Injections

CutestPaddedFemboy said:
no idea about that. but Its true that I have swords
It's a few decades before your time. And on the other side of the Atlantic puddle. 😆

I can watch the needle no problem when having a blood test, but it does make me feel quite faint. On the other hand, as a farmer I have to use injections on cattle quite often, especially calves as they can get ill quite easily since they all spread it to each other. Absolutely no issue doing the injections. So I'd say my issue is with more the act of blood being drawn, rather than the needle itself (although wasn't particularly a fan of the covid vaccinations)

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
I have often fainted when receiving injections and also having a cannula put in.
Twice I've wet myself due to this, once was a huge flood as I needed a full bladder for a scan. So now I wear a nappy whenever I know I'm due to have a needle of any sort.

Needles don't bother me nowadays, but they certainly did when I was a kid. Blood draws, shots, stitches... I can remember Mom saying something like, "If you're good at the doctor, we'll go out to a fancy lunch afterwards!" I knew that meant shots, and I started crying. I guess that didn't count as being "bad" though, because my puffy, tear-streaked face was staring at an ice cream sundae about an hour later.

My worst experience was when I was 4, maybe 5 years old and needed stitches in my forehead after falling from my parents' boat. The doctor came at me with the needle and sutures and I just completely lost control. Everybody in the room then tried to pin me down and immobilize me, and when that didn't work, they wrapped me up on a papoose board. It's basically a medical straitjacket. I remember screaming as they stitched me, and when I cried out to Mom for help I noticed that she was crying too. I so get that now as a parent, having taken my own little kids to the ER. Nothing's worse than seeing your own kid scared and in pain, and not being able to do anything about it. I also think that incident created or contributed to my claustrophobia and fear of restraint. The thought of being trapped or tied up terrifies me.

I was working under the eaves of my house a few years back, noticed a little brown bat, and decided to shoo it with a broom. Unbeknownst to me, there were a dozen more bats in a crack behind it. When I shooed it, they all flew out and swirled around me. Definitely surprising! I went back into the house a few minutes later, felt something on my hip, and instinctively grabbed it. Well, it was a bat that had decided to go for a ride on my jeans, and it wasn't happy about being grabbed. I ended up with a bat loose in my kitchen, a perforated hand, and a first-class ticket to the ER for emergency rabies injections. The amount of rabies "immunoglobulin" that they inject into you is based on your body weight, and it gets injected into the part of you that was exposed. I'm a big guy, the exposure site was my hand, so... yeah... My hand looked like a rubber glove than had been blown up like a balloon! My youngest was 2 or 3 years old at the time, and he thought it was completely hilarious.

So if you're a parent, don't look to your little kids for sympathy when you get shots, ha ha!

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Tine
Cottontail said:
Needles don't bother me nowadays, but they certainly did when I was a kid. Blood draws, shots, stitches... I can remember Mom saying something like, "If you're good at the doctor, we'll go out to a fancy lunch afterwards!" I knew that meant shots, and I started crying. I guess that didn't count as being "bad" though, because my puffy, tear-streaked face was staring at an ice cream sundae about an hour later.

My worst experience was when I was 4, almost 5 years old and needed stitches in my forehead after falling from my parents' boat. The doctor came at me with the needle and sutures and I just completely lost control. Everybody in the room then tried to pin me down and immobilize me, and when that didn't work, they wrapped me up on a papoose board. It's basically a medical straitjacket. I remember screaming as they stitched me, and when I cried out to Mom for help I noticed that she was crying too. I so get that now as a parent, having taken my own little kids to the ER. Nothing's worse than seeing your own kid scared and in pain, and not being able to do anything about it. I also think that incident created or contributed to my claustrophobia and fear of restraint. The thought of being trapped or tied up terrifies me.

I was working under the eaves of my house a few years back, noticed a little brown bat, and decided to shoo it with a broom. Unbeknownst to me, there were a dozen more bats in a crack behind it. When I shooed it, they all flew out and swirled around me. Definitely surprising! I went back into the house a few minutes later, felt something on my hip, and instinctively grabbed it. Well, it was a bat that had decided to go for a ride on my jeans, and it wasn't happy about being grabbed. I ended up with a bat loose in my kitchen, a perforated hand, and a first-class ticket to the ER for emergency rabies injections. The amount of rabies "immunoglobulin" that they inject into you is based on your body weight, and it gets injected into the part of you that was exposed. I'm a big guy, the exposure site was my hand, so... yeah... My hand looked like a rubber glove than had been blown up like a balloon! My youngest was 2 or 3 years old at the time, and he thought it was completely hilarious.

So if you're a parent, don't look to your little kids for sympathy when you get shots, ha ha!
Reading your reply reminded me of an event I had as a kid.
I didn't heed my Mother's order to 'Wait' to be helped ascend some slippery stairs (It was snowy/icy weather), and at @5 years of age, dashed up them, only to slip and slam my brow against the sharp, metal-edged step higher up. Laid open both my eyebrows to the bone, was immediately blinded by the blood (Being blinded freaked me out. Blood, meh, I have a LOT was my usual state of opinion!). Of course, Mom freaking-out, screaming, grabbing me up and tossing me into the car (This was way before 'Car seats'), and then the mad dash to the hospital was bad enough, but they did the same thing to me, the moment the Dr. approached and started trying to numb me before stitching. The first needle into my eyeball (Not precisely, but that's what it felt like), saw ME totally freak out, and of course restrained, then forced to endure all the other injections, then sewing.
Ugly, ugly, ugly memory, and I've still got the hefty scars dividing my eyebrows to this day as a reminder (To tread carefully on slippery things).

Sorry to hear you suffered a similar thing, but happy you got through it!

As for the bats? Nope!!! I ain't messing around with the flying rodentia, tyvm!

:-D

• Wow
  • Hug
Reactions: Cottontail and PadPhilosopher
Cottontail said:

My worst experience was when I was 4, maybe 5 years old and needed stitches in my forehead after falling from my parents' boat. The doctor came at me with the needle and sutures and I just completely lost control. Everybody in the room then tried to pin me down and immobilize me, and when that didn't work, they wrapped me up on a papoose board. It's basically a medical straitjacket. I remember screaming as they stitched me, and when I cried out to Mom for help I noticed that she was crying too. I so get that now as a parent, having taken my own little kids to the ER. Nothing's worse than seeing your own kid scared and in pain, and not being able to do anything about it. I also think that incident created or contributed to my claustrophobia and fear of restraint. The thought of being trapped or tied up terrifies me.

Rabies is nothing to mess with, so I'm glad you got right on that. I'm sorry you've been sliced so much.

Tine said:
Reading your reply reminded me of an event I had as a kid.
I didn't heed my Mother's order to 'Wait' to be helped ascend some slippery stairs (It was snowy/icy weather), and at @5 years of age, dashed up them, only to slip and slam my brow against the sharp, metal-edged step higher up. Laid open both my eyebrows to the bone, was immediately blinded by the blood (Being blinded freaked me out. Blood, meh, I have a LOT was my usual state of opinion!). Of course, Mom freaking-out, screaming, grabbing me up and tossing me into the car (This was way before 'Car seats'), and then the mad dash to the hospital was bad enough, but they did the same thing to me, the moment the Dr. approached and started trying to numb me before stitching. The first needle into my eyeball (Not precisely, but that's what it felt like), saw ME totally freak out, and of course restrained, then forced to endure all the other injections, then sewing.
Ugly, ugly, ugly memory, and I've still got the hefty scars dividing my eyebrows to this day as a reminder (To tread carefully on slippery things).

I'm sorry you got sliced, too!

Reactions: Tine and Cottontail
Tine said:
Aw, gosh… Likewise!

Childhood is pretty dangerous. I’m surprised it’s still legal.

Tine said:
This time of year, it’s common for me to go outside in the evening and have bats darting around me. Thankfully, having gotten the full treatment last time, I’d only need an ordinary shot in the arm if I ever had another encounter.

• Wow
Reactions: Tine and PadPhilosopher
I've been doing IM and insulin injections for so long I don't even think twice about doing it. It dod take a few tries to get the IM injectons down but all is good now. Tomorrow it will be three, one IM and two diabetic medications.

• Hug
PadPhilosopher said:
Rabies is nothing to mess with, so I'm glad you got right on that. I'm sorry you've been sliced so much.

I'm sorry you got sliced, too!
heh
Well, one of Momma's (Many) Sayings went something along the lines of- "Hard heads make for busted a*es!"

Some Life Lessons can be harsh, but often for good reason!

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Cottontail said:
Aw, gosh… Likewise!

Childhood is pretty dangerous. I’m surprised it’s still legal.

This time of year, it’s common for me to go outside in the evening and have bats darting around me. Thankfully, having gotten the full treatment last time, I’d only need an ordinary shot in the arm if I ever had another encounter.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of bats and their consumption of insects, particularly of the mosquito kind!

I took the rabies vaccination for many years, when I was really active out-of-doors. Some of my adventures saw me hundreds of miles from civilization, and amongst all kinds of critters, so (Like tetanus) I got pro-rated ahead of time, justincase.

• Love
Reactions: Cottontail and PadPhilosopher
Well… I’ve had shots and IV and blood draws . By far the blood draw butterfly needle is the least painful experience. I always request the butterfly needle when getting blood drawn due to my very tiny veins haha . Shots for me some were painful and some weren’t when k got my teenage HPV shots the second shot hurt like a bitch for days cause i seized up during insert so the muscle spasmed for days it felt like being smacked by a truck in one arm . iv stuff is okay i don’t like jt but they usually have a good purpose or reason to use it if im in hospital so I never refuse . Most of the times I’ve been to hospital is from dehydration or constipation thinking was dying of an appendicitis.

• Hug
Back