Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 0 guest views remaining

Initial Urology Appointment

I don't amgine it'll be a problem. Most doctors don't care. , unless you have a strange encounter with a trainee nurse like I did...

Rob110 said:
It all depends my first urologist appointment was at his office at the hospital didnt think any thing about it until I arrived checked in and was handed a gown and told to strip down and go to a second waiting room with about 10 other people as there are multiple urologists using same office. A few minutes later ai was on an exam table with a couple of nurses needles to say a fee minutes later Imhad a camera where a camera has never been before.

my second opinion urologist visit a year or so later started in his office, then a ultrasound, then a camera test a week later.

Every urologist does things differently timing wise, ether way dont stress it the testing is a bit embarrassing the first time and a bit uncomfortable but not painful as they numb every thing before the camera is inserted.

Chances are it will be a conversation only the first time but thats what I thought on my first visit :)
Nope. Even numb it still was pretty painful for me but it's just one of the steps in the process I realized I had to gut through.

ltaluv said:
Kidney stones are the second worst pain I've ever experienced. I used to get them every few months, nearly always ending up in the hospital in severe pain.

What was worse? Having a doctor who was placing a stent in one of my bile ducts accidentally push it through the wall of the duct and into my abdominal cavity. It hurt so much that I could not stop screaming, and it dragged on for an hour and a half while they pushed enough narcotics into me that they were afraid I would stop breathing.

I'm sure childbirth is very painful for most women, but it's unrealistic for anyone to claim that they've experienced more pain than someone else could possibly have. My experience with the biliary stent was horrible, but I'm sure others here have had pain that was worse.

Any way you cut it, though, kidney stones suck!
I can think of a more painful thing too... One that I did not mention because it did not last more than a few hours. I had a IO put in my shin bone while awake. A 16 gage needle on the end of a cordless drill. It takes about 30 seconds or a bit longer to screw down in you in but it is extreme pain. I think I woke the hospital when they put the one in me. Then after it is screwed down in my leg he un hooks it from the drill & he said "you are going to hate me....Dry hole we have to do it again." OMG I will never forget that. But that was just the start because when they got the second one done & started pushing the fluids it hurt every bit 100% as bad the fluids going in. It was just below my left knee and it hurt up into the knee like someone was prying my knee cap off with a screwdriver. I had it for about 2 hours and was sent to another hospital and they was in disbelief they did it to me. They asked me when I got to the big hospital when was the last time the put lidocaine in it as I was screaming when I arrived. I said they did one dose when they first drilled it right after puling out the bone marrow but but never gave me more. She said Lidocaine should be injected every 10 to 15 minutes the entire time the needle is in the bone and fluids flowing. Then She told me they had the fluids running in about 3 times as fast as needed and was another reason it hurt so bad. They pulled it and had a competent employee place a IV using ultra sound. That doc felt so bad she hooked me up with a huge Dilaudid shot.
I was in no danger of coding or nothing I was just real sick and dehydrated but the small hospital I went to did not have anyone on duty to start a IV using a ultra sound and after several failed attempts normally they decided to do this BS even though they had no be and knew I was going to a bigger better hospital. I tried to refuse it the first time but they told me I have to have a line in me in order to ride in the ambulance. I said so every time someone needs a ambulance you cant move them from the scene of a wreck without a IV line. She told me well that is different the bottom line is do this or back go home. Man to this day I wish I left and went to another hospital. But I 1000% lied to myself and said to myself.. "How bad can it be?" Big mistake. Never get a IO when awake unless they are certain you are going to die without it. I spent 7 days in a the hospital they took me too. The very first thing I did when I got out was to set up a surgery to get my port. About 3 weeks go by and I get sick again and I still have not got my port for a few more weeks at the time. They tried for about 30 min to get a iv. Then as two nurse are trying to start one on both arms at the same time, Then a another nurse comes in and said the word I never want too her again!! "Okay so the Doctor said lets drill!" I am sick as hell but my head pops right up and I looked her straight in the eyes. I said" The F#CK you are! That shit is never going to happen again so get that out of your F#cking head." She looked like I about made here cry and she was reaching in the cabinet for the drill. She said with a whimper in her voice, "we are just trying to help, it only hurts a few seconds and it is all over." I said I will check out right now and drive myself to another hospital if I need to. I told her I am sorry I am cranky but I am very sick and I have ha that don in that room over there 3 weeks ago. She Said " I feel so bad using you like a pin cushion" I told her you can stab my veins 100 times before I will allow that! All total I had 28 stabs from arms to my legs and feet and the doctor tried twice for the juggler! Then by some miracle they got one on one of my a fingers. They admitted me and the next morning my IV failed, but lucky for me the dude that knows how to do it by ultrasound was working. I have had several of bad experience over the years including a blood clot they caused with a IV.

Last edited:
ltaluv said:
Kidney stones are the second worst pain I've ever experienced. I used to get them every few months, nearly always ending up in the hospital in severe pain.

What was worse? Having a doctor who was placing a stent in one of my bile ducts accidentally push it through the wall of the duct and into my abdominal cavity. It hurt so much that I could not stop screaming, and it dragged on for an hour and a half while they pushed enough narcotics into me that they were afraid I would stop breathing.

I'm sure childbirth is very painful for most women, but it's unrealistic for anyone to claim that they've experienced more pain than someone else could possibly have. My experience with the biliary stent was horrible, but I'm sure others here have had pain that was worse.

Any way you cut it, though, kidney stones suck!
Sorry I forgot to ask. What type of stones? Did they tell you? I had uric acid stones all but one or two of my 15or20 plus stones I had. The bad thing is they do not show up on x-ray and cant be seen to aim the lithotripsy at them. So most of the time they put me on a LemonAid diet to try and dissolve them and then let then past. But I have had several get stuck and they then have to go get them with a scope.
Sorry you have to go through this as they do suck. I will say since I totally stopped trying to hold my urine that my stone count really went down too

Diaperman95 said:
Sorry I forgot to ask. What type of stones? Did they tell you? I had uric acid stones all but one or two of my 15or20 plus stones I had. The bad thing is they do not show up on x-ray and cant be seen to aim the lithotripsy at them. So most of the time they put me on a LemonAid diet to try and dissolve them and then let then past. But I have had several get stuck and they then have to go get them with a scope.
Sorry you have to go through this as they do suck. I will say since I totally stopped trying to hold my urine that my stone count really went down too
Mine were calcium oxalate, which I believe is the most common type. I don't know if it's causal or not, but my regular bouts with stones stopped when my urologist told me to quit drinking tea. I wasn't consuming huge amounts of tea, but perhaps enough because I haven't passed a stone since then. Interestingly, they keep noting a small stone in one kidney on the regular abdominal MRIs I get, but it doesn't seem to be growing or coming loose from the kidney so it hasn't been a problem at all.

Your description of the IO made me cringe. That had to be horrible, especially finding out afterwards that it didn't need to be like that. At least in my case I can take some comfort in knowing that biliary perforation is a known complication of ERCP, so it really wasn't a mistake on the doctor's part but rather just something that happens once in a while. I will say, though, that I've never seen a doctor look as scared as this one did as he stood over the gurney listening to me scream, not sure what had happened or what to do about it.

ltaluv said:
I will say, though, that I've never seen a doctor look as scared as this one did as he stood over the gurney listening to me scream, not sure what had happened or what to do about it.
Yeah that has to make you feel good knowing he was in a panic. It is hard to stay calm when the captain is the first one to jump overboard. I am glad they figured it out.

Calcium stones are the most common. It was weird I use to get the uric acid stones so often because they are normally seen in people with gout or diabetes. I have neither but then again diabetes and gastroparesis run hand and hand and thy have not a clue why I got it. I have a lot of weird shit like that. Necrosis of both hips for No known reason at age 40. Fresh homemade lemonade is one of the best things to dissolve those uric acid stones. They can see them with a ultra sound but not x ray and xray is what aims the lithotripsy to break them.

My latest issue is my BP is all over the place. Earlier today it was 170/95 then about a hour ago it was 85/48. They are having a hard time treating it. I had a pretty big work up by the heart doc about 4 months ago and it did not show a lot except my right ventricle was slightly enlarged. So Tue he repeated the Echo and did a bubble study. I see him Monday to get the official results. But I can see them on my Mychart App already and it looks like I have a mild leaky valve and my right chamber has increase in size and wall thickness. So I guess we will see Monday if that is some or all of my issue and if it needs fixed or just monitored. I am also having a lot of neurological issues that might b contributing. It seams every time they do a test they find something else but they can't seam to figure out why my body hates me. When I had my hip replaced in Nov they did a myelogram on my low back because the hip surgeon was worried about the sudden on set of fecal IC the last few years. They found a tumor at the base of my cord but it is small and not causing issues at this time. In April they are going to repeat the scan to look for changes an when they do they are doing a spinal tap and are scanning the entire spine. I also have moderate degenerative disk disease. I just want to get some real answers of what is going on so we can try and fix it before it kills me or puts me in assisted living. Anyway sorry to vent I have just had those latest test on my mind the last few days. Then my BP dropping out makes me feel so week and tired I have slept most of the day today. My neck and shoulders and arms get stiff and have very little strength and I am retaining fluids and have edema on legs and arms. Well I am going to go to bed here in a minute. You have a good night.

My wife has family out in Jemez New Mexico.

NannaAnnabelle said:
Nope. Even numb it still was pretty painful for me but it's just one of the steps in the process I realized I had to gut through.
Indeed, the numbing gel only works in the urethra and once they reach the sphincter, then prostate and bladder neck I always felt 2 pinches, one for the sphincter and one for the bladder neck , especially when it was a tight fit.
Once the urologist moved around a bit to show where another stricture was and god that hurt, his reply "oops, sorry" (well at least he's always been kind to me, he didn't mean to do it on purpose)
The gel also stops working pretty fast, but works long enough for the examination to be completed, but it doesn't go deep enough (or maybe its just with me because of the strictures that it couldn't get deeper, i don't know, because once when they wanted to push that glowing liquid through the urethra for an MRI they couldn't get it in the bladder, it kept running out on the table)

Back