Infantilizing things about your culture

flybaby said:
I remember that "fingers on your lips" thing. But haven't heard anyone mention it in years. What part of the country and what decade were you in the lower grades? For me it was southern Louisiana in the 70's.
I was in primary school from 1989-1996, 4-11 years old. They didn't use the finger on lips much in our later years, but we were reminded of it.

Reactions: flybaby
Looking at school uniforms here in the UK some schools are now telling girls to wear shorts under their skirts to stop upskirting (looking up to taking photos up a girls skirt) which is an illegal practice over here. One of the things I love about UK school uniforms is how insane some of them are. About 15 years ago and maybe still today for London Hill House school boys had to wear a mustard yellow wool hat a grey shirt mustard yellow wool jumper brown knickerbockers and long grey socks. In Christs School they wear a floor length black robe with high white collar and belt as the waist they look like miniature priests and the famous Eton school (where Prince William and Harry studied) has students wear items such as waistcoats (those of the pop or prefects are quite gaudy) tailcoats and top hats. At least Eton prefects can’t make the younger boys warm the toilet seat for them by sitting on it any more!

My deputy head at primary school had his own special place phrase he invented it was sort of his catchphrase. So much so that when we were in year 6 and did a sketch about teachers and thier quirks this phrase was used. It was ‘Listening Eyes’ he always said to look at the person who’s talking to you. You listen with your eyes as well as your ears and he was right.

Growing up along the Jersey Shore, we would get a lot of rain and sometimes snow during the winter. I vividly remember my mom putting those rubber galoshes on me before I'd go to school. Everyone wore them and the teacher would spend a good part of the morning helping all of us get the buckles unbuckled and the galoshes pulled off our feet because they went over our leather shoes and they were hard for a 5 and 6 year old to get off. We also had either gloves or mittens attached to the arms of our coats and those had to be dealt with. Good times...haha.

Many a teacher still has to help lots of children tie shoelaces.

Sometimes you see a whole group of children on a school trip wearing hi visibility vests. I know it’s for a good reason, but I do think it’s quite infantilising. Also, with very young children, they all hold on to some sort of rope. I remember trips out to the library, where we’d be warned not to step in dog mess, and be told “don’t touch the privet, you’ll have the neighbours after you!”

When children walk in formation, it used to be called a “crocodile”. In some stories about schools, it’s sometimes heard “if you can’t walk sensibly, I’ll have to make you croc”.

I’ve written about this in another thread. I went to public elementary school in the Northeastern U.S. It was during the 1960s and comprised grades 1 through 6, and student ages ranged between about 6 and 12. There were no restrooms attached to the classrooms; girls’ and boys’ rooms, one of each were in two separate wings, plus another set located nearby by the lunchroom-gymnasium/auditorium-office area.

Without fail the teachers took the class as a group to the restrooms twice per day, once in the morning and again in the afternoon. The regimen was usually to line up at the classroom door, then walk single file through the corridors, sometimes with alternating boys and girls, to the doors of the restrooms. In the early grades the teacher might allow only small groups of students to go into the bathrooms together. My recollection is there were no restrictions to reenter the building during either morning or afternoon recesses. There may have been some restrictions in the younger grades, but I don t ever recall needing to ask.

Despite this regimen there were still plenty of student pants wetting or pooping accidents.

My mom made a big deal about how her parents didn't treat her like the age she was and were always belittling her when she was growing up, but then she ended up doing many of the exact same things to me.

I would literally point out that she was doing the exact same thing to me that sometimes only weeks earlier she had complained to me that her parents had done to her, but she would deny having said such things, or justify that it was different even if it was verbatim the exact same thing.

For example, she resented being forced to go to church as a teenager and not be allowed to make her own decision about what religion she wanted to be. When I was 19, she forced me go to her church because I was living with her for the summer between semesters at college. I pointed out how upset she was and how bad she claimed her parents were for doing that to her, and now she was doing the exact same thing to me, she insisted that it was completely different because it was a different religion that she was forcing down my throat than what was forced down hers.

Other times when I was little, she would treat me much more maturely when I was one age, then when I was older, she treated me like I was much younger than she had when I actually was younger. She would brag that she was trusting me to cross the street, choose my own bedtime, finish my homework, etc and then a few years later even though I was always responsible and well behaved, especially when compared to my siblings, she would suddenly regress in her parenting and start infantilizing me more than when I actually was the age when that kind of overparenting would have been acceptable.

I know this was the result of whomever she was dating or how her drinking/drug/addiction habits changed, but it really messed me up. When I was little, she was a pretty good parent, and I was treated with respect and trust. When I got older though, she started really treating me poorly and letting terrible things happen indirectly if not deliberately inflicting them on me or my brother.

I think this is less of an indictment of our culture as it is a statement about her as a parent, but it also reflects a change in our situation from what started out much more middle class in nature, and over time degraded into a criminal/addict/impoverished cultural strata. My personal observations during that transition were overwhelmingly that the uneducated (her illiterate boyfriends/husband) and mentally impaired (drug addicted) were/are unable to do anything but infantilize their kids as they didn't know better. They didn't have the resources or mental capacity to treat their kids as people but instead relied on belittling, micromanaging, punishing, and abusing them as a means of controlling them aka "raising" them as they would call it.

Infantilizing CAN BE harmless and even beneficial when it allows kids to more slowly transition from the comforts of infancy and childhood into more responsible and mature kids/teens/adults. It can protect them from facing certain realities or stations before they are fully ready to handle or cope with them. When done right, those things can be the best part of childhood for kids with parents willing to allow it and support them as they grow and mature.

When done wrong however, infantilizing isn't about what is best for the kid and helping them become the best person they can be, it is about the limits and even selfishness of the parent in holding their kids back in order to feel good themselves. When parents are doing what is easiest or what makes them feel good, rather than prioritizing their kids above themselves due to greed or diminished mental capacity, endless harm can result.

Cultural perceptions of these things can change and will vary from by country, region, neighborhood, or household, but at the end of the day just because something is considered normal doesn't make it good or right, and something being abnormal doesn't make it wrong. Infantilizing has the potential to be very good or very bad, but what matters is who is benefiting from it and how such things will turn out in the long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogboy
feetintrouble said:
The other infantilising thing about UK schools are the school uniforms. I know they're not unique to the UK, but it's one thing that's well-known. Almost all primary and secondary schools make children wear them, with only a few exceptions. I was at primary school in an odd period when primary school children didn't have to wear uniform, it was a bit of a shock when I went to secondary school. The strictness of this varies: usually, the more posh the school, the more strict the uniform policy is. Children can be "isolated" for uniform breaches, or sent home. It used to be common practice for school girls to be made to kneel, to check their skirts were long enough to touch the floor. When a new head teacher takes over a school, sometimes one of the first things they do is to change the uniform to "make their mark", or to really toughen up existing rules. "Things are going to be different now I'm in charge."

Uniforms are sold as an "equaliser", making it harder to tell the rich and poor kids apart, although in practice, it does no such thing. There are also non-uniform days, usually about once each term. It's also notable that children often look much older when they're out of uniform. Also the difference between what boys and girls wear: girls' uniforms are often less practical: they wear T-bar shoes that make their feet wet, and some schools tell them not to do handstands in the playground because of their dresses.

I don't think there's anything inherently bad about being told to "think about going to the toilet". I learned this the hard way as a young adult, when I did a job involving being in a car a lot of the time in a big city, and public toilets are as rare as hens' teeth in rough areas. I worked out that I needed to go at least once every three hours in the day, and I had to plan rest stops into my day. Before that, I had been used to there always being a toilet nearby, and I had never really had to think about how often I went.
We have school uniforms here in asia as well and all students have to wear white shoes , mostly white sneakers / trainers . I was still wearing white velcro school shoes in secondary school and wore them till i graduated.

1709199782632.png1709199803770.png

Reactions: dogboy
Sgdlboy said:
We have school uniforms here in asia as well and all students have to wear white shoes , mostly white sneakers / trainers . I was still wearing white velcro school shoes in secondary school and wore them till i graduated.

View attachment 131283View attachment 131284
In British schools with their uniforms, trainers/sneakers are sometimes the only fashion statement pupils are allowed to make. (It's the same in some prisons as well.) Younger children sometimes have to wear plimsolls. Also, I understand than in many Asian countries, changing into "indoor shoes" are part of the culture: this is rare in Britain, but happens sometimes.

Back