How much interest in games is "too much"?

CutieProtector

Sir Diaper Knight, Defender of Babyfurs!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Diaperfur
Sorry if my title didn't make sense; I'll explain what I mean.

It feels like the only thing I look forward to is playing video games or board games. I don't get much pleasure out of doing other types of activities. I don't watch TV much and can't think of any shows I look forward to watching. I don't like traveling because I get anxious going out, esp. when I have to plan for a big trip. I don't enjoy exercise; I just feel tired after a workout, not happier. And I have little interest in socializing with people. I have a hard time describing what else I might want to do with other people besides play games.

But I get excited at the thought of getting to play more games. I have a huge backlog of video games in my collection I want to play thanks to Steam sales, free games and Xbox Game Pass. I like playing lots of different genres and exploring games with unique mechanics.

I don't know if my issue can be called an "addiction" or "obsession," so I avoided using those terms in this post's title. I manage to get my work done every day and take care of myself, though I could stand to do more exercise and make better meals for myself. I have a dog and I make sure to feed and walk them. So I'm not putting off important responsibilities. And I don't think I spend that many hours gaming compared to others. It doesn't seem like pure anhedonia because I can get pleasure out of games. I get pleasure from completing objectives in games, so I tend to prefer games that are more linear over games without a clear goal.

When people typically talk about too much games being bad for you, one reason they say a lot is because it keeps you from doing other things in your life. But I'm not sure what else I really want to be doing with my life. When I look back on my life, it feels like I haven't been interested in much else throughout my whole life, not just recently. I only recently discovered that I like babyfur/diaperfur art. I don't know how to take my interest further so that it's something more than just looking at art I like. Sometimes I wonder if this interest makes it harder for me to socialize, despite knowing there are communities of people who also like this type of art. Maybe I'm just very fixated on games and babyfur/diaperfur art in general. I can't tell how much of my experience is simply part of my autism. I'm not sure how much gaming is good for my mental health. I worry that playing games so much throughout childhood, instead of developing real skills or other passions, has made it harder to find pleasure in other things.

Is it really a big issue that I don't have interest in other activities? If I truly am okay the way I am, how do I convince others that I'm okay? If I really need to explore other things, how do I find other things that would interest me and then motivate myself to do those things? Adding to the last question, how do I push myself to socialize more when I'm not sure I want it? Lots of people say that people aren't meant to be alone, but it's hard to connect with others when I'd rather be playing games instead.

I feel it only ever is "to much" if it's negatively affecting you from living. Like if you are behind on bills and refuse to work more just to play a game, then you are playing to much.

I personally play games like everyday I'm not working, I don't get that much enjoyment out of other things either. Even if I want to travel it's never than more than like once a year for like a week.

Partying, drinking, and etc I could care less for lol

I am a artist so that is something else I do on the side I like but I only do digital.

I don't think you need to convince anyone, as long as you are happy who cares. Just find like minded people that play games as much as you do. A lot of my recent friends have been people I've meet or battled online and we've all started playing mmos. I meet them from conan exiles.

Reactions: KittyninjaW
I stopped playing games as a major activity about 10 years ago. Ever since then I've succeeded financially and professionally. Something to consider. Instead of playing games I tinkered around on pcs, programming, linux, etc. I managed to build something then turn it into a business. That freedom allowed me to go to college (in my 30's :( ) It also allowed me to explore more of my ABDL side. I mostly work but I try to do some ABDL stuff, some gaming, some hobby pc stuff, some tv/videos/youtube. I have no friends or social life, but I try to chat to people too. Not a great mix but if all you did was gaming it wouldn't be as diverse for opportunities.

Reactions: KittyninjaW
when you spend 5k+ a month on a single game

CutePrincess said:
when you spend 5k+ a month on a single game
What game do people do that with? That sounds insane!

If games are being prioritized more than real life, there is a real problem.
Example: games being more important than going to work.

Me personally, I normally burn out from playing very fast.
Most games I abandon after less than 3 total hours playtime.
My longest played games, I take several week breaks in between a few hours play time.

Saltedcaramel64 said:
What game do people do that with? That sounds insane!
i thought this was common knowledge...
it is a genre called gacha,
check these out:
I think i rather have a car at that point, not one game

Last edited:
The Gacha games I tend to avoid. I thought Pokemon Go would be a good way of getting some ecercise, but having to use real money when you don't have a gym conquered (which is most likely), you need a lot of items to catch Pokemon, and catch many of the same species to evolve just one (Eevee and Magikarp are tedious to evolve for different reasons). When something new runs away and then it takes days for another one to spawn. Later on, leveling up takes forever. Also having to pay to have more room in your inventory (only allowing 50 more items at a time). I don't have the money or patience for that. I stopped playing after 2 weeks.

I have collection of games. Many games I've never played. A lot of games I have on Steam I got on sale. Either I play through the game once or twice, or I get stuck somewhere in the game and move on to something else. But I still go to work everyday, keep up with my sites, and take care of my dog. I now have a backlog of games if I happen to lose my job & have trouble finding another one.

Hmm. While you bring up a good point about whether enjoying video games as much as you do is truly "harmless," particularly if you're keeping up with the rest of your life's responsibilities, I would question whether your free time (in this case, video game time) can be more productively spent. What will do with your mountain of video game knowledge and experience?

While it's certainly "okay" to stay at home and play games, and be excited about games, it's not the best use of anyone's potential. This is where it's easy to get into a trap of "I'm not hurting anyone, what's the problem?" The hurt isn't from doing something destructive, it's from lack of doing something constructive.

So while you reflect on this question, I would consider how you might better spend some of your video game time. Not all, but some.

Reactions: CutieProtector
Onesieman said:
The Gacha games I tend to avoid. I thought Pokemon Go would be a good way of getting some ecercise, but having to use real money when you don't have a gym conquered (which is most likely), you need a lot of items to catch Pokemon, and catch many of the same species to evolve just one (Eevee and Magikarp are tedious to evolve for different reasons). When something new runs away and then it takes days for another one to spawn. Later on, leveling up takes forever. Also having to pay to have more room in your inventory (only allowing 50 more items at a time). I don't have the money or patience for that. I stopped playing after 2 weeks.
sad isn't it?companies are too greedy now a days
NinjaPizza said:
Hmm. While you bring up a good point about whether enjoying video games as much as you do is truly "harmless," particularly if you're keeping up with the rest of your life's responsibilities, I would question whether your free time (in this case, video game time) can be more productively spent. What will do with your mountain of video game knowledge and experience?

While it's certainly "okay" to stay at home and play games, and be excited about games, it's not the best use of anyone's potential. This is where it's easy to get into a trap of "I'm not hurting anyone, what's the problem?" The hurt isn't from doing something destructive, it's from lack of doing something constructive.

So while you reflect on this question, I would consider how you might better spend some of your video game time. Not all, but some.
opportunity costs ya, its how much you hurt your self sort of speak

Back