Less fluid intake, more problems

Pino

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
With the Rehydration-Solution i got down to 3500ml a day of fluid intake, but my bladder takes that not as easy, After two weeks i am running now for every 150-200ml, this is way lower than before, i think because of more concentrated urine. It can of course be another problem as well.

I just gave up and diapered up for today.

Reactions: Jorelaxed
@Pino I am always adjusting my hydration level based on activity and climate; let your body guide you in how much you need.

Don't restrict fluids to pee less

I know this used to be recommend and some parents still follow this guideline with bedwetting kids

Your body needs fluids especially water to function properly and reducing that leads to more health issues

Drink up (the proper amounts)
Pad up

Reactions: dogboy and Jorelaxed
SparkyDog said:
Don't restrict fluids to pee less

I know this used to be recommend and some parents still follow this guideline with bedwetting kids

Your body needs fluids especially water to function properly and reducing that leads to more health issues

Drink up (the proper amounts)
Pad up
My problem is much more complicated and the reason is not about to restrict fluids. Beside that everything more than 3000ml a day is considered Polydipsia, so i am still far away from the classic definition of "drinking to less". Do not worry. ;)

Reactions: SparkyDog and Jorelaxed
I’m one who do try to limit my fluid intake to some degree. When I had a violent flare in my bladder I was also asked to do a voiding diary, and i noticed my fluid intake was as low as 1600cc on average, but my voidings was still very high, on average 40-50 voidings over a 16 hour rate, nighttime excluded. I did this due to excessive pain in my bladder at that time.
I was told by a couple of nurses in the urology department, that I had to increase my fluid intake even though it could result in even more voidings. Reason was my urine got too concentrated and that really pushed my bladder over the edge, and meant more pain when I did void.

Now, thankfully my bladder is in remission and I’m now drinking normal amounts of water and coffee, but never more than approx 2.5 liter a day and my voiding frequency has slowed down now, as well as being less painful. I think frequency is around 30-35 on average. However my capacity is only max 100cc now, once in a while I still measure if I’m able to. Simply to check if my condition improves, which it doesn’t seem to do, unfortunately.
I now exactly how much fluid there is in my coffee mug, and the glasses I use, hence why I’m pretty certain about just how much I drink on an average day.
However I’m completely urinary incontinent because of my bladder situation, when I get an urge it’s too late, because my bladder begins pushing violently.

Pino said:
more than 3000ml a day is considered Polydipsia,

Interesting, I had to look up Polydipsia. I would imagine that 3L is tempered by body size and situational circumstances. Thus
, for some, it may not be Polydipsia without the feeling of having to drink and not being satisfied?

daylight said:
Interesting, I had to look up Polydipsia. I would imagine that 3L is tempered by body size and situational circumstances. Thus
, for some, it may not be Polydipsia without the feeling of having to drink and not being satisfied?
The definition is very clear - on the paper. In reality it is much more complicated and modern studies are very rare.

When looking closer, up to about 30ml / kg / 24h is considered normal, what would be about 3300ml for me a day.

Primary Polydipsia is defined as low in sodium (blood serum), high in osmolarity ("thin" blood) and clear urine with low osmolarity, while drinking more than 3000ml a day without any "real" reason like Diabetes Mellitus or Insipidus.

When Diabetes Mellitus and Insipidus was ruled out, the ONLY diagnosis left is just Polidipsia. That is the usual policy.
My sodium was normal, the osmolarity in serum very high, creatine in urine very high, so the opposite of the definition PP, but nobody cared, because there are officially no other diagnostic reasons. The definition of PP is out of the 40s-60s and was never touched again.

There is definetly a lack of knowlege here, some problem with POTS and ME in complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: daylight
Pino said:
My problem is much more complicated and the reason is not about to restrict fluids. Beside that everything more than 3000ml a day is considered Polydipsia, so i am still far away from the classic definition of "drinking to less". Do not worry. ;)
I have gotten so tired of hearing Dr's say that it's polydipsia and all in my head. Yea, I'd love to only drink 64-85oz (1900-2500mls) a day. The only problem is that the rest of my symptoms are significantly worse at those levels.

I've had a Dr ask me what kind of headaches I get when I don't drink enough fluids and if I knew what a migraine really was. She then suggested that I drop my intake by 50% cold turkey and talk with a therapist because, "all your blood samples look normal." I waited 3 months to see her to just never do a follow-up after that. My wife was with me at the appointment and just totally shocked - she works in healthcare and literally see's my symptoms on a daily basis.

I can see someone lying to Drs to get opiods, but to lie to get beta blockers and find out why I get so dehydrated is another thing. Doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Pino and EcoIncon
Back