How wide in the crotch for typical L to XL disposable diapers?

CrossfireHurricane

longtime complete incontinent
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
How wide in the crotch for a typical L or XL disposable diapers? I ask is that when I go to sleep I like to use a really good booster. I usually wear a large Abena with a 7" crotch. .I guess they're okay but I get more leaks when using a larger booster. If only they make a larger wide crotch. I even tried BetterDry. The crotch has the same 7" crotch. Does anyone know who makes a wider crotch for any disposable diaper?

• Thinking
Reactions: AttilaThePun
Agree. I have had leaks with a booster wearing and Abena M4.

• Thinking
Babybub said:
Agree. I have had leaks with a booster wearing and Abena M4.
Exactly. During the day it isn't a problem. But for sleeping, where discreet isn't an issue for wearing a heavy booster, a wider diaper (crotch) would be fine (and comfortable) even if I use a thicker diaper. It looks like 7" is the normal. I know I usually wear plastic pants but I still get leaks. Does anyone who knows about perhaps a wider crotch diaper. 9"+ would be great. I'm not a small guy (large or XL).

Last edited:
CrossfireHurricane said:
Exactly. During the day it isn't a problem. But for sleeping, where discreet isn't an issue for wearing a heavy booster, a wider diaper (crotch) would be fine (and comfortable) even if I use a thicker diaper. It looks like 7" is the normal. I know I usually wear plastic pants but I still get leaks. Does anyone who knows about perhaps a wider crotch diaper. 9"+ would be great. I'm not a small guy (large or XL).
Is the crotch width definitely the problem, or is the booster thickness surpassing the height of the leak guards? 🤔

This review gives a padded-area measurement at middle width of 7.9", perhaps that might help a bit?

Reactions: Saturatedandsodden25
Ask yourself why you are getting more leaks with a larger booster when one would expect the opposite. It is counterintuitive, but consider downsizing your booster pad one level. Your large booster pad may be allowing urine to flow over the leak guards and then against the leg gathers. A smaller (narrower) booster will leave room on each side of the booster pad to act as a gutter and also allow the urine to better come in contact with the diaper's own absorbent mat for improved absorption.

--John

Reactions: AttilaThePun and greatlake5
AttilaThePun said:

This review gives a padded-area measurement at middle width of 7.9", perhaps that might help a bit?
To be honest I've never really felt any of the differences. I've been wearing a diaper since I can ever remember. I still have a few cases of Confidry 24/7. You got me curious so I measured the widths between Abena, BetterDry and Confidry. They'er about the same ~ 7". I'm not sure a wider width would be helpful. I'm a pretty heavy wetter and I use a NS Eternadry countour booster "doubler". When I get up in the morning I rarely leak. Though my plastic pants are often wet inside (I always use a good bed pad - minimal leaks). As noted by the OP, a 9"+ width crotch might help. But for me it's not a "got to have."

Possibly the reason crotch widths aren't wider is that they have to fit women too, who don't have 'junk' to accommodate. For them a narrower but more padded crotch might be more appropriate but without making diapers for each sex, they have to accommodate both in one product. (Baby diaper manufacturers tried boy and girl diapers some years ago; the experiment failed and they went back to unisex.)

HumanFly said:
Possibly the reason crotch widths aren't wider is that they have to fit women too, who don't have 'junk' to accommodate. For them a narrower but more padded crotch might be more appropriate but without making diapers for each sex, they have to accommodate both in one product. (Baby diaper manufacturers tried boy and girl diapers some years ago; the experiment failed and they went back to unisex.)
Applying the disposable diaper with, say, the absence or presence of a v-shaped fold down the middle and/or a bit of a pocket up front, a skilled practitioner of origami can customize for anatomy. 😁
This may also promote flood management and make more use of the entire diaper.

Back