With a reoccurring subscription, I can get them for roughly $1.20 a diaper (42 for $52) which is acceptable to me. I saw I could get Tranquillity ATN at under $1 a diaper (96 for $90) but I'm weary about their quality. The Abri-form M4 I received from the outset feel like outstanding diapers (I absolutely love the super soft feel of the plastic, not at all "thick" plastic like some cheaper diapers) and their capacity is 3600 ml, which is a good amount. The Tranquility ATNs I see for under $1 a diaper sound pretty bare bones when I look them up -- they don't have an elastic waist band which, in my experience, means my pee would leak out from the top as I lay down, and their capacity is something like 850 ml, which sounds extremely thin. My condition means I'll eventually be completely releasing a full sized adult bladder into my diaper potentially a couple of times a night, so I'm worried that something that thin wouldn't stand up to my needs. The abri-forms seem like a nice compromise.

Anybody have experience with Tranquillity ATNs specifically wish to weight in on my concerns?

Also, thanks very much for the kind words from everyone, it's made me feel much better :3

Reactions: Diprs2
i'm sorry to hear that you've developed this recently, that is very hard to deal with! i deal with fibromyalgia and hypermobile ehlers-danlos syndrome which have always given me incontinence issues, but they have recently gotten worse and have been making me need to consider padding up during the day, almost every day. it's hard when it sneaks up on you like that. chronic illness can be a real bother, i hope things go as well as they can for you. i don't have a lot of suggestions, but i just wanted to show my support!

Reactions: Diprs2 and Smackers
The atn’s are garbage in my opinion. What I would do is experiment with multiple brands and find the one that’s best for you, then wait for holiday sales, buy in bulk and call it a day. Usually you can get medical style diapers in cases of 80 shipped discreetly to your door step. The key is waiting for a sale and free shipping.

Reactions: Diprs2 and eastcoastdl
pampers4U said:
The atn’s are garbage in my opinion. What I would do is experiment with multiple brands and find the one that’s best for you, then wait for holiday sales, buy in bulk and call it a day. Usually you can get medical style diapers in cases of 80 shipped discreetly to your door step. The key is waiting for a sale and free shipping.
I had no idea diaper retailers would do holiday sales. That is rather funny when you think about it. As a kid growing up with a secret abdl side, i used to legitimately dream about waking up and getting a box of "my size" diapers for christmas, haha. I guess it can kind of come true now.

What sort of discounts would you say they tend to provide? Just an average, if you can, not holding you to an exact number. If the discount is deep enough, i might try buying a whole years supply during next holiday.

Reactions: Diprs2
Smackers said:
Just following up, I've bought some Abri-form M4 in bulk and it seems to be a nice sweet spot between price and capability. With a reoccurring subscription, I can get them for roughly $1.20 a diaper (42 for $52) which is acceptable to me.
M4s are not bad. They are well well worth their price, although I have had a few leaks here or there and they do bunch up if you're active in them (like wearing them while walking around), but they should be fine for overnight use. Also note that you can get Megamaxes for $2.61/diaper if you buy by the case via a subscription (and I would definitely look out for HSA/FSA plans for self-employed, as you can save up to 30% more there, which would bring it down to $1.82).
Smackers said:
Anybody have experience with Tranquillity ATNs specifically wish to weight in on my concerns?

These are maybe one notch above the trash you get from supermarkets. I tried them once, never again.

yes, as somebody who is in Diapers 24/7, and who has OAB more during the day I tend to flood my Diapers quite a bit and the tranquility ATM diapers are complete crap. Are used to use the. abena m4 all the time, but in the past six years or so it seems like they have gone downhill. They are still useful but for me, they are like the bare minimum of what I would use when I’m out and about. For me, it might be one of those things where I’ve gotten used to the super high-quality and I just can’t go back, and when I say this I am referring to stuff like safari. I think places like North Shore and some of the ABDL diaper sites have 20% off sales or 25% off sales during the holidays and it’s always gonna be cheaper for you to buy diapers by the case . If you also find a way to do a payment plan with whatever other services, these websites use, like Shop or Sezzle that makes it way easier for you to buy multiple cases and not have to worry about paying for this all at once. so if you do this combination where you get really good diapers or something that works for you while they’re on sale and you’re able to get two or three cases at once, and then make payments on it over the course of like a month and a half it makes it way easier to get a pretty good supply of high-quality diapers. This is how I managed to get myself into the situation of having three months worth of very high-quality Diapers without having to worry about running out anytime soon .

Reactions: Diprs2, LordDuque and Edgewater
Smackers said:
I have to admit, while I'm sort of upset that I now don't get to choose to wear diapers anymore, the thought of needing them and transitioning from this being a once and a while thing to an every night for the rest of my life thing is kind of exciting.
I too was a dl before becoming incontinent. I would have to say that now that I wear out of need I am not as much a dl as I was before.

Nowdays the only enjoyment I get from wearing a diaper is appreciation for when I first change and am not wet yet. If that makes sense.

What works for me may not for you. I went up in a Jean size to not be as noticeable as I opted for the mega max diapers from north shore as one of my main go to diaper.

When I had to start wearing daily there was a huge learning curve for me to be able to feel confident in a diaper while at work.

The other thing is while wearing premium diapers has given me confidence to keep on my daily routines and work.. it has hit my pocketbook badly. Even though on auto ship I save a little it still cost me about 250 a month. Something I wish I didn’t have to budget for.

WOW … was going to post a response but, after reading the previous post I was immediately impressed with all the knowledge shared.. good job….

Since it sounds like right now you are needing protection for during the night, have you thought about cloth diapers and plastic pants? I wear diapers full time (by choice) but a lot of times I wear cloth diapers/plastic pants over night. Yes, I have to launder them, but I find them very comfortable and with the right plastic pants, no leaks. During the day I change to a disposable diaper for convenience. Cloth diapers may seem expensive up front, but in the long run, they are cheaper.

I do like the Mega Max from Northshore and there are also some ABDL diapers from Tykables or Rearz that I like too. They are certainly more expensive than store diapers, but the comfort and absorbance make it worth the extra money they cost. If there are times I know I will have to remove my diaper in a short time, such as showering and getting ready to go out for an evening, I will wear a cheap diaper for that short period of time. I usually have a package of diapers from Walmart, Walgreens or CVS on hand for the instances. Then when I am ready to put on a diaper for a longer period of time, I wear the good ones.

Reactions: Edgewater
Back