If you had low income would you prioritise nappies?

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I think I would as wearing nappies really help with my mental health struggles. I'm lucky that I have a healthy income and well stocked but if I was poor I would go without just to be able to wear nappies. Also I'm pretty fortunate that I've never gone without nappies. Been wearing IC nappies since I was 11, not from incontinence but for emotional needs. My foster parents let me wear nappies from age 11 and I have worn ever since. When I turned 17 I was able to get disability benefits and in the U.K. these are quite generous and I'm able to afford any nappies that take my fancy so I'm very fortunate.

definitely yes, not in 1st position, but really in priority needs now. I can in the worst case, reduce my use, as in the day time, but at night I don't want to pass the night in "normal" underwear lol .. my diaper, is a normal underwear for me now at night lol 😌

I'd have to wean myself off I'd but the cheapest and only use if possible...then they'd fade like a wetness indicator and no longer be a priority

Well since I don't need to wear them, I would make sure all my bills are paid and I have food then with what's leftover I would save to buy some

Reactions: KittyMerriweather
I would wear the same as I do now--cloth diapers and plastic pants. Much less expensive than disposables.

Reactions: NappiedTruckDriver
Yes, very much so, since I actually need diapers to function in society (IC), but I would most likely make quite a few changes in my diapering habit. First would be to switch to cloth, using 401k money if need be, as they are cheaper to maintain in the long run. If you do it right, only thing you will be replacing is plastic pants every year or so. Secondly, I would be bargain shopping for disposables, most likely switching to mainly abenas and northshores with no ABDL products, and only use them when necessary when cloth are just too much of a hassle. They would be on autoship, as that tends to save 5-10% depending on the company, and I could change shipment dates and skip deliveries to correspond with 'pay day' better.

But, it would depend on the situation. Only way I wouldn't have a good income is if I became disabled (for the most part), and at the point I wouldn't have issues getting diapers. If it was just a gainful employment issues, I have my way around it for spare cash, as I have a quite a few desirable trade skills and options always available to me. I won't get into details of all of it, but I am a very crafty Unicorn in many ways.

No I have a family. I can speak from experience. Diapers were only bought on rate occasions, taking care of the family came first.

No. I like diapers, but they're not a necessity on my end. Bills and necessities first always.

Reactions: Furrytum, SpankyUnicorn and ShyBoo81
I've been low income before and I wouldn't say I prioritized diapers, but I had cut back on wearing recreationally and only used the one I kinda need at night. Everything else was priority, recreational diapers were the one thing I did to spoil myself at that time. I even picked them over computer parts sometimes!

I bought my diapers from Goodwill when they had them in stock ... Even at GoodWill's low prices, it cost me a lot of money relative to my income - I had no choice.

Last edited:
when i first started buying diapers, i without a doubt spent more than i should have with how much i was making, but i seem to have it under control now

Reactions: KrankyPants
Depends (no pun intended) on your existential situation and if you can afford to spare less on something else. It's different if you have a family or you live with SO. One thing is to buy e.g. less soda and sugary drinks or shop in discount or second hands to save money (so you can buy diapers), another thing is if you already barely afford the rent and food...

There was a time in my life that I didn't have much money but still loved to wear diapers and rubber pants so I just wore cloth diapers. They more or less last forever, my rubber pants eventually tear or crack, but still not all that expensive, especially when long ago I could still fit in to the large toddle sized baby pants. Of course I still wear only cloth diapers and rubber pants decades later but not because of costs, just because they are the only diapers I love and get off on when I go potty,

Last edited:
I am an occasional diaper wearer so my use would decrease if my income decreases. I may purchase a bag of diapers once in a while as a special gift to myself.

I think I’d be more concerned with getting comfortable before I would be buying nonessentials unless they were necessary.

Little stuff is really the only place I spend extra money. I don't spend much on other things beyond necessities, so that sort of makes it okay to me. It's my "hobby" so to speak.

I also couldn't live without diapers, so I'd have to have something to fill that void. For me, if I had limited money, I'd stick mostly to cloth diapers, but I'm not IC, I don't wet cloth diapers frequently and poop even less, and I have easy access to use a washing machine.

Now if it came down to something like choosing between food and diapers or housing and diapers, I'd obviously go with the necessities, the food and housing.

So basically take care of your living essentials (needs) first and take care of your wants according to your priorities and what your situation allows. And if your situation doesn't allow some things, you'll have to makeshift or do without.

When I was younger, I used paper towels or blankets as makeshift diapers. Towels are a good option. And I used plastic bags as makeshift plastic pants, but they sure are noisy and don't necessarily seal 100%.

Last edited:
No I wouldn't wet and messy play can be done in clothing. Laundry needs to be washed anyway. And if I wasnt IC, diapers would not be a priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: Furrytum
Don't. Don't do this, this is getting into telling y'all too much about me but I've been there and I 'have the t-shirt'
aka I wish I'd not been so needful of nappies
...and that's all I'm okay with saying.
-
BW

I am low income and I still get my diapers every month more than enough. I have to use the Medicaid ones but I'm IC urinary. I asked my dr to write for extra diapers a day to last because the Medicaid diapers are so low quality. Then she also writes for boosters. It works good enough for me.

I am low income. I can confirm i save enough money for diapers. It takes several months. But I save over several months so it doesnt hit so hard

Back