How urgent is it to wash leaked clothing?

Arkady

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
I'm wondering whether a very small leak (will dry in like an hour and is quarter-sized) on some clothing can be left in the hamper to be washed a few days later? I know that urine decays to ammonia and ammonia breaks down skin. But, does it break down clothing fibers as well? I don't have much dirty laundry at the moment so, using the community laundromat would be kind of expensive ($1.25 for a wash).

You'll probably be fine fine for a week or so as long as the spot is dry. Beyond that, it might become disgusting. Also, ammonia can have a bleaching effect when left for a long time, but it'll probably be fine on a weekly laundry cycle. Sometimes peed-in clothes can have a pungent aroma though.

Reactions: KrankyPants, Arkady, nwm and 1 other person
Ok, a little off topic perhaps, but wow, only 1,25$ for a wash cycle, you're pretty lucky, around here there's no laundromat under 3,00$ a wash the machines are heavy duty and can accommodate I would say double the content of a standard one, and its then 0,75$ for 5 minutes of drying time, but the dryers are huge, I can fit 3 washing machine content in it and it still has space and it does the job so quickly.

Reactions: checkingoutall, Arkady, nwm and 1 other person
Other than MAYBE an odor, I wouldn't worry about it too much,
Though if you are going to wait, you might at least want to air-dry it (drape over shower curtain rod, something.)
But the cost....Well that is actually VERY cheap as pointed out.
(It's been YEATS since I used anything other than my own machines, and then I was paying WAY more than you are!)

Reactions: Arkady
Ya, I gotta agree, $1.25 is pretty cheap.
But anyways, if you want/need to wait to do laundry then maybe rinse them off in the shower, and hang dry, then toss in the hamper till wash day. Cause a quart, is like, a lot.

Reactions: JOCKMAN and Arkady
If your worried about break down just get some laundry stain remover and spray the area, you can rinse it also it you like then air dry, I occasionally get a leak into a sleeper or onesie, I treat the area with some shout stain remover then pop it in the washing machine with other clothes. There's 2 of us here though, so laundry is a never ending cycle.

from experience i can tell you that if u wanna wash a few days later like 24h+ u can just rinse that small spot with water to at least “pre wash” it a bit and get it out. it just dry in a few hours and can wait for the actual wash way longer that way

Thanks everyone! Sounds like it’s not a big deal and I learned that I have a cheap wash! Wow, $3 for a wash is pretty ridiculous.

MandyBear said:
But anyways, if you want/need to wait to do laundry then maybe rinse them off in the shower, and hang dry, then toss in the hamper till wash day. Cause a quart, is like, a lot.
Quarter sized like the coin! Not a quart! I’m pretty sure my bladder can’t hold a quart XD!

Baby clothes get peed in (and worse) all the time. As everyone else is saying, it's really not a big deal to leave a little pee spot until the next time you do laundry.

Reactions: KrankyPants and Arkady
tobid03 said:
You'll probably be fine fine for a week or so as long as the spot is dry. Beyond that, it might become disgusting. Also, ammonia can have a bleaching effect when left for a long time, but it'll probably be fine on a weekly laundry cycle. Sometimes peed-in clothes can have a pungent aroma though.
I have 8 cloth diapers now with thick boosters for each one. Every morning I rinse them and the plastic pants I wore out very well in my tub, wrong them out the best I can then take a shower. Then I hang the somewhere where they won't be seen powder down and pin on a clean,dry diaper. Blue jeans are optional. I used to just let them dry in the basket until I started waking up with a totally soaked diaper. Which has been every morning for well over a week now. That's the only reason I rinse the one I wore to bed every morning so well.

sinceiwassmall said:
Baby clothes get peed in (and worse) all the time. As everyone else is saying, it's really not a big deal to leave a little pee spot until the next time you do laundry.
My diapers hardly have a dry spot in them though. Don't want to smell my pee for a week. It would take over a week for the first diaper to dry in an open air basket.

Arkady said:
Thanks everyone! Sounds like it’s not a big deal and I learned that I have a cheap wash! Wow, $3 for a wash is pretty ridiculous.

Quarter sized like the coin! Not a quart! I’m pretty sure my bladder can’t hold a quart XD!
I think that my bladder can hold 2 quarts. I make the wettest diapers that I've ever seen. No kidding.

MandyBear said:
Just what I do every morning.

I have small pee spots with my training underwear beneath my pp about 2 - 4 times per year. I just rinse both in warm water at the spot and let air dry. A the end of the week they go with the regular clothes being washed and dry. My pp (PULs) are hand washed later and either blow dry on a slightly warm setting or air dry for a day or two above a heater grate (about 4 feet above it).

A quarter size wet spot is hardly worth mentioning in my opinion. You will be fine. To be honest if the pants did not need washing otherwise I would not even wash them.

Reactions: KrankyPants
I’ve never noticed an issue with clothing/bedding I’ve had a nappy leak in and washed some time later... guess some people might be particularly sensitive to the smell if it does persist at all, though, so perhaps would be cautious with any “good” clothes you do it in.

It'll be fine. If you're worried, rinse the spot out with hand soap.
A tiny quarter sized spot probably won't cause much of a smell, but it may discolor your clothes at the very worst.

Reactions: littledub1955
my worst problem with leaving clothes that have wet spots is that they get a smell that is extremely difficult to remove

i have learned though that it that does happen white vinegar helps a ton

See my related post on "What diaper are you wearing" where I reference I leak I just had.

As for smell, your urine strength has a lot to do with it. If your urine is clear, there isn't as much of a smell compared to urine that is darker yellow. If you are concerned about smell, you could always get some laundry precleaner and spray on the spot before putting it in the hamper.

Back