I'm IC and and I always have a scent in my house.

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Yes, I'm IC and my house has a scent. I always use chlorophyll copper pills, good diapers (Abena or Confidry 24/7) and use plastic pants. But I still have that scent. At least my sister said when she visited. I don't really smell that but I know it does. My house is clean, well aired out and I don't let diaper supplies laying around. I always use incense (sandlewood) but I guess having a BM accident still has a little bit of that scent. And pee too. What else do you do? I worry if someone comes over. If you have that BM or pee scent, what do you use?

We have four cats, who create their own special scent in the basement. I'm not suggesting that as a solution but if you had a pet (cat/dog), you could always blame it on that if it gets mentioned.

Reactions: Chosen
Most homes have a scent but they are usually unremarkable and not very memorable. What does your sister say about the scent? Is it musty? Does it smell like an old person’s home? It must have stood out for her to say something about it.

If you spend a weekend away from home, do you smell it when you come back home?

She said she smelled a little like poop. Not pee. That day I had an accident in the morning, cleaned myself and showered. Even send around the house with fresh incense. But she smelled that. Not really that strong but bad enough.

That’s probably what’s doing it then :/
Maybe have a look at how you dispose of poop diapers? Personally, I have these 2 gallon black bags from Amazon that I wrap every diaper in before I toss it. They’re totally air proof, you can trap air in them and it doesn’t leak.

greatlake5 said:
Yes, I'm IC and my house has a scent. I always use chlorophyll copper pills, good diapers (Abena or Confidry 24/7) and use plastic pants. But I still have that scent. At least my sister said when she visited. I don't really smell that but I know it does. My house is clean, well aired out and I don't let diaper supplies laying around. I always use incense (sandlewood) but I guess having a BM accident still has a little bit of that scent. And pee too. What else do you do? I worry if someone comes over. If you have that BM or pee scent, what do you use?
I think your just worrying or been a little paranoyed. People and friends who love and care about you won't judge you on that and if they do there not real friends.... just be yourself... accept yourself for who you are...and the right people will love you regardless x

LaPew said:
That’s probably what’s doing it then :/
Maybe have a look at how you dispose of poop diapers? Personally, I have these 2 gallon black bags from Amazon that I wrap every diaper in before I toss it. They’re totally air proof, you can trap air in them and it doesn’t leak.
I'm really good at getting rid of smelly diapers even they don't actually smell that bad. I know it's not a rose bouquet but I do put the diapers in a 5 gallon bucket in the backyard before the garbage guy picks the other garbage out. The bucket is moved out of the house every 2 days. And I put them in a smaller plastic bags. I also use a good cologne (Polo). Maybe I'll get a dog?

• Haha
Reactions: Chosen and slimjiminy
I agree with blackwaltz in saying that you're worried or paranoid, and its led to you just being hyperfocused on the matter. Your sister caught a slight whiff of your accident earlier. Its not to say that your whole house reeks spontaneously of crap all day long.

Two facts:
Family is typically more used to you and your normal scent than the average person. Therefore, they're more likely to pick up on any changes.
And
Women in particular have a more acute sense of smell vs men.

• Thinking
Reactions: Chosen and blackwaltz
askmelater47 said:
you're worried or paranoid, and its led to you just being hyperfocused on the matter. Your sister caught a slight whiff of your accident earlier. Its not to say that your whole house reeks spontaneously of crap all day lon
Family is typically more used to you and your normal scent than the average person. Therefore, they're more likely to pick up on any changes.
Women in particular have a more acute sense of smell vs men.
First off, yes, I guess I'm maybe a little paranoid. Why wouldn't I? My younger sister didn't say that my home reeks, just a that little scent of poop.
As for my family, they haven't lived with me before I went to university. And now I live alone since I moved to my first place. Since then I live the whole time as solo. The only thing I can notice after an accident is just a little pungency (I use chlorophyll copper pills). When I'm working, my secretary always say how great I smell (she said she loves my Polo cologne). My sister loves me and I love her. She never criticized me. We had a great time during the visit. She just noticed that she smelled a little like poop. Maybe it's just that, like you said, women have a more acute smell vs men.

I think anyone who also has total IC, all you can do is mediate that scent (stink). I don't care you're using a internal deodorant and plastic pants.
Within minutes, if you had a poop accident, other people would know. They may not know exactly what is smelling but they'll know something is up.
I use Nullo sometimes and it does mediate the smell. But you have to use it regularly. It can take up to a week for it to use. I'm in diapers 24/7 and I use plastic pants along with Nullo. Some of my family know when I loaded my diaper. They're used to that scent and tell me to go get changed. In public, most people don't have a clue but they know something is weird. It gives me enough time to change without running for a bathroom. Now if you're bowel IC and don't wear plastic pants or use internal deodorants, everyone around you will know immediately.

Reactions: DiaperDiva
My wife and I have separate bedrooms (we sleep better that way). She checks my room regularly and she can tell if it is time to wash my sheets/bedpad or my plastic pants need a good cleaning. She is acutely aware of it, but when someone else is over they have never, to my knowledge, smelled anything. This includes our kids. When I have the occasional fecal accident, I bag it and take it directly to the bin outside, but sometimes the odor lingers a while, especially in the lower level bathroom area. If you are clean and hygienic, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've found that I and my wife are much more aware of my issues than anyone else.

My son is still pretty training somewhat and had taken to hiding dirty pullups on his room which can lead to quite the odor. I use an ozone generator in there which kills the odor really well. It works on a lot of odors actually and gets rid of them permanently. The things was really affordable especially considering it is reusable. I highly recommend it, but whatch a YouTube video first on them as officer is a respiratory irritant so you will need to clear out of the area and them sort out your house or car afterwards.

Works great though.

• Thinking
Thanks sis. Well I use air filters and bag each diaper. I keep my used ones in a forceflex trash bag and take the bag out once a day. Also I find a nice scented candle helps but some people don’t like that smell either.

My low-tech solution is to have my windows open pretty much all of the time when the weather is warm enough. I'll also burn incense, which I really like but is not for everyone.

I'm not currently using an internal deodorant so it's very crucial to change as soon as possible in the morning.

Reactions: greatlake5
Northshore has some new scented disposal bags. They sent me a sample of 25 this month. I am only going to use them for number2 or staying or changing at someone's house other than my own. Some people just have a nose for odors too. If you are not leaving dirty or wet diapers lay around I would not worry a lot. My bitch mother in-law always had to make some comment because that is the person she is. Lucky we threw her clean out of our lives for good reason. My wife has a ostomy and she use to be down right hateful and mean. Not saying that is your sister but no one else ever says a word.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiaperDiva
DiaperDiva said:
My low-tech solution is to have my windows open pretty much all of the time when the weather is warm enough. I'll also burn incense, which I really like but is not for everyone.
Like I said, I air-out the house all the time. I get great lake breezes whenever I open the windows. I have a good supply of Sandlewood incense and use it like it's regular oxygen. I wear quality disposables, plastic pants and I use Nullo (chlorophyll copper). On top of all of this, I only eat a
"non-smelly" diet. I put the garbage out daily. I don't think there's anything else I can do. I do admit that we had dinner at a restaurant (sorry, I like Greek food). Maybe that's what happened.

Reactions: DiaperDiva and Diaperman95
Back