If ABDL was a recognized mental disorder in the DSM would you tell more people you're ABDL?

If ABDL was a recognized mental disorder in the DSM would you tell more people you're ABDL?

• Total voters

DiaperedTeddyBear

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
This question is for ABDLs that mostly keep their diaper wearing a secret. If ABDL was considered a legitimate mental disorder and listed in the DSM & ICD, would you tell more people that you're ABDL and you wear diapers? If yes, who would you tell?

I hate the way we're portrayed in the media and how most people think we're sickos and perverts. I have to wonder if people would stop treating ABDL as a character flaw and instead feel sorry for us if we were seen as having a mental disorder.

If ABDL was considered a mental disorder, how do you think the public's attitude would change towards us? Would we be accepted and supported like autistic people are? Or would ABDL be one of the more stigmatized mental disorders and people would still be prejudiced against us?

Reactions: Wolfman69
My question would be why do people have to know?
We as a society don't generally share what we do behind our bedroom door.

Sure abdl gets portrayed negatively by some
but so does foot fetish or furries etc etc

Enjoy your abdl time your self and don't worry what others think. There is no need to tell them. Being listed as a disorder won't help anything.

Reactions: Dragonkindred, LittleTyke, Luvshugs and 16 others
SparkyDog said:
My question would be why do people have to know?
They don't, but it's very isolating to keep it a secret all the time. I wouldn't want to tell my friends or family, but I'd really like to have some ABDL friends IRL. What keeps me from doing that is the fear of having my secret exposed to family and friends.

I would hope that if ABDL was considered a disorder, people would be more sympathetic and realize that it's not something I chose. I wouldn't go around telling everyone, but I'd be less afraid for people to find out.

Reactions: Ardox7
Technically ABDL could already be classified as a mental disorder under the DSM-V as a fetishistic disorder. But it can only be classified under that if it causes social or occupational impairments.

Was reading that ABDL has also been classified under the DSM-IV as a Sexual Masochistic Disorder in the past.

If you want to make something clinical you can.

I don't think it is helpful to medicalize kinks and fetishes. I can even forsee some instances where in a hypothetical society where ABDL was seen as a mental disorder that it could create more shame and distress in individuals that ABDL was not causing social distress or occupational problems in the first place.

As a nuerodiverse person, i like to approach mental disorders from a biopsychosocial model, which is a wholistic model of health. It takes into account your environment, social landscape, as well as mental health. In this model something like ABDL could be looked at as arising for various reasons and doesn't immediately give one the thought that something needs to be "fixed" to bring it closer to the norm.

In contrast to a medical model of mental health which if ABDL were classified as a mental disorder specifically it'd be perceived as having some medical and correctable origen. And could be perceived as a deviantion from the norm that needs to be addressed to bring it closer to that norm.

Reactions: BBBen, Cottontail, michaelmc and 2 others
Not just no, but H-E- double hockey sticks no! Regardless of whether it is in the DSM, from what I've seen, the general public thinks ABDL is a mental illness and has a very low opinion of us. I do have diagnosed depression and anxiety, and even mentioning those has led people to give me some serious side eye.

I understand wanting to be more open about this stuff and longing for acceptance, but our society just isn't at that point and, mental illness or not, the stigma that surrounds ABDL is enough to keep me in the diaper closet.

Reactions: Luvshugs, Ardox7, michaelmc and 1 other person
I'm accepting of my ABDL side knowing that it isn't a disorder. I'd personally hate to be told otherwise.

Reactions: LittleTyke, michaelmc, mistykitty and 1 other person
flickpuppy said:
Technically ABDL could already be classified as a mental disorder under the DSM-V as a fetishistic disorder. But it can only be classified under that if it causes social or occupational impairments.

Was reading that ABDL has also been classified under the DSM-IV as a Sexual Masochistic Disorder in the past.
There are a large number of non-sexual ABDLs for whom it wouldn't be considered a fetish. And regardless of our ABDL experience as adults, it seems like for most of us it started out in childhood so I think it would be better classified as a developmental disorder, which is why I used autism as an example. There are also some elements of OCD and dissociation too.

Cashew said:
I'm accepting of my ABDL side knowing that it isn't a disorder. I'd personally hate to be told otherwise.
I see ABDL similar to how I see my autism. It's not normal, it causes some problems, and it can't be fixed, but there are a lot of good things about it too.

killahB said:
I understand wanting to be more open about this stuff and longing for acceptance, but our society just isn't at that point and, mental illness or not, the stigma that surrounds ABDL is enough to keep me in the diaper closet.
There's been a lot of stigma around autistic people in the past too, but that has been slowly changing. I don't expect ABDL will ever get the kind of acceptance autism does, but I hope one day we don't feel like we have to hide in the shadows.

Reactions: Marting and killahB
I really take issue with this question as it assumes that being ABDL is somehow “disordered” or something “wrong” with me. It is not a disorder and would not view it as such. It’s a very medicalised view which I find very disempowering and hurtful that it would be construed in that way. Not everything has to be a disorder and there needs to be an understanding that as humans, we’re all different and just because something is out of the ordinary doesn’t make us somehow wrong or in need of treatment. Just because something is listed as a disorder doesn’t mean people are instantly accepted or don’t face stigma.

On the point about sharing it with people, it’s not something that needs to be broadcast at all. For example, I’m happy and confident with my ABDL side, but it’s a sensitive delicate part of myself that only very few people who understand what being ABDL is like know about. I’d have to ask why you want other people to know and what benefit you hope to gain from it? Like others have said, it’s something that you can enjoy either by yourself or with other ABDLs who share that understanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyInNappies, LittleTyke, Luvshugs and 3 others
blissfullyquirky said:
This question is for ABDLs that mostly keep their diaper wearing a secret. If ABDL was considered a legitimate mental disorder and listed in the DSM & ICD, would you tell more people that you're ABDL and you wear diapers? If yes, who would you tell?

I hate the way we're portrayed in the media and how most people think we're sickos and perverts. I have to wonder if people would stop treating ABDL as a character flaw and instead feel sorry for us if we were seen as having a mental disorder.

If ABDL was considered a mental disorder, how do you think the public's attitude would change towards us? Would we be accepted and supported like autistic people are? Or would ABDL be one of the more stigmatized mental disorders and people would still be prejudiced against us?
Not one, but no it wouldn't change, if I hate to say the most stigmatized mental illnesses are personality disorders and paraphilic disorders. I don't know if it would make it worse but it wouldn't help

Reactions: LittleTyke, Demonbabywearspamps and moorey
I put unsure but I'm leaning more towards no. It's not something that everyone needs to be aware of and also I don't feel that it's a disorder. Personally, I don't want it in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cottontail, Cashew, killahB and 1 other person
blissfullyquirky said:
There are a large number of non-sexual ABDLs for whom it wouldn't be considered a fetish. And regardless of our ABDL experience as adults, it seems like for most of us it started out in childhood so I think it would be better classified as a developmental disorder, which is why I used autism as an example. There are also some elements of OCD and dissociation too.

I see ABDL similar to how I see my autism. It's not normal, it causes some problems, and it can't be fixed, but there are a lot of good things about it too.

There's been a lot of stigma around autistic people in the past too, but that has been slowly changing. I don't expect ABDL will ever get the kind of acceptance autism does, but I hope one day we don't feel like we have to hide in the shadows.
You mean age regression? People that non sexually do abdl are age regressors. Whether it's trauma based or just something they do for fun depends. Age regression is a symptom of a trauma disorder tho if it's involuntary.

Reactions: DreamyDoodleBug
To answer the question. No. That'd make it worse. People already view mental illness as something that needs to be fixed or worse erased. I'd rather not have people trying to "cute" abdls because it's classified as a mental disorder.

Reactions: LittleTyke and killahB
Anything in the dsm has the stigma attached that it needs to be cured in somone. If abdl were in the dsm it would lead to a bunch of people trying to cure us of something that is not understood well but seen as mentally abnormal.

blissfullyquirky said:

Very true, the AB aspect of ABDL is exclusively asexual for me too. It's interesting cause, whether non-sexual ABDL would be classified a fetishistic disorder or something else, it seems like the medical model of psychology can go down these rabbit holes pathologizing different specterums of human behavior.

I like to view my ADHD and even Anxiety and Depression through a more social or wholistic model of psychology and health. Where my ADHD in a world not requiring intense focus, time management, etc wouldn't be seen as a disorder, but rather just a way people can be. That's not to say ADHD doesn't exist, which a lot of people jump to with critiques of the medical model. But that ADHD is a disordered way of existing with the mordern expectations of time management, focus, etc, so it only needs a term so psychologists and doctors know what to look for and "fix."

Having labels like ADHD or Depression can help bring awareness to the variety of nuero-diversity, but don't think that pathologizing is necessary to bring awareness to the varieties of nuero-diversity or the varities of human behaviors like an interest in ABDL.

It feels like that at the root of this poll is the idea that if ABDL were to be medicalized by being made a mental disorder that it would somehow be admissible or acceptable. Because we as ABDL folks just couldn't help it due to it being a mental disorder. Which in turn would bring about a public acceptance of ABDL as just another mental illness.

Building a compassionate society that asks why when they see new and different ways of being is likely the best way to get ABDL to be something accepted in the public consciousness. But think medicalizing more things is almost narrowing what is considered acceptable and normal within the culture at large.

Reactions: DiaperedTeddyBear and mistykitty
I wish that some time down the road that it would be considered as a serious Mental Health disorder or just a regular disorder (like that of Autism, bi-polar, anxiety, etc....) Even though as people (we) who are in this ABDL lifestyle it would be nice to see us being accepted by others (who are not ABDL) as accepted by our communities in the public. However, on the other hand I do believe that some of us who are ABDL have had some sort of serious trauma as a child or as a teenager when it comes to whatever the trauma may have been, that by regressing and having that ABDL lifestyle in our lives makes us feel comfortable and it helps us to have something like (diapers, etc...) to escape those terrible memories of our past. Because in all honesty. When a person regresses into our/your ABDL side it's very comforting and safe. For me I have 2 sides as to why I'm ABDL. 1.) I have had sexual trauma as a child (person from church as a child and a babysitter when I was a child.) I was sexually abused by someone from church as a child. Then when I was 10. I had a babysitter who forced me into diapers a lot and paid me money as she found it sexual to her. As a teenager I always loved the wearing of diapers and never stopped stealing them from neighbors. When I got older I found out that I have depression, anxiety, and bi-polar disorder due to my ex-wife who abused me mentally because of my disabilities. And I had to find out something that wasn't drugs or alcohol to help me soothe. And becoming ABDL was my safe place. Whenever I had to go to the mental unit of the hospital my ex-wife made sure she packed my size 7 diapers with the paramedics in the ambulance and told them he must wear these day and night at the hospital. So in the hospital they put me in the crappy hospital adult diapers day and night. When I got a divorce in 2010, I still deal with depression, anxiety, and bi-polar disorder and in 2011 I found my eternal companion. And I had to hide my adult diapers from her so that she didn't know. It wasn't until 2014 when we had a traumatic experience in our life where she found my stash and found me in a diaper. She questioned it and then realized that it's a lot better than abusing drugs or alcohol or Marijuana. Because of the seriousness of the traumatic experience I had to go to the mental unit again for another suicide attempt. But my wife was very supportive and still loved me. When I was being transported to the hospital, my wife had a bag full of my Tranquility XL ATN diapers and told them that this should help him to be calm (since I always hated being in the hospital) and that I needed to be diapered 24/7. Wearing diapers helped me to get through the weeks and it was nice that they changed me when I was wet and messy. Well when I got out of the hospital, I was at work as a Cowboy in 2015 I suffered a severe lower back injury causing me to have both bowel and urinary incontinence. So now diapers are my life. But I also still deal with depression, anxiety, and bi-polar disorder and whenever I'm experiencing those disorders at times I'm glad that my 24/7 365 diaper wearing along with me wearing a footed and hooded fleece adult onesie and pop in my pacifier calms me down. So that's my story. I feel that yes, being ABDL should be considered as part of mental health, but not as a disorder. It should be accepted as a way and a healthy way (instead of abusing drugs and alcohol) as a way to cope with whatever we may or may not have experienced in our past. But I do believe that as ABDL's there has been some sort of traumatic experiences in our lives. So yes for many of us it is considered part of our mental health. And it would be nice at some time the rest of the world can consider this as a healthy alternative for individuals like us.

Reactions: DiaperedTeddyBear
It would be war for me, autonomous weapons and all to guarantee my bodily autonomy and property rights. There are serious implications with personal liberties and human rights being permanently revoked when someone is considered to have a mental disorder. Are we saying that someone who likes wearing cute clothes shouldn't have guns, security clearance, respectable career etc for the rest of their life? Oh hell no! Slinging that mental disorder label around has serious life ending implications for the accused and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Which brings up another topic about how BS it is that people who do have issues and want help cant get it without throwing their rights away for life. That needs to end. That mental disorder flag on your record for seeking voluntarily health care brands you for life and it shouldn't be that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: DL85, Cottontail, Cashew and 2 others
flickpuppy said:
Very true, the AB aspect of ABDL is exclusively asexual for me too. It's interesting cause, whether non-sexual ABDL would be classified a fetishistic disorder or something else, it seems like the medical model of psychology can go down these rabbit holes pathologizing different specterums of human behavior.

I like to view my ADHD and even Anxiety and Depression through a more social or wholistic model of psychology and health. Where my ADHD in a world not requiring intense focus, time management, etc wouldn't be seen as a disorder, but rather just a way people can be. That's not to say ADHD doesn't exist, which a lot of people jump to with critiques of the medical model. But that ADHD is a disordered way of existing with the mordern expectations of time management, focus, etc, so it only needs a term so psychologists and doctors know what to look for and "fix."

Having labels like ADHD or Depression can help bring awareness to the variety of nuero-diversity, but don't think that pathologizing is necessary to bring awareness to the varieties of nuero-diversity or the varities of human behaviors like an interest in ABDL.

It feels like that at the root of this poll is the idea that if ABDL were to be medicalized by being made a mental disorder that it would somehow be admissible or acceptable. Because we as ABDL folks just couldn't help it due to it being a mental disorder. Which in turn would bring about a public acceptance of ABDL as just another mental illness.

Building a compassionate society that asks why when they see new and different ways of being is likely the best way to get ABDL to be something accepted in the public consciousness. But think medicalizing more things is almost narrowing what is considered acceptable and normal within the culture at large.
Very well put, I kind of prefer to look from this kind of angle as well.

Reactions: flickpuppy
LittleAndAlone said:
It would be war for me, autonomous weapons and all to guarantee my bodily autonomy and property rights. There are serious implications with personal liberties and human rights being permanently revoked when someone is considered to have a mental disorder. Are we saying that someone who likes wearing cute clothes shouldn't have guns, security clearance, respectable career etc? Oh hell no!
Blunt but accurate example

Last edited:
mistykitty said:
Very well put, I kind of prefer to look from this kind of angle as well.
Thanks!

I really like looking at stuff in a more wholistic lens cause it just seems more compassionate and comprehensive.

Reactions: mistykitty
flickpuppy said:
Thanks!

I really like looking at stuff in a more wholistic lens cause it just seems more compassionate and comprehensive.
You're welcome! Are you my twin maybe then? Because I feel the exact same way which is why I always try to adopt that style of approach.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: flickpuppy
Back