How do you know you’re about to have an accident?

RandumFoxx

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I was curious (primarily from a male point of view) and nothing remotely similar to the question pops up on Google in a search, so here it goes, as it might help others be aware.

What signs do you have you look out for that something’s about to blow? I find myself doubling up on protection when I go on my hikes, since I know not all that waters going to come out as sweat. As someone who’s fully urinary IC that’s consistently streaming, the urges come on at random but give warning shots from time to time. Sometimes I feel my heart begin to race but not always.

• Love
Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, sledder23, Edgewater and 1 other person
As somebody with urinary urge IC I seldom know when Im about to have an accident. Usually once I feel the urge I have only seconds to get to a bathroom before nature takes its own course. There are situations that make it more likely though like when I get up from sitting or at home from lying down for a lengthy period of time.

Reactions: HappyCamper, Neroforte, sledder23 and 3 others
mikesecret said:
As somebody with urinary urge IC I seldom know when Im about to have an accident. Usually once I feel the urge I have only seconds to get to a bathroom before nature takes its own course. There are situations that make it more likely though like when I get up from sitting or at home from lying down for a lengthy period of time.
I have it the same way with the getting up from sitting or laying down, I thought that was only me and I have had a hard time explaining that to my urologist.

Often I can get a warning urge before final call or a sensation of something in my bladder region that I better react to or else the diaper is in use.
I also know being around running water will cause an accident.

Reactions: Neroforte, sledder23, 247 and 3 others
A warning would be nice. Make dealing with IC much easier.
Right now it's oh im currently having an accident. So 0 warning. Just a notification hey you just had an accident.

Reactions: HappyCamper, Neroforte, sledder23 and 1 other person
OnePiece said:
I have it the same way with the getting up from sitting or laying down, I thought that was only me and I have had a hard time explaining that to my urologist.

Often I can get a warning urge before final call or a sensation of something in my bladder region that I better react to or else the diaper is in use.
I also know being around running water will cause an accident.
There are a lot of us with these symptoms. If I have sat on a hard surface like a church pew or park bench, as soon as I stand up it opens the flood gates 😣.

Reactions: sledder23, Edgewater, OnePiece and 1 other person
I have almost no warning, at times I feel nothing!, just the diaper bulge starting to form slowly through out the day.

Reactions: HappyCamper, Neroforte, GoodnitesXL21 and 4 others
I have been slowly losing bladder control for about 3 years now and now, I do feel an urge, but I only get seconds of warning as well. And I usually only get the urge if I'm sitting, since I'm hunched over, putting extra pressure on all the piping. Standing up or walking around, I'll usually just feel my diaper getting wet. It comes out slowly, since I think having it come out fast usually requires some muscle control down there to "push down".
Also, laying down, I will sometimes get an urge warning, but again I think that's due to the position and biology.

Reactions: sledder23 and Edgewater
I have a combined dribble- an urge IC. The dribbling part (which is only a small amount, not 24/7, but very often) I cannot feel or control in any way. The urges I have 10-15 times over the day, 4-5 times in the night. During the day sometimes triggered (sound of running water, hands in water, sound of espresso machine, cold wind around the legs or many others), sometimes "out of the blue", sometimes after changing position. The urge comes up, gets stronger within seconds, sometimes if I try hard to hold in it either calms down or even get more into a painful cramp until I can't hold in any more. As I don't like to feel several times a day the pain of cramping bladder I usually release with the upcoming urge before it's getting painful unless I'm really very near to the bathroom...

Reactions: Lethdale, Babynie, 247 and 7 others
Mines normally no warning whatsoever hits hard and fast nothing can stop it till it’s over

Reactions: HappyCamper and Edgewater
I get no notice when I am about to pee my diaper and I get about 3 to 5 seconds in the form of a contraction when I am going to poop my diaper. There is no stopping the accidents from either side.

Reactions: HappyCamper, sledder23, Edgewater and 1 other person
Mine has changed a lot in the last years, at first there was a constant pain in my bladder rising up to the point i could not hold any longer, more for pain than for pressure, what urodynamics showed either. When i started with Botox and diet changes, the urge changed a lot, to very little warning and a hard punch in the end and now it is more like: "Oh, there is a little pressure" and "Damn, its already flowing".
I can not tell the reason for this, but it got much more unpredictable than before, but i am not unhappy with the pain relief coming with it.
I am not able to leave the house without diapers anyway, so less pain is better i think.

Reactions: daylight, sledder23, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
Bedwetter off and on my whole life. I have developed some leaking though during the day. Mainly right after I go or if I bend a certain way or pick up something heavy. Hopefully it doesn’t get worse. Not sure what caused it though.

Reactions: Edgewater
RandumFoxx said:
I was curious (primarily from a male point of view) and nothing remotely similar to the question pops up on Google in a search, so here it goes, as it might help others be aware.

What signs do you have you look out for that something’s about to blow? I find myself doubling up on protection when I go on my hikes, since I know not all that waters going to come out as sweat. As someone who’s fully urinary IC that’s consistently streaming, the urges come on at random but give warning shots from time to time. Sometimes I feel my heart begin to race but not always.
When I have 2 minutes or less to get to the bathroom? And if not I either say #$%^ or Piss either word happens..yepp..

Last edited by a moderator:
I will either get a really strong urge to wee shortly before having an urge accident or a weird feeling of instability (kind of like a muscle that should be tense wants to relax) in my bladder and/or pelvic floor for a smaller stress accident. Poo accidents are infrequent for me and generally involve illness. For those I have either had terrible urgency and have been unable to hold it or haven’t felt it come out at all.

Reactions: sledder23 and Edgewater
My IC started as a result of a car crash and the surgeries that followed. As a result, I have limited knowledge or forewarning of wetting. Some sensation anywhere from moments to someplace around a minute, if I am lucky. I do attempt to use the toilet when I am home as I believe in retaining whatever knowledge that I have of wetting. Incontinence has wide and varied sources and as you will see with time, what kind of notification one receives, if any varies as well!

The choice is yours, but I would recommend if you feel comfortable to list yourself as Incontinent. We are a smaller group, as part of ADISC and it is helpful in recognizing each other.

Reactions: Neroforte, sledder23 and bdale
If you're IC, you can't call it an "accident." More like anticipated event.

• Thinking
Reactions: sledder23, AttilaThePun, Edgewater and 2 others
when my bladder starts to hurt then i pee myself

oldpppants said:
If you're IC, you can't call it an "accident." More like anticipated event.
The sad reality of IC is that there is a vast number of causes, and as a result, what one feels is near as vast. The range starts from full awareness, but lack any ability to stop it - to fully unaware and only the additional weight of the diaper provides an indication that something has happened.

Reactions: sledder23, slimjiminy and newt
I sometimes have a very subtle localized pressure at the base of my bladder which I've learned means I ought to walk to the bathroom sooner rather than later. That doesn't mean I'll make it to the bathroom in time, though. Since I wear a diaper all the time these days, I only have to be concerned about volume vs capacity. Urinary IC only (at least for now).

Reactions: sledder23, 247 and Edgewater
RandumFoxx said:

Used to get the feeling my bladder was filling up and starting to get desperate - now the first thing I know is I am peeing in my diaper like a baby

Reactions: antoniorain789, Deleted member 74829, GoodnitesXL21 and 2 others
Back