Is ABDL going mainstream?

DLPJ

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Healthwick is a main stream medical supplier out of Ontario Canada that now offers an expansive line up of ABDL diapers. They even have an ABDL tab on there site and a blog that says they are ABDL aware. Is ABDL going mainstream?

Reactions: diaperdude and littledreamers333
I would say by this point most if not all companies that produce diapers are ABDL aware even if they are not supportive, they know we exist and that there is a definite market for them to make some extra profits and by putting things on their site that say "ABDL aware" or having ABDL sections we are more likely to go to them and buy stuff.

There are companies out there like P&G who are definitely aware of us and have decided they will not support it by not making/marketing things directly to us because they tend to be the biggest names in baby diapers and products and understandably do not want to dent their image by associating with ABDL.

I wouldn't say it means ABDL is going mainstream just that more companies are recognising the size of the ABDL market and want to encourage us to purchase from them so they can make more money. Having said that the more companies that do things like this the more visibility the lifestyle gets which can help to gain more acceptance (though can also bring more aggro).

Reactions: OmiOMy, YakuiAndOzoi, Jimbolo and 6 others
Belarin said:
(though can also bring more aggro).
That kinda reminds me of what happened with furries...

Reactions: OmiOMy, Belarin and DLPJ
Belarin said:
lifestyle gets which can help to gain more acceptance (though can also bring more aggro).
I was thinking it’s a good thing, yet you bring up a good point it could draw some unwanted attention and aggro. Time will tell more acceptance or more negative attention!

I seriously hope not. My reasoning? Because anything that goes mainstream tends to be ruined by over hyping, tweaking and catering to certain outside non understanding individuals. Like all trends sooner or later it ends, then where does that put we real ABDLs.
I like things the way they are. I mean it's just us and no social media fashion trends riding a wave of high demand that sooner or later destroys what we've had prior to.
I say leave us alone and let us grow slowly yet steadily.

Last edited:
Reactions: theancientmariner, eddy200, wearforsafety and 8 others
Northshore has made a similar post explaining the printed diapers on their site. The article seemed more aimed at normies that stumbled upon the printed stuff.

But a win is a win. Maybe one day ABDL will get crow bared from its closet.

Reactions: K00paTr00pa
Str88jacketabdl said:
Maybe one day ABDL will get crow bared from its closet.
I don't believe that this would be a good thing.
I stated this in an earlier post. I honestly believe if ABDL goes mainstream then ABDL as we know it will be ruined.

Last edited:
Reactions: wearforsafety, Belarin and DLPJ
For those in Canada walmart.ca now has a full rearz lineup of diapers on there website. So I would say it is becoming more common and accepted than it once was.

Well, the day I can go shopping while having my pacifier without getting laughed at it will be in mainstream for me....

I would like the overall society to stop judging people based on their choice of underwear, I had a presentation in front of a hand full of Professors in University today, together with 4 of my classmates and because the anxiety kills me anyways and I need to go every 2mins....I decided I go padded, I was still anxious, but knowing that I don't have to worry about leaking a bit within the 2h presentation and discussion actually helped. (I had a few instances where I wet myself a tiny bit in the past, I don't know why)

Reactions: TheSwiftie and LinkDL
Nowididit said:
I seriously hope not. My reasoning? Because anything that goes mainstream tends to be ruined by over hyping, tweaking and catering to certain outside non understanding individuals. Like all trends sooner or later it ends, then where does that put we real ABDLs.
I like things the way they are. I mean it's just us and no social media fashion trends riding a wave of high demand that sooner or later destroys what we've had prior to.
I say leave us alone and let us grow slowly yet steadily.
Nowididit said:
I don't believe that this would be a good thing.
I stated this in an earlier post. I honestly believe if ABDL goes mainstream then ABDL as we know it will be ruined.
I tend to agree with this sentiment.

What we need is more vanilla acceptance not more mainstream participation. I would much rather have say the majority of the population believing "i don't care what you like to wear or how you like to live" than have that majority suddenly decide to start wearing diapers because it's popular and "hey why not" without actually understanding where it all comes from and the reasons behind it.

Reactions: BrokenMoon, fleckothefennec and TheSwiftie
Belarin said:

What we need is more vanilla acceptance not more mainstream participation. I would much rather have say the majority of the population believing "i don't care what you like to wear or how you like to live" than have that majority suddenly decide to start wearing diapers because it's popular and "hey why not" without actually understanding where it all comes from and the reasons behind it.
Any chance we are getting some of both

Reactions: Belarin
Belarin said:

Exactly! Once a trend takes hold it takes off, and often in the opposite direction and for the wrong reasons.
We'll have ABDL companies jumping on the financial bandwagon tweaking their current products and producing far inferior products to meet the demand of the trend. Once the trend dies we're left with the far inferior shit created to support the demands of the trend.

Current ABDL companies will substantially increase their prices to ride the financial wave and afterwards some will take the money and run leaving us high and dry.
Some ABDL companies will go bankrupt and out of business trying to be on top of the mountain.
New companies will start, some will fail. The new companies that succeed will be the ones creating the inferior products to meet the demand and its those companies that will be stuck with.

We've seen good trends and bad trends, more bad than good.

We've come a long way in the past 10 years and I'd hate to see it destroyed by a mainstream flash in the pan trend.

Last edited:
I know this company Healthwick very well, have been ordering from them for years. I think they looked at basic statistics of sales and realized they were stupid not to sell ABDL diapers as they were more popular than just their regular ones. I personally was very excited for them to add this option to their selection, it is a nice sign but I don't think a sign of mainstream acceptance.
Healthwick is still just a health care supply store, not a mainstream place like Walmart or Costco. If I started seeing ABDL diapers at every pharmacy or giant retailers like I mentioned than I could see it as mainstream.
But I think any steps ABDL can take from being unknown, a joke or way worse is fantastic. But I think it's tough as many of us are still not able to really be out amongst friends so it's difficult to publicly advocate or be out in general with it.

Reactions: Deleted member 51496, Subtlerustle, espectro and 1 other person
I think it's great that companies like this one accepted the ABDL and, more importantly, that it be generalized, I know that the new generations will help this by becoming more visible.

If it becomes common and there is great demand, companies will take us into account as a public to buy their products and I think that in the future we can buy diapers with designs and patterns most beautiful and reasonably priced.

I think that the current ABDL companies have good products but with very high prices, keep in mind that the mere fact that a product that says ABDL makes it very expensive.

Large companies have the materials and resources to make a good ABDL diaper, but they don't know us and the ABDL image must be improved and made more visible.

ABDL has become a lot more mainstream compared to where it was 20 years ago with the rise of social media. That increase in popularity has brought us a wealth of diapers, onesies and other products but it has also brought problems. When I started 20 years ago, ABDL was a kink. The DL side of things hasn't changed much but the AB side was a power play, basically a BDSM situation with a baby theme instead of leathers and whips. Nowadays there's various factions with their own ideas that they think is the only right way. There's non-sexual kinks, although this is popular across many communities and not strictly ABDL. There's a large group of youngsters that see ABDL as therapy for things like trauma or autism. There's groups that try to make the sexual kinkster ABDLs feel like they are creepy. And then there's the agere crowd that thinks that it's okay for minors to take part in ABDL (it's not ABDL in their eyes but it's ABDL in everything but the name).

This may sound like an "old man yells at cloud" rant but I've seen a lot of change and not all of it is good. I don't want ABDL to become any more mainstream as it will bring even more opinions, factions and in-fighting.

Reactions: munkey
ABDL isn't mainstream. There are other things that have became mainstream, like internet surfing and videogames, but ABDL isn't as common, accepted nor similar in popularity as the other two yet.

ABDL is expanding because companies see profits and business opportunity there and maybe it will become more common in the future, but there's still a long way to go and I don't even know if it will go as far, since society's mentality is heavily influenced by conservatism (that includes competition from things that turned mainstream not long ago), not to mention the ecological fear and concern it can raise to the population.

The day thou canst see an ABDL shop in any European country and even ads in the streets or shops, then it will be officially mainstream. But until then, it's still an obscure subculture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woncrinklz
DLPJ said:
Healthwick is a main stream medical supplier out of Ontario Canada that now offers an expansive line up of ABDL diapers. They even have an ABDL tab on there site and a blog that says they are ABDL aware. Is ABDL going mainstream?

ABDL has gone more mainstream, yes, over the years. However, this article is also posted March 4 2016 -

The Elephant in the Room: ABDLs

Well, to me baby diapers are more like adult diapers these days and that is not a complement. Just compare a Luvs Thick from 1985 to today. Such a disappointing trend if you ask me. I understand how adults would want to hide the look of a diaper under clothes, so I understand no padding on the sides, but Babies should look like Babies, and to me that means a thick diaper all ways round.

I get the sense that we might need to agree on what we mean by mainstream.

My view is that it would be nice to have a degree of penetration into mainstream consciousness without necessarily becoming a more mainstream interest.

Stamp collecting or playing bridge are things that everyone has heard of without any great explosion of interest. It would be good to feel confident in a similar degree of indifference should our interest be known.

We are probably heading that way, almost inevitably, but are not so consolidated as to withstand any major backlash.

Reactions: messydiaper and Belarin
Str88jacketabdl said:
Northshore has made a similar post explaining the printed diapers on their site. The article seemed more aimed at normies that stumbled upon the printed stuff.

But a win is a win. Maybe one day ABDL will get crow bared from its closet.
I don't think I've seen this post, could you possibly link it if you have it?

I agree with all of the above, we need acceptance, but that doesn't mean being able to walk down the street exhibiting our diapers, just that we don't need to be scared of being caught.

Imo becoming mainstream means a lot of people are doing it, which could really ruin the community. In that respect, how long until we become a TikTok trend? /hj

Reactions: messydiaper
Back