Imodium has stopped working - help!

Minih

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I've been taking Immodium in varying quantities for the past 16 years. I've had periods where I've been able to largely stop taking it, but I've also had times when I've taken eight tables a day, every day, for a couple of months. In the last month, it seems to have stopped working - I've still had diarrhoea and accidents - and decided I'd stop taking it a couple of days ago to see whether either my diarrhoea had got worse, or whether Imodium just wasn't working for me anymore. It's only been a couple of days, but so far it seems that the Imodium had just stopped having any effect on my bowels.

I've relied on Imodium pretty significantly to keep having a fairly normal life for those 16 years, and the prospect of uncontrollable long-term diarrhoea isn't particularly appealing. I've got an appointment with my GP next week, but he's quite good at asking what I want in terms of meds and investigations etc, so it would be good to go armed with a few options.

Has anyone else experienced this problem where Imodium stops working, or not had any success with it at all, and if so, have you found any alternatives? The internet seems to be fairly devoid of suggestions apart from Lotomil / Co-Phenotrope, which doesn't seem to be a great long-term solution given the potential for addiction.

I'm thinking of going down the trans-anal irrigation route, so interested to know if anyone's had success with that. FWIW, I've tried amytriptiline, and that was a disaster.

Thanks!

Oh, I’m so sorry for your experience and it must be absolutely devastating to deal with.

I think your definitely doing the right thing if you’re doing all the medical investigations.

It really is a problem for many people when we rely on a particular medication and treatment.

I’m not medically qualified so I’m not about to start diagnosing or otherwise, just to say I’m so sorry, get all the help you can and from the right places.

And whatever this takes you be strong and know that people (certainly me) accept conditions, whatever they are, want to help, support and make your life better.

I do have friends with IBS, Crohn’s and other issues, all of which are manageable once understood.

Good luck and thinking of you. 🥰

J x

Last edited by a moderator:
SissyJenny2 said:
Oh, I’m so sorry for your experience and it must be absolutely devastating to deal with.

I think your definitely doing the right thing if you’re doing all the medical investigations.

It really is a problem for many people when we rely on a particular medication and treatment.

I’m not medically qualified so I’m not about to start diagnosing or otherwise, just to say I’m so sorry, get all the help you can and from the right places.

And whatever this takes you be strong and know that people (certainly me) accept conditions, whatever they are, want to help, support and make your life better.

I do have friends with IBS, Crohn’s and other issues, all of which are manageable once understood.

Good luck and thinking of you. 🥰

J x
Thanks! Unfortunately, my consultant has told me that they've done every medically-relevant test that has any scientific backing and that finding a cause is pretty unlikely at the moment, so I'm down to just managing the symptoms. Which was fine when Imodium was working, but not so fine now.

• Wow
Reactions: uknappygirl and (deleted member)
Sorry @Minih i haven’t helped but I really do feel your pain.

I really don’t have answers but I do know people and all those that care about you will understand.

I really do wish you well and hope that you find the solution that suits you.

J x

Reactions: Deleted member 57387
I've had reasonably good luck with Bentyl (dicyclomine), so you might run that one by your doctor. With these sorts of issues there is really no one-size-fits-all answer...

Best of luck!

Reactions: uknappygirl and (deleted member)
That's sounds alarming similar to my experience with imodium. What I will tell you from experience is that long term use of it will shut down your colon. Last year about this time I was having horrible diarrhea that resulted in a colon resection, while the imodium was not the cause the doctor said it did me no favors in preventing what happened, and if anything it was just hiding the problem. Usually diarrhea is caused by inflammation so you will need. A colonoscopy to find the problem. Just be careful and get checked out.

Reactions: uknappygirl
Minih said:
My consultant has told me that they've done every medically-relevant test that has any scientific backing and that finding a cause is pretty unlikely at the moment, so I'm down to just managing the symptoms.
Sapphyre said:
I've had reasonably good luck with Bentyl (dicyclomine).
I have had diarrhoea for days for which Imodium A-D caplets (loperamide) have no effect. Bentyl (dicyclomine) aggravates my GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Although I do not have a consultant, my internist refers me to a gastroenterologist (one who treats problems and diseases of the digestive system and are expert in how the digestive system works). Even though you have a highly trained consultant, you should see an expert in the digestive system. He may have suggestions leading to easier management of your diarrhoea if not able to reduce the amount of diarrhoea. Specific types of food can cause diarrhoea, particularly with IBS. A gastroentrologist can put you on an elimination diet in which the first phase involves removing foods he suspects trigger your symptoms. I recommend that a gastroenterologist do a colonoscopy for you . For now I merely change my diaper as needed.

legojoker88 said:
I was having horrible diarrhea that resulted in a colon resection.
I want to continue diapering up 24/7 and accept the need for it. However, I do not have bowel control because I cannot hold my poop and must poop with little notice. Fortunately, I am neither upset nor embarrassed. Nevertheless, I have a total loss of bowel control. During digestion, my poop flows from my large intestine into my rectum. In response, my rectal walls expand, signalling the need to poop. The two anal sphincter muscles, the voluntary outside seal and involuntary internal muscle hold the poop in the rectum until I relax my sphincters to release the poop. In my case, my sphincters will often relax without notice or control, dumping diarrhoea on my floor because my nursing home provided diapers do not hold diarrhoea regardless of the potty being ten feet away. One hopes my nursing home does not declare this intolerable, requiring me to have surgery as you had.

Last edited:
Minih said:
I've been taking Immodium in varying quantities for the past 16 years. I've had periods where I've been able to largely stop taking it, but I've also had times when I've taken eight tables a day, every day, for a couple of months. In the last month, it seems to have stopped working - I've still had diarrhoea and accidents - and decided I'd stop taking it a couple of days ago to see whether either my diarrhoea had got worse, or whether Imodium just wasn't working for me anymore. It's only been a couple of days, but so far it seems that the Imodium had just stopped having any effect on my bowels.

I've relied on Imodium pretty significantly to keep having a fairly normal life for those 16 years, and the prospect of uncontrollable long-term diarrhoea isn't particularly appealing. I've got an appointment with my GP next week, but he's quite good at asking what I want in terms of meds and investigations etc, so it would be good to go armed with a few options.

Has anyone else experienced this problem where Imodium stops working, or not had any success with it at all, and if so, have you found any alternatives? The internet seems to be fairly devoid of suggestions apart from Lotomil / Co-Phenotrope, which doesn't seem to be a great long-term solution given the potential for addiction.

I'm thinking of going down the trans-anal irrigation route, so interested to know if anyone's had success with that. FWIW, I've tried amytriptiline, and that was a disaster.

Thanks!
This One took a variety of medicinals in the beginning. Unless an episode of tummy distress occurs (such as trying new foods, or perhaps not being more careful about drinking from outside water sources), taking medicine is no longer a regular thing.
Diet seems to have made the greatest strides in handling loose bowels. Some foods contribute to it, others do well in staving it off.
Experiment with this and see what works best for you/your body.

This One wishes you all the best!

Back