How were you less developed and more babyish than other kids?

As a young kid I was probably more mature then my counterparts although I did have an imaginary friend until the secondary school (I didn’t have many real friends) but as I got older I found out that some things that still held a special place for me my friends had moved on from while they were playing GTA (underage I may add) and Assassins Creed I was playing the Sims and Settlers, while they were watching films like Die Hard and The Tournament I was still watching Disney and for TV it was the same Skins and Big Bang Theory for them I preferred what CBBC and children’s shows on YouTube had to offer. At 32 I still love Disney and children’s tv and although my taste in Video Games has matured things like the Sims and Settlers I still play. It’s ironic in a way as my body appeared to mature my tastes appeared to become more infantile. Thankfully I can pass this off as nostalgia and no one questions it!

Reactions: dogboy
I was not exposed to children until 1st grade , no kindergarten and that realllly made me very babyish . I had to go through 1st grade twice . I was in diapers through 2nd grade 🤦🏻‍♂️

i am autistic and was in special needs school as a kid and was in diapers 24/7 all the way trough school matter of fact still am used pacifiers for sensory regulation all the way untill i was 15 and was changed by a adult untill i was 18 was just not cabable of doing it myself

Reactions: Freddie07601
BuddyBoy said:
You felt a little weird but you accepted it, did you not..?
True, I did. Truthfully, I probably liked all their attention more than I should have. Plus wearing diapers and rubber pants around our home felt nice most of the time.

LittleAndAlone said:
Opposite. Was always way too mature and serious and several grade levels above. I think I didn't know how to be a kid the first time and it's why I get to be little now. 🤣
That is my situation, too! I was a savant as a teenager, heck, I even taught electronics class in my high school cuz I knew much more than the shop teacher who was ‘teaching’ the class. I know, now, that my overachieving “savantness” was mostly due to my aspergers & social anxiety (back then, diagnosing kids with either one wasn’t a thing). Graduated HS in ‘79.

I grew up too fast & didn’t like being a kid…how I regret that!!! Now that I’m retired, I’m making up for lost time!🤣😳🤣

My kids & teenage grandson jokingly say, often, that I’m a kid forced to live in an adult body…and I think they’re right!!!

Last edited:
BuddyBoy said:
Lyric, you and I have been on the same page more than once. I wet my pants riding the bus home with my mother. After that it was full protection when we went to town. My sense of security outweighed my self-consciousness.
Did you have to wear diapers when you went to the movies? That was one time when I was afraid someone I knew would notice I had diapers and rubber pants on. My mother wouldn't let me go to the movies unless I was diapered, even in my teens.

MetalDan86 said:
I struggled with a lot of sensory issues at a young age from being on the autism spectrum. Having some trouble with color identification, speech, hypersensitivity to scoreboard buzzers in gym, and echolalia (repeating words) really put me aside from the rest of my peers, though with time and therapy I did see improvement. No issues with potty training, but I did sleep with a childhood blanket well into my early teens. Fantasizing on wearing diapers was a recurring dream that stuck with me till my college years when I bought my first pack of Bambino Classicos. The rest is history.
Hey….Bambino Classico’s, with the all over print, is my goto disposable diaper! I have a couple cases that I bought when they had a BOGO sale earlier this year….but my preferred diaper is cloth.

Reactions: MetalDan86 and Lyric
justmeP said:
Bedtime was always about 8 pm an I hated it because my other siblings got to stay up later. I guess I never got over it because I am sitting here in a sopping wet and messy diaper from last night I never got over needing a wife/mommy to put me to bed.

Why did you get put to bed so early?

Halibut said:
Why did you get put to bed so early?
I never really thought about it, but I suppose it's because she saw me more as a baby or toddler than an growing kid. It just sort of cemented my position in the family

Reactions: AJFan2020
justmeP said:
I never really thought about it, but I suppose it's because she saw me more as a baby or toddler than an growing kid. It just sort of cemented my position in the family
I had an 8:00 bed time through-out childhood and into my teens, but by the time I was diapered and had a story read to me it was closer to 9:00 when I was "tucked in".

So for my I know I watched little kids shows a lot longer then other kids. Like I was in 5th grade and still enjoyed Land Before time. Though to be honest I have never actually stopped like little kid shows. Like others have mentioned I also got helped getting dressed. It was not an everyday thing but if I was lazy or being slow my mom would get me dressed. I was never embraced about it until a middle school teacher was getting on me for not being more responsible and said something to the effect "does you mom still get you dressed." He had no idea but I was embarrassing thinking "um yes, sometimes."

• Haha
Reactions: dogboy and Halibut
I began reading and writing and learning French at a very young age, maybe when I was about 3 or 4 years old and got into reading encyclopedias when I was 5 and got into computers when I was 6, yet I struggled with tying my shoes until I was 8.

When I was 9, I was learning cursive, but didn't truly get the knack of it until I was 14.

oreobaby89 said:
So for my I know I watched little kids shows a lot longer then other kids. Like I was in 5th grade and still enjoyed Land Before time. Though to be honest I have never actually stopped like little kid shows. Like others have mentioned I also got helped getting dressed. It was not an everyday thing but if I was lazy or being slow my mom would get me dressed. I was never embraced about it until a middle school teacher was getting on me for not being more responsible and said something to the effect "does you mom still get you dressed." He had no idea but I was embarrassing thinking "um yes, sometimes."
self-consciousness with little kid shows hit me hard, I dropped the preschool stuff halfway through first grade. and for a brief period in middle school, I couldn't watch kids' cartoons either until my brony phase freshman year.

Sidewinder said:
I began reading and writing and learning French at a very young age, maybe when I was about 3 or 4 years old and got into reading encyclopedias when I was 5 and got into computers when I was 6, yet I struggled with tying my shoes until I was 8.

When I was 9, I was learning cursive, but didn't truly get the knack of it until I was 14.
Did your parents ever hit you with 'your mind is too focused on smart things' or something like that

Halibut said:
Did your parents ever hit you with 'your mind is too focused on smart things' or something like that?
No, they were very supportive of my intellectual growth.

Last edited:
Sidewinder said:
No, they were very supportive of my intellectual growth.
good for them
although I must admit I phrased the question wrong

what I meant to ask, was If your parents ever excused the shoe-tying as something unimportant? going as far as to equate a lack of shoe-tying skills with your advanced intellectual abilities in other areas as if it was some sort of mild savant syndrome. Even if it was just a teasing/reassuring manner?

Halibut said:
good for them
although I must admit I phrased the question wrong

what I meant to ask, was If your parents ever excused the shoe-tying as something unimportant? going as far as to equate a lack of shoe-tying skills with your advanced intellectual abilities in other areas as if it was some sort of mild savant syndrome. Even if it was just a teasing/reassuring manner?
They never excused it as something unimportant, nor did they tease me about it.

I also have autism and also was born with a cleft pallet and had to go to a special needs school or in special education classes when my family moved to a smaller school district. I had to bring and wear diapers to school until the 1st grade when I was 6 years old. After that I had to wear pull-ups during the day because I had frequent wetting problems. I also had to wear clothes with elastic so that I could easily them take down. I had speech therapy because I couldn't say my Rs right and I still do have problems with it. I also had therapy for my hand writing and my hand/ eye cordnation. I'd rather watch Disney movies over scary movies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halibut, DinoFrant and Sidewinder
Babybear2006 said:
I also have autism and also was born with a cleft pallet and had to go to a special needs school or in special education classes when my family moved to a smaller school district. I had to bring and wear diapers to school until the 1st grade when I was 6 years old. After that I had to wear pull-ups during the day because I had frequent wetting problems. I also had to wear clothes with elastic so that I could easily them take down. I had speech therapy because I couldn't say my Rs right and I still do have problems with it. I also had therapy for my hand writing and my hand/ eye cordnation. I'd rather watch Disney movies over scary movies.

That's a whole lot more than most people... I want to know how you felt about all of it... and how you feel about it now.

Back