Incident at work, a bit shaken

Ashbub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
I haven't posted in a few years but I just had a pretty traumatic experience and want to tell someone, anyone!
I've been training my bladder for the last year to regain control. Prior I would wear whenever in public. I have been relatively dry for months in the daytime and was confident enough to wear normal corporate clothes to work. I wear a light incon pad, about 300ml which is enough to give me time to find a bathroom.

I just started a new banking job this week. It has a strict dress code for both men and women, so I didn't dare wear heavy protection underneath given I need to wear tight clothing (pressures of a mid 20s person).

I just went to have a friday drink after work. It's a pretty fancy place so there was a bit of a line of suited people. I kind of needed a bathroom. While standing in line I was chatting with my boss and I felt my bladder give out without warning. I tried as hard as I could but couldn't stop the flow. I'm talking completely drenched. It was clearly pooling on the ground beneath my feet when I glanced down. We were miraculously ushered inside and I stuck into the bathroom, wetting the whole time as I walked. I ran into a stool and just burst out crying while i finished. There was no point trying to undress and use a toilet at that point. The floor was soaked. My pants and socks and shoes were soaked. I just stood there for 20 minutes shaking. I was wearing light blue and it was so obvious...

I walked to the train without saying goodbye, my corporatewear sticking to my legs blatantly. I was on the verge of tears all the way home. I'm hoping with all my heart no one from work noticed. I haven't had a serious failure for months, why now...

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, Freddie07601, AComputerGuy and 7 others
That must have been devastating, I am so sorry. I hope you are better prepared from now on, it is a known fact that stress causes incontinence. A new job is almost inevitably stressful.

Reactions: Diprs2 and (deleted member)
Ashbub said:
I walked to the train without saying goodbye, my corporatewear sticking to my legs blatantly. I was on the verge of tears all the way home. I'm hoping with all my heart no one from work noticed. I haven't had a serious failure for months, why now...
Maybe the accident happened because you were under stress because of starting a new job? I dont know where you live but in a lot of places if its caused by a medical issue the employer has to accomodate you and cant fire you for it. It sounds like urge IC to me. I have that but in my case I dont work anymore. If I were you Id wear some sort of discreet protection under your pants. The pullup daytime briefs you can buy nowdays arent noticeable under most clothes. An ounce of prevention....

Reactions: Diprs2, Bombyx and Ashbub
Im so sorry that happened to you. That would be a very hard moment to deal with. I hope everything works out for you in the long run.

Reactions: Diprs2
Saltedcaramel64 said:
Im so sorry that happened to you. That would be a very hard moment to deal with. I hope everything works out for you in the long run.
Thanks for the kind words :) I'm so glad I could tell someone

I am very sorry you experienced that situation. I understand the embarrassment you felt as I have also tempted fate several times (some would think I would learn the first time) and have had similar experiences with both of my incontinence issues. It is frustrating but it is also an issue we have little or no control over. All we can do is try to stay positive and not to let the situation affect us. I have learned that I can no longer trust my body to give me any warning. Best advice I can give is to never let it shake you, you did nothing wrong. And always try to be prepared for similar situations to occur again.

I agree @Weeinmypants. I was on a business trip once and we were sitting drinking outside in FL. Somehow my diaper leaked and the whole of my butt was drenched and I never felt it during to the heat and humidity. I felt a odd trickle and went to find a bathroom. Upon standing I realized just how soaked I was. I sat in the bathroom trying to dry my pants in super humid outdoor weather. I had to give up and just face the piper. I went back and my peers asked me what happened and I had to own it. We walked back to the hotel as I continued leaking down my legs. Embarrassing but they never said anything more about it.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Bombyx
It happened so deal with it. Unfortunately it was in a professional environment and not a social one. People who noticed were probably as embarrassed as you were. Now go for better protection. No one will probably ask about but if someone does just curtly say you have a medical problem. End of discussion. There are many medical reasons that cause IC.

You could have spilled water on yourself and looked the same. It was an accident so don’t let it trouble you. You will ultimately be judged on your work performance.

Reactions: Diprs2, DiaperDiva and joemama
So sorry for you, but if anyone noticed, and you are a nice person, and good employee, all will be forgotten. If anything, I think this builds the case for diapers at work. I also work in a professional setting and wear and wet my diaper during the day. No one knows, or if they know...I don't know they know. You will be fine with diapers at work. I also use a few drops of scented oil in my diaper to keep me smelling fresh and clean. Some coworkers have even commented on how pleasant my cologne is, if they only knew it was a few drops of baby powder scented oil from Abbey & Sullivan.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Seasonedcitizen
So sorry you had to deal with this in a work environment. Unfortunately it happens.
At this stage, I'd recommend getting some thicker protection - Tena Slip Maxi is a good daytime diaper which is absorbent yet discreet. They're also easy to re-tape if you are able to reach a toilet in time.

If your diaper causes too much of a bulge, wear trousers which are a size up. If your diaper waistband shows you can wear a plain onesie to hide it.

For work, it's best to act like it didn't happen around your colleagues, but I'd suggest disclosing it to HR that you're wearing diapers to manage a bladder condition. This way if anyone gives you grief for it, HR can help you handle it. But if anyone is concerned, just say that it's a medical issue and politely say you don't want to talk about it further.

I can't promise much, but after what you've just faced, handling diapers at work is so much easier. Much more discreet, responsible and professional too.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Reactions: Diprs2, antte91 and Seasonedcitizen
joemama said:
I agree @Weeinmypants. I was on a business trip once and we were sitting drinking outside in FL. Somehow my diaper leaked and the whole of my butt was drenched and I never felt it during to the heat and humidity. I felt a odd trickle and went to find a bathroom. Upon standing I realized just how soaked I was. I sat in the bathroom trying to dry my pants in super humid outdoor weather. I had to give up and just face the piper. I went back and my peers asked me what happened and I had to own it. We walked back to the hotel as I continued leaking down my legs. Embarrassing but they never said anything more about it.
I also overflowed a diaper during a business trip in Florida. I felt the trickle down my leg as we were getting into a shared car to go to the airport. I think with the humidity I was drinking too much.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Seasonedcitizen
Ashbub said:
I haven't posted in a few years but I just had a pretty traumatic experience and want to tell someone, anyone!
I've been training my bladder for the last year to regain control. Prior I would wear whenever in public. I have been relatively dry for months in the daytime and was confident enough to wear normal corporate clothes to work. I wear a light incon pad, about 300ml which is enough to give me time to find a bathroom.

I just started a new banking job this week. It has a strict dress code for both men and women, so I didn't dare wear heavy protection underneath given I need to wear tight clothing (pressures of a mid 20s person).

I just went to have a friday drink after work. It's a pretty fancy place so there was a bit of a line of suited people. I kind of needed a bathroom. While standing in line I was chatting with my boss and I felt my bladder give out without warning. I tried as hard as I could but couldn't stop the flow. I'm talking completely drenched. It was clearly pooling on the ground beneath my feet when I glanced down. We were miraculously ushered inside and I stuck into the bathroom, wetting the whole time as I walked. I ran into a stool and just burst out crying while i finished. There was no point trying to undress and use a toilet at that point. The floor was soaked. My pants and socks and shoes were soaked. I just stood there for 20 minutes shaking. I was wearing light blue and it was so obvious...

Really sorry to hear that this happened to you. I'm sure it was really
awful, but as others have said here, you did nothing wrong and it's not
your fault. I'm sure if any of your colleagues noticed then it'll be
forgotten sooner or later. Would probably be a good idea to change your
protection to something more reliable. Agree with many other responses
on here that Tena Slip Maxis are the way to go.

Reactions: Diprs2, antte91 and joemama
I would ask my self, what is more noticeable? Option A: A quality pull up or light duty premium diaper that can catch a full bladder dump? Or Option B: soaking my pants in my office full of co workers.

It does not matter if you use it ever or not. Just having it on would be enough piece of mind for me. I mean lets be real most people donot try to figure out if the new guy has a diaper on. A Good pull up and can still go to the restroom normal when your bladder is not out to get you.

Try a Tena super plus for men. They can hold most large leaks at least once. I have put on 2 before and then tearaway and toss the inside one out when wet and it is a instant change. No need to take off shoes. Two of these doubled is less bulky than most diapers. These do not break up and clump up like most cheaper pull ups. They really are pretty decent for what they are.

Hope it helps. Welcome back as well.

Ashbub said:

Oh dear, that's such a sad story! I do hope that none of your work colleagues noticed anything, and that you have been ok since your accident. You must have felt so embarrassed, and I do feel for you.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Diaperman95
Back