Incoming price increase

Free money equals greater expenses.

Reactions: AtPeace, PaddedMikey and Joediaper
Shipping costs with FedEx and UPS continue to climb. Most places offer free shipping on cases…. I’d say 30-40% of the case price has shipping wrapped into it. I know companies get volume shipping discounts etc, but as transportation costs continue to rise, so will the cost of everything. It’s not just fuel. It’s tires, maintenance, and driver costs too….. insurance it all keeps climbing

Reactions: TigerDL, Seasonedcitizen and BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:
Everything's going up. Gasoline has already gone up over 50% in the past 6 months.
There's no doubt this price surge came as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Kaliborio said:
This has been my experience. I'm an AB/DL who developed IC after realising I was AB/DL.
Exact oposite here - had HEAVY ic issues life-long - then later (teens) AB noticed, but still NEVER heard that tern until early to mid 20s.

nwm said:
Exact oposite here - had HEAVY ic issues life-long - then later (teens) AB noticed, but still NEVER heard that tern until early to mid 20s.
Ah okay! In that case we're not quite exact opposite — I did spend extensive time in diapers involuntarily prior to voluntarily returning to them, but I wasn't in control of my own diapering prior to this time around so it was irrelevant to this thread

I hope as raw materials surge in the foreign market that we only see small increases in price, I think I'm being optimistic though. Our structure just isnt supportive on keeping smaller businesses untouchable with stock.
Between insurances, taxes, building rentals, employee wages, import fee's, shipping (not just ups or fedex, but the main import shipping) we are at a clinch point and unfortunately we can only go up from there. My main concern as these smaller companies are getting better and better at making useful products is that they dont get priced out and have to return to a more of a novelty knitch type of market. Kind of like 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards mentality.

On the resale side of things, I have noticed a VERY high increase in shipping prices in the last 2 years.
According to my business records, I'm paying over double for shipping expenses compared to 5 years ago ... as a small reseller, this has affected what I am able to resell profitable. To make things worse, large businesses are still getting very large shipping discounts, while us small businesses are paying out the nose !!!

Reactions: TigerDL, PaddedMikey, Subtlerustle and 1 other person
KitsuneFox said:
To make things worse, large businesses are still getting very large shipping discounts, while us small businesses are paying out the nose !!!
Exactly. This is why the term "cheaper by the dozen" exists. It's always been difficult for the "little person". :cry:

It also explains why mediocrity flourishes and excellence struggles. :cry::cry:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 56273
BabyTweetyBird said:
There's no doubt this price surge came as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
That’s why I have absolutely no respect for China nor its enablers.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 56273, AtPeace, Joediaper and 1 other person
ZetaSonic said:
That’s why I have absolutely no respect for China nor its enablers.
I agree. The Chinese Communist Government must be punished for this. They lied, held back about the virus, to the tune of over 4 million dead and trillions upon trillions of dollars worldwide. They need to abdicate their power or be isolated into doing it.

This may not have been the Great Leap Forward Famine of the early '60s...but it was global in scope and damage. The CCG needs to go.

Reactions: AtPeace, Joediaper and Subtlerustle
With the government stimulus packages around the western world, things have led to wage inflation as well. Possibly temporary, but many small businesses have wages as one of their highest input costs. There’s off course an argument to be made that many wages were not considered “liveable” pre pandemic to start with. Either way, diapers can be this groups canary in the coal mine for the future price of things.

I think some of the inflation is here to stay, some might be transient inflation, let's just keep our fingers crossed that it is more of the latter.

ronnieM said:
Have you seen what ABU's supplier charges per diaper compared to ABU?
Have you seen what it costs to get a shipping container across the ocean to the Americas? I did the math once a few years ago and the actual cost for ABU was about US$1.80 per diaper. And that didn't include import tariffs. Also remember that shipping is included in the price you pay. At the time I did the math their profit margin was just under 30%.

Reactions: TigerDL and BobbiSueEllen
Ocean freight has increased over 3-4x the ammount. To bring a dry container over from china the cost is currently over $10,000. This alone would cause price increases. Not to mention increased overhead due to increased wages and other factors. Raw material shortage, oversea labor shortages. Ocean freight from asia has gone up so much its ridiculous. At this rate i would be surprised if their prices dont increase at all.

• Wow
it's a shame American has to import all their incontinence nappies. Here in Europe we have a large range we can pick from and some of the best nappies you can buy. And the Pound is stronger than the States. I Can get 63 (case) Tena Slip Active Fits Ultima for £50 with next day delivery included. I get so much pleasure from wearing nappies I think that is a bargain.

Last edited:
bobbilly said:
it's a shame American has to import all their incontinence nappies. Here in Europe we have a large range we can pick from and some of the best nappies you can buy. And the Pound is stronger than the States. I Can get 63 (case) Tena Slip Active Fits Ultima for £50 with next day delivery included. I get so much pleasure from wearing nappies I think that is a bargain.
The real shame is when Bill Clinton signed the trade agreement at the APEC Summit in Seattle on Blake Island in 1993: with the backing of Congress, he threw the doors wide-open to trade with China as part of the deal. Others, including our own industries, could not compete.

The move also paved the way for American corporations to shut down their production lines, terminate their employees and become warehouses for imported Chinese products made to their specs...and greatly increase their profit margins.

It also gave great tariff relief to China. Back in the early 19th century, England tried to flood the US with goods at lower prices in order to drive American production to a standstill, with the aim of controlling the market and then driving prices back up to whatever they wanted. Protective tariffs were enacted to curb that...and they succeeded. We sure need to enact those tariffs now.

27 years after APEC, look at us now. And look at China now.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbilly and Joediaper
BobbiSueEllen said:
The real shame is when Bill Clinton signed the trade agreement at the APEC Summit in Seattle on Blake Island in 1993: with the backing of Congress, he threw the doors wide-open to trade with China as part of the deal. Others, including our own industries, could not compete.

The move also paved the way for American corporations to shut down their production lines, terminate their employees and become warehouses for imported Chinese products made to their specs...and greatly increase their profit margins.

It also gave great tariff relief to China. Back in the early 19th century, England tried to flood the US with goods at lower prices in order to drive American production to a standstill, with the aim of controlling the market and then driving prices back up to whatever they wanted. Protective tariffs were enacted to curb that...and they succeeded. We sure need to enact those tariffs now.

27 years after APEC, look at us now. And look at China now.
One word: embargo .

Back