Is it normal that I need to pee a ton if I drink any water?

Weatheronthe8s

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Basically, I am not considered incontinent. However, I am curious if this is a normal thing I notice about going to the bathroom. Basically, when I drink water, I often have to pee multiple times within an hour of drinking 1 bottle. The urgency is also rather instantaneous, often coming within 15 minutes of drinking a 16 oz bottle of water. When I do pee though, it is not really a small amount. I have measured with a water bottle, and I usually go at least half a bottle at a time. The only way to avoid this is to not drink, which can get me by when I’m in a place I forget to drink, but I often end up thirsty as a result which I kinda always am anyways. Also, I can usually drink a whole bottle when I go to bed and not have to go until morning, but have to go urgently as soon as I get up. So I am just curious, would you consider this a normal thing or not? I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to ask or if the answer is stupidly obvious.

I was going to giggle and say that yes water makes you pee bc that's where pee comes from but that sounds a bit serious
Maybe make an appointment with your doctor

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, Paddy2020, charliewilson and 1 other person
JaysonTheRegressor said:
I was going to giggle and say that yes water makes you pee bc that's where pee comes from but that sounds a bit serious
Maybe make an appointment with your doctor
Yeah. I do wonder if it could be a sign of something, which is why I asked. Sadly though, my mom has my insurance card and doesn't ever take me to the doctor, so I don't really know how to get in with a doctor since she doesn't seem to want to think I'm not healthy in the slightest despite half of my family begging me to see one. Plus I don't have a real doctor, just a local MedExpress equivalent.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and JaysonTheRegressor
Hi W,

You don't mention your age. What I gleaned from your profile write-up is that you identify as trans women so I'm making the assumption that you have male gender parts inside. Male and female internal organs - plumbing and therefore health impacts are different. females organ people have different issues that those with male organs such as prostate.

You could have an issue with prostate (not uncommon in older over 35-40 and above) in male bodies only.

You may be retaining urine since only a little bit comes out.

Retaining urine can lead to decline in kidney function - it can enlarge the bladder as well. Kidney function is tested by a blood test of "Creatinine" (link below)

If it's due to prostate or other issues; sometimes a medicine called a beta blocker can be used. If that doesn't work sometimes minor surgery might resolve it.

Your symptoms is often called Stand-up incontinence. (like driving for hours, then getting out of the car and have no control or at home, same thing.More common in people with female internal parts. info:

Stand-up incontinence info: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22732583/

Seeing medical appt with your doc or a urologist is critical if you are retaining urine because it can lead to serious loss of kidney function or failure.

You can go see a doc at an urgent care place such as MedExpress. They would likely do blood work to check your creatine and maybe regular blood work up including PSA test.

Ceatinine info is here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/creatinine-test/about/pac-20384646

Luc

Reactions: Weatheronthe8s
BoyLuc said:
Hi W,

You don't mention your age. What I gleaned from your profile write-up is that you identify as trans women so I'm making the assumption that you have male gender parts inside. Male and female internal organs - plumbing and therefore health impacts are different. females organ people have different issues that those with male organs such as prostate.

You could have an issue with prostate (not uncommon in older over 35-40 and above) in male bodies only.

You may be retaining urine since only a little bit comes out.

Retaining urine can lead to decline in kidney function - it can enlarge the bladder as well. Kidney function is tested by a blood test of "Creatinine" (link below)

If it's due to prostate or other issues; sometimes a medicine called a beta blocker can be used. If that doesn't work sometimes minor surgery might resolve it.

Your symptoms is often called Stand-up incontinence. (like driving for hours, then getting out of the car and have no control or at home, same thing.More common in people with female internal parts. info:

Stand-up incontinence info: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22732583/

Seeing medical appt with your doc or a urologist is critical if you are retaining urine because it can lead to serious loss of kidney function or failure.

You can go see a doc at an urgent care place such as MedExpress. They would likely do blood work to check your creatine and maybe regular blood work up including PSA test.

Ceatinine info is here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/creatinine-test/about/pac-20384646

Luc
That’s certainly interesting. I hope I don’t have any of these issues, but I never know I guess. I am actually 19, so not anywhere near that average age range for prostate issues. However, my grandfather has been dealing with prostate cancer, so I have no clue if that could do anything to me genetics wise. As for retaining urine, I’m not sure if I am retaining urine if I always seem to pee 8 oz or more. However, I do have to go multiple times to get it all out, albeit in less than an hour, so I am confused there if I am actually retaining urine or if my kidneys just haven’t processed all of it yet. If I hold it to the point of it becoming an emergency to the point of actual pain or wake up in the morning, I do usually pee roughly an entire bottle worth of unine. As for seeing a doctor, I don’t know how to convince my mom to take me for these things as she has my insurance card. I think she thinks I am paranoid about my health or something and doesn’t want to think I’m unhealthy. I haven’t had any kind of actual checkup in quite a few years as a result.

I wet uncontrollably if i drink a bunch of water especially. If i drink more than. 64 oz at any given time

That's interesting. What I described though can happen with as little as 1 bottle of water, or even sometimes less. I had to run to the bathroom a ton at work today because the urge hit me like every 15 minutes not long after I started drinking water. I would honestly have problems if I had to make any attempt to stay hydrated with a job that requires constant work, which mine thankfully doesn’t. 64 oz is only a little less than what I drink in a whole day.

well, as is always said, can't give medical advice...

if it were me, i'd asap check blood sugar (there is likely a friend that has a gluclose meter), that will make your body push out lots of water as soon as it can, and if high can cause some serious issues, the last thing you or anyone should do is limit fluids...not good...too many things to list ther...

but, yes get an appt asap.
check your blood sugar asap (dont eat for 8hrs before checking it), if you have any money can get an A1C test at any pharmacy, no rx required...that will give you a weighted average of about the last 90 days.

there is a lot of issues, too many to list...but checking you blood sugar usually can be done pretty easy...

could be a million things, and yes the dr will do a basic metabolic panel at minimum (get results in 1-2days usually)...will give you the basic common issues...see where it goes from there.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Weatheronthe8s
You are over 18. Request your insurance card from your mother and see a doctor. You may have something serious or benign. Your mother might mean well. But since you are over 18, it's time to take control of your life, move on with your life and be healthy.

Reactions: 2012Stroke, BobbiSueEllen and Weatheronthe8s
Bigbabybret said:
well, as is always said, can't give medical advice...

if it were me, i'd asap check blood sugar (there is likely a friend that has a gluclose meter), that will make your body push out lots of water as soon as it can, and if high can cause some serious issues, the last thing you or anyone should do is limit fluids...not good...too many things to list ther..

but, yes get an appt asap.
check your blood sugar asap (dont eat for 8hrs before checking it), if you have any money can get an A1C test at any pharmacy, no rx required...that will give you a weighted average of about the last 90 days.

there is a lot of issues, too many to list...but checking you blood sugar usually can be done pretty easy...

could be a million things, and yes the dr will do a basic metabolic panel at minimum (get results in 1-2days usually)...will give you the basic common issues...see where it goes from there.
Yeah. Thank you for the ideas. I have some family members who are diabetic, so I could use their testers technically. I have used them before. I’m almost worried it could be a combination of me losing a lot of weight, and then my family basically forcing me to eat sugar because they think I’m too skinny. I really hope something didn’t make me diabetic. I have actually not drank enough water for the majority of my life and was once hospitalized for dehydration. Only recently have I decided to start drinking as much as a person should. But yeah, I may ask my mom to give me my insurance card to let me go to a doctor soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Paddy2020 said:
You are over 18. Request your insurance card from your mother and see a doctor. You may have something serious or benign. Your mother might mean well. But since you are over 18, it's time to take control of your life, move on with your life and be healthy.
Yeah. That is very true. I have been wanting to go to a doctor for some time, but my mom keeps holding it off. The only problem is I don’t really know how to make an appointment or which doctor to go to or anything. All I know of is the MedExpress equivalent my family uses for everything.

Weatheronthe8s said:
Yeah. Thank you for the ideas. I have some family members who are diabetic, so I could use their testers technically. I have used them before. I’m almost worried it could be a combination of me losing a lot of weight, and then my family basically forcing me to eat sugar because they think I’m too skinny. I really hope something didn’t make me diabetic. I have actually not drank enough water for the majority of my life and was once hospitalized for dehydration. Only recently have I decided to start drinking as much as a person should. But yeah, I may ask my mom to give me my insurance card to let me go to a doctor soon.
I had a step dad when i was a kid who was diabetic, he used to be kinda chunky but he didnt try to keep himself healthy and take his insulin, instead he refused the insulin. He thought it was causing him to be sick, it was actually his intake of 2 gallons of crystal lite (a drink powder thing reminiscent of koolaid thats very high in sugar) due to that he was constantly thirsty always running to the bathroom and lost a lot of weight, it ended up affecting his mental ability as well, he was never a particularly angry guy before but he ended up getting violent near the end and would constantly over-react (one instance was when me and my mom saw a spider run under a shelf and we were panicing because me and mom are both afraid of spiders, he got angry and out of nowhere grabbed the shelf and just pulled it down nearly hitting me with it and scattering movies all over the place.) Mom ended up leaving him due to the increasing violence and last i heard hes lost eyesight in one eye and soon the other and has had a leg amputated.

In short please take care of your health, dont let anyone bar you from that. Dont let your health go so long you end up like he did.

• Wow
Reactions: Paddy2020, BobbiSueEllen and Weatheronthe8s
Also another little note here, if you want to gain weight eating high sugar foods isnt the best idea. Id recommend higher calorie foods that are still good for you. (Though im one to talk, i dont gain weight no matter what i try! Having a very high metabolism sucks!)

Sundae said:
I had a step dad when i was a kid who was diabetic, he used to be kinda chunky but he didnt try to keep himself healthy and take his insulin, instead he refused the insulin. He thought it was causing him to be sick, it was actually his intake of 2 gallons of crystal lite (a drink powder thing reminiscent of koolaid thats very high in sugar) due to that he was constantly thirsty always running to the bathroom and lost a lot of weight, it ended up affecting his mental ability as well, he was never a particularly angry guy before but he ended up getting violent near the end and would constantly over-react (one instance was when me and my mom saw a spider run under a shelf and we were panicing because me and mom are both afraid of spiders, he got angry and out of nowhere grabbed the shelf and just pulled it down nearly hitting me with it and scattering movies all over the place.) Mom ended up leaving him due to the increasing violence and last i heard hes lost eyesight in one eye and soon the other and has had a leg amputated.

In short please take care of your health, dont let anyone bar you from that. Dont let your health go so long you end up like he did.
Wow. That certainly isn’t good. I do not drink Crystal Lite as I don’t use artificial sweeteners (Crystal Lite at least now has aspartame). Either way, my dad does kinda force me to eat ice cream every night. And then I was given a ton of jelly beans for Christmas that I’m trying to eat some of. My family thinks I’m too skinny, so they are feeding me unhealthy foods. This is after I lost like 40 lbs to be both healthier and affirming to who I want to be. My family doesn’t understand though and it makes me very sad. I wish they’d stop thinking I’m anorexic. They have even asked repeatedly if I take laxatives, which I don’t. I want to go to a doctor to ask them if there’s something wrong, but my family seems to ignore my requests.

Sundae said:
Also another little note here, if you want to gain weight eating high sugar foods isnt the best idea. Id recommend higher calorie foods that are still good for you. (Though im one to talk, i dont gain weight no matter what i try! Having a very high metabolism sucks!)
Yeah. I have also noticed that is hard for me to gain weight now. Everything is just confusing to me. I just wish my family would understand that I’m not trying to be anorexic.

Last edited:
Type one diabetic's don't have a long life span. I've lost four friends so far and for me well if I ever lost my eyesight or my legs well I can't tell you what would happen. All I can say is my kids will be set for life and won't need to worry about money ever.

TexasToast11 said:
Type one diabetic's don't have a long life span. I've lost four friends so far and for me well if I ever lost my eyesight or my legs well I can't tell you what would happen. All I can say is my kids will be set for life and won't need to worry about money ever.
Yeah. I know someone who is type 1 and I know it can be hard dealing with it. I really hope that isn’t my problem, but I guess I never know.

Weatheronthe8s said:
Wow. That certainly isn’t good. I do not drink Crystal Lite as I don’t use artificial sweeteners (Crystal Lite at least now has aspartame). Either way, my dad does kinda force me to eat ice cream every night. And then I was given a ton of jelly beans for Christmas that I’m trying to eat some of. My family thinks I’m too skinny, so they are feeding me unhealthy foods. This is after I lost like 40 lbs to be both healthier and affirming to who I want to be. My family doesn’t understand though and it makes me very sad. I wish they’d stop thinking I’m anorexic. They have even asked repeatedly if I take laxatives, which I don’t. I want to go to a doctor to ask them if there’s something wrong, but my family seems to ignore my requests.

Yeah. I have also noticed that is hard for me to gain weight now. Everything is just confusing to me. I just wish my family would understand that I’m not trying to be anorexic.
Just tell them you want to avoid health problems and slimming down is a good way to do it! I cannot stress enough to not let them force you to eat things you dont want to because they feel you arent being healthy, you are the judge of your own health. Go to the doctor anytime you feel something might be wrong.

Sundae said:
Just tell them you want to avoid health problems and slimming down is a good way to do it! I cannot stress enough to not let them force you to eat things you dont want to because they feel you arent being healthy, you are the judge of your own health. Go to the doctor anytime you feel something might be wrong.
Yeah. I try to tell them I feel fine, but they don’t believe me. They use the excuse that my genetics mean I’m supposed to stay teetering on overweight. My BMI is fine, but my family doesn’t believe me. I want to go to a doctor just to help prove that I'm okay and get a checkup, but my mom doesn’t seem to want to and she has my insurance card. My family tries to control me sadly in weird ways. Them accusing me of being anorexic almost makes me want to be anorexic, but I don’t want to be anorexic.

Your family is abusive. You need to get out now before they harm you more.

ltaluv said:
Your family is abusive. You need to get out now before they harm you more.
Yeah. I have been wanting to get out for some time, but all of my plans keep getting ruined. I’m pressured to stay home instead of going to actual college because of the virus, especially by my mom. I really don’t like to think my family means any harm to me, just they struggle to understand me and try to force me another way. They see my 8 year old brother who weighs over 130 lbs as a healthy weight. I never weighed 100 lbs until I was 10. I think my family, especially my mom, has a perfect image of me that she tries to pressure me to become, which I can’t. She just worries about me like crazy. All my dad does is complain about my weight, which all of my family does, especially my grandparents. All in all, I don’t think my family means harm, but I do wonder if there could be some unintentional abuse involved in my upbringing.

Back