Kayaking

geka

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Do we have any members who like kayak .
I have some friends who go kayaking l really enjoy It ,but l want to get my own kayak I want to get a sit in inside type after Researching I’ve really like the kayak called feel free aventura .
Im on the fence about going with a 10’or a 12’ model but leaning toward a 12’ I’ll also be buying a paddle any advice?

Reactions: Cottontail
What sort of water will you be kayaking in?

I have two Guster ten-footers, recreational sit-in variety. They're definitely best for calm waters. We live on Puget Sound and generally only take the kayaks out during slack tides and when there's minimal wind. I'd love to have some sea kayaks at some point, but when these were on sale at Costco I decided to give them a try first. They've been fun. We've also taken them to some lakes, which is really what they're ideal for.

Last edited:
mostly in rivers some currents from the dam release it’s easy no white water.
If I put in above the dam it’s a lake

Oh and in the river it’s not Deep 6’ or less

I sounds like you'd do well with the sit-in recreational type then. I can't offer much advice on ten versus twelve. Generally speaking, longer/narrower is better for distance, and there's more buoyancy, so if you're bigger... I'm 6'1" and 220 pounds, and the ten works fine for me. I don't feel like it rides too low in the water or anything, and we've been on some hours-long outings.

Is there someplace you can rent one to try?

Cottontail said:
Is there someplace you can rent one to try?
That would be an excellent way to get an idea of what you might want. Years ago when I started paddling I found a guy who ran kayaking tours and also provided instruction. He showed up at the lake with a truckload of all different kinds of kayaks and I got to try out all of them.

I ended up with a 9.5' rec kayak, which works really well on the lakes here. The shorter length lets me get in an out of the nooks and crannies and backwaters around the lake, and being a bit wider it's more stable and I have enough room to set up a camera tripod.

Reactions: Cottontail
Cottontail and little feathers thanks great idea to rent some first there is a local outfitters, but their website down for a while.
My buddy’s I go kayaking with one has 3 kayaks I’ve tried them all. They’re all big box kayaks, my other guy has an old town kayak very nice but pricey.
Problem with the big box store kayaks is the seats are not good for longer trips. Thxs

Back