How did the medical profession “introduce” you to diapers?

No medical professional ever explained anything to me, i had to learn by myself - and did a lot of failures.

I asked my family doctor about a prescription for diapers to get them over the insurance, that took several attempts until it worked somehow.
My insurance pays about 18 Euro a month and i am committed to pay 10% on top (1,80 Euro) - but that is only for basic care, my "special wishes", like getting a diaper that works more than one wetting i have to pay extra.

The provider for diapers over the insurance can give you some advice and also explains catheter and other stuff to you, for some problems they will send someone to you at your home to explain, but i never used that service. I got my information from sites like this one and YT. ;)

Last edited:
My life was severely altered after I had an accident while in the military. I was in and out of the hospital for the next six months having various surgeries. It was also during this time that I noticed two things, I was drinking 4-5 gallons of water or ice tea a day and actually starting to develop some incontinence both day and night. I kept thinking how embarrassing it would be to pee myself in front of all the cute therapists in the hospital, but then my primary nurse says to me, “you could wear diapers for a while, why we do some tests.” Those words sent a hot flush of embarrassment right through me, along with an intense excitement. While my embarrassment was screaming no way, my excitement made me say ok.

Even though my accident had altered areas of sensation in my body, within minutes of having my diaper put on by the cute nurse, I realized I was feeling that familiar intense sexual stimulation, which was something that I feared was gone forever. The soft padding touching my genitals was leaving me with a constant erection that was incredibly arousing inside of a soft crinkly plastic outer layer.

The first few days I was so self-conscious that I was scared to go to therapy. I was sure everyone would hear the crinkle of my diaper and see the bulk of the padding over my non-stop erections, but my therapists were so reassuring and comforting that my embarrassment soon faded.

The incontinence continued to worsen over the next few weeks and more tests were run when they finally diagnosed me with a chronic neurogenic bladder with related mixed urinary incontinence as the result of diabetes insipidus with polyuria and chronic bladder dilation.

Realizing this was going to be a lifelong medical issue, the doctors and nurses suggested that I try condom catheters or catheters to control the incontinence and seemed surprised when I told them I wanted to stay in diapers as I feel they are easier to deal with. They then said as long as the diapers didn’t cause any irritations, it made sense to stay in them. But truth be told, I realized I was now actually happy that it was official that I needed to wear diapers, even in uniform. It was the first moment I felt there was a benefit in being disabled. Yea it does have inconvenient aspects, but I am so lucky to be turned on by diapers. Instead of feeling miserable over being incontinent, my disability was now forcing me to live my diaper fetish.

I was medically retired from the military a few years later for multiple issues, one of which was urinary incontinence. Now days, all of my family and some friends know I need to wear diapers and fully support me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dorsetdl and ChocChip
TheBabyPants said:
My life was severely altered after I had an accident while in the military. I was in and out of the hospital for the next six months having various surgeries. It was also during this time that I noticed two things, I was drinking 4-5 gallons of water or ice tea a day and actually starting to develop some incontinence both day and night. I kept thinking how embarrassing it would be to pee myself in front of all the cute therapists in the hospital, but then my primary nurse says to me, “you could wear diapers for a while, why we do some tests.” Those words sent a hot flush of embarrassment right through me, along with an intense excitement. While my embarrassment was screaming no way, my excitement made me say ok.

Even though my accident had altered areas of sensation in my body, within minutes of having my diaper put on by the cute nurse, I realized I was feeling that familiar intense sexual stimulation, which was something that I feared was gone forever. The soft padding touching my genitals was leaving me with a constant erection that was incredibly arousing inside of a soft crinkly plastic outer layer.

The first few days I was so self-conscious that I was scared to go to therapy. I was sure everyone would hear the crinkle of my diaper and see the bulk of the padding over my non-stop erections, but my therapists were so reassuring and comforting that my embarrassment soon faded.

The incontinence continued to worsen over the next few weeks and more tests were run when they finally diagnosed me with a chronic neurogenic bladder with related mixed urinary incontinence as the result of diabetes insipidus with polyuria and chronic bladder dilation.

Realizing this was going to be a lifelong medical issue, the doctors and nurses suggested that I try condom catheters or catheters to control the incontinence and seemed surprised when I told them I wanted to stay in diapers as I feel they are easier to deal with. They then said as long as the diapers didn’t cause any irritations, it made sense to stay in them. But truth be told, I realized I was now actually happy that it was official that I needed to wear diapers, even in uniform. It was the first moment I felt there was a benefit in being disabled. Yea it does have inconvenient aspects, but I am so lucky to be turned on by diapers. Instead of feeling miserable over being incontinent, my disability was now forcing me to live my diaper fetish.

I was medically retired from the military a few years later for multiple issues, one of which was urinary incontinence. Now days, all of my family and some friends know I need to wear diapers and fully support me.
First of all with the UPMOST RESPECT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! I am not happy to need them but I am happy they exist and have gotten so much better over the years too. But I use condom catheters when I want a break. mostly at night sometimes because the condom catheter is cheaper than the diapers I use and I can wake up truly dry. But do to occasional bowl issues and lake of trust for the condom catheters to stay on I use a diaper over them. But I end up using it after I take the catheter off unless I pooped. So they save me some money since insurance will pay for them and not diapers. They save me a diaper sometimes more when I use them. But to be honest I prefer letting it go in the diaper.

I don't get the question because I'm just immediately answering without reading the above comments, BUT: After my ass was "Swacked" (swatted&whacked) when I was born.🤣🤣😘

Pino said:
My insurance pays about 18 Euro a month and i am committed to pay 10% on top (1,80 Euro) - but that is only for basic care, my "special wishes", like getting a diaper that works more than one wetting i have to pay extra.
Hello Pino,
as far as I can see, you come from Germany. I know the problem with insurance as well - but you don't have to accept that. The problem with the system is that in fact the supplier is responsible for choosing the right aid - regardless of what the doctor writes on the prescription (this is ultimately the supplier's view, which is not 100% true - I'll get to that later).

However, the insurance company (which contracted the provider) is also legally obligated to provide an effective, efficient aid that is capable of achieving the goal of the prescription (usually "participation in social life").

There are several ways to do something about this when dealing with the supplier's choice of aids

1) Prescription. It is true that the health care provider can choose the "right" aid - but only in the class of aids indicated on the prescription. In other words - if you want to get diapers and not pads, it is important that the doctor fill in the correct aid class. For high absobtion diapers, this is (M size), e.g. 15.25.31.7.
(You can also find this here: https://hilfsmittel.gkv-spitzenverband.de/home/verzeichnis/13e2ccf6-93f2-4cb4-b956-479d7fe35699)

2) The number of aids needed must be indicated on the prescription.

3) There must be a diagnosis on the prescription (use ICD - incontinence is not enough).

4) There is a way for the physician to override the "decision" of the supplier. In this case, the physician must write the _full_ aid number on the prescription (e.g. 15.25.31.7133). In addition, an additional justification must be written as to why this aid must be taken.

The justification must:

- Example, which aids of the corresponding aid class have already been tried unsuccessfully and what was the reason for the failure (e.g. "leaking", "caused chafing on the skin").

- Reasons why it is necessary to use it in the context of the objective. So, for example, "works with customers and therefore needs a particularly inconspicuous aids".

- Medical parameters - especially the amount of urine loss over 4 hours, the type of urine loss (e.g., gushing of about 200 ml) and, in the case of fecal incontinence, the frequency of occurrence.

Depending on the insurance company and the whim of the case worker, the following will happen:

a) The matter is simply approved and the health insurance company will notify you of a vendor who will supply the requested aid.

b) The health insurance company has it checked by the MDK. The MDK is usually on your side if they can verify what the justification says. However, the health insurance company does not have to follow the MDK's recommendation (but usually will).

c) The health insurance company refuses to reimburse the costs. This is usually a final refusal (this must be noted in the appeal instruction of the letter).

In case C, you can appeal the decision to the social court. The health insurance company almost always loses - especially if it made the mistake of not following the MDK's recommendation. By the way: The lawsuit costs you nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: GatoChihuahua, Diaperman95 and Pino
Diaperman95 said:
First of all with the UPMOST RESPECT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! I am not happy to need them but I am happy they exist and have gotten so much better over the years too. But I use condom catheters when I want a break. mostly at night sometimes because the condom catheter is cheaper than the diapers I use and I can wake up truly dry. But do to occasional bowl issues and lake of trust for the condom catheters to stay on I use a diaper over them. But I end up using it after I take the catheter off unless I pooped. So they save me some money since insurance will pay for them and not diapers. They save me a diaper sometimes more when I use them. But to be honest I prefer letting it go in the diaper.
Sponds like you are doing everything to make the best of it.

• Love
Reactions: Diaperman95
mickdl said:
Hello Pino,
as far as I can see, you come from Germany. I know the problem with insurance as well - but you don't have to accept that. The problem with the system is that in fact the supplier is responsible for choosing the right aid - regardless of what the doctor writes on the prescription (this is ultimately the supplier's view, which is not 100% true - I'll get to that later).

However, the insurance company (which contracted the provider) is also legally obligated to provide an effective, efficient aid that is capable of achieving the goal of the prescription (usually "participation in social life").

There are several ways to do something about this when dealing with the supplier's choice of aids

1) Prescription. It is true that the health care provider can choose the "right" aid - but only in the class of aids indicated on the prescription. In other words - if you want to get diapers and not pads, it is important that the doctor fill in the correct aid class. For high absobtion diapers, this is (M size), e.g. 15.25.31.7.
(You can also find this here: https://hilfsmittel.gkv-spitzenverband.de/home/verzeichnis/13e2ccf6-93f2-4cb4-b956-479d7fe35699)

3) There must be a diagnosis on the prescription (use ICD - incontinence is not enough).

4) There is a way for the physician to override the "decision" of the supplier. In this case, the physician must write the _full_ aid number on the prescription (e.g. 15.25.31.7133). In addition, an additional justification must be written as to why this aid must be taken.

The justification must:

- Example, which aids of the corresponding aid class have already been tried unsuccessfully and what was the reason for the failure (e.g. "leaking", "caused chafing on the skin").

- Reasons why it is necessary to use it in the context of the objective. So, for example, "works with customers and therefore needs a particularly inconspicuous aids".

- Medical parameters - especially the amount of urine loss over 4 hours, the type of urine loss (e.g., gushing of about 200 ml) and, in the case of fecal incontinence, the frequency of occurrence.

Depending on the insurance company and the whim of the case worker, the following will happen:

a) The matter is simply approved and the health insurance company will notify you of a vendor who will supply the requested aid.

b) The health insurance company has it checked by the MDK. The MDK is usually on your side if they can verify what the justification says. However, the health insurance company does not have to follow the MDK's recommendation (but usually will).

c) The health insurance company refuses to reimburse the costs. This is usually a final refusal (this must be noted in the appeal instruction of the letter).

In case C, you can appeal the decision to the social court. The health insurance company almost always loses - especially if it made the mistake of not following the MDK's recommendation. By the way: The lawsuit costs you nothing.
Hi Mick, what a post. :)

I needed several attempts to get a prescription that worked at all. I know i could / should get the one i really need, but i simply do not have the energy at the moment to fight this battle. I get the Attends Active L8 without additional payment in that amount i need.
But, as you know, sometimes a pants that is more flexible or a diaper that can hold more can be very helpful.

I am in that position to afford what i like, so i do not discuss that issue at the moment. My additional pay for the Attends L10 Classic is reasonable, so i just pay it at the moment. The discussion with the doctor about diapers is no fun at all, they simply have no clue about that stuff and it is difficult to explain it and the discussion always happens in front of all other patients waiting, i am not a fan of that.

Beside that i am still trying out some different manufacturers no insurance will pay, like the InControl diapers i tried in the last weeks.

For the moment i am pleased with Attends and the pricing politics.

But thank you very much for that detailed information.

Reactions: GatoChihuahua and mickdl
mickdl said:
Hello Pino,

The justification must:

My medicare won't pay for any unless I am in hospice or long term care. My advantage plan does have a allowance to spend on OTC products at their pharmacy. It is 300 every 3 months but the diapers they have are a joke. So I just buy the best and deal with the cost. I don't understand insurance companies. They will pay for a $100,000 surgery to to have urinary diversion or what ever it cost plus buy the outrageous priced bags needed after but will not buy a simple diaper. Mine just paid 7K for hearing aids and covered every penny but cant get me diapers.
They are happy to pay for condom catheters too. I think it is just a Stigma in America that Adults should not wear diapers.

Reactions: GatoChihuahua and Pino
Diaperman95 said:
I don't understand insurance companies. They will pay for a $100,000 surgery to to have urinary diversion or what ever it cost plus buy the outrageous priced bags needed after but will not buy a simple diaper. Mine just paid 7K for hearing aids and covered every penny but cant get me diapers.
They are happy to pay for condom catheters too. I think it is just a Stigma in America that Adults should not wear diapers.
Hi Diaperman,

this is basically a similar problem in Germany. The reason for this is that absorbent incontinence aids make up one of the largest shares of the expenditures for aids by the insurance companies.

The only presumably significant difference is that our health care system works differently and there is a compulsory health insurance for every citizen that covers all services. The benefits are guaranteed by law.

So everything could be nice - but unfortunately it is not, because the health insurance companies are also commercial enterprises to a certain extent. For this reason, they try to evade the legal regulations wherever possible. This works out well, because almost no one sues the insurance company - although in Germany it costs nothing and you often win.

But that's not surprising, because the topic is very shameful. Exactly this circumstance is exploited by the insurers. Those who don't know or don't want to sue either live with inadequate products or just pay themselves.

A co-payment is also possible - but this must always be calculated exactly, because the aids are often offered by the health insurance supplier above the market price.

mickdl said:
Hi Diaperman,

this is basically a similar problem in Germany. The reason for this is that absorbent incontinence aids make up one of the largest shares of the expenditures for aids by the insurance companies.

The only presumably significant difference is that our health care system works differently and there is a compulsory health insurance for every citizen that covers all services. The benefits are guaranteed by law.

So everything could be nice - but unfortunately it is not, because the health insurance companies are also commercial enterprises to a certain extent. For this reason, they try to evade the legal regulations wherever possible. This works out well, because almost no one sues the insurance company - although in Germany it costs nothing and you often win.

But that's not surprising, because the topic is very shameful. Exactly this circumstance is exploited by the insurers. Those who don't know or don't want to sue either live with inadequate products or just pay themselves.

A co-payment is also possible - but this must always be calculated exactly, because the aids are often offered by the health insurance supplier above the market price.
Yeah well no matter where you go greed will always factor into the decision making of all of these insurance companies. To many loop holes in laws for them to evade. Not too mention like you said who want's to go to court and tell a judge in front everyone that you need to wear diapers. It won't ever change unless the stigma of adults should not have to use diapers changes. But even then greed will always drive these companies to doing the least they can.

Reactions: GatoChihuahua and mickdl
ChocChip said:
It’s something I’ve always wondered about. When someone first becomes incontinent through injury, illness, childbirth etc. and the doctors maybe remove a catheter or something like that and the tests show (if it wasn’t obvious already) that you have basically no bladder control, what happens next? They can’t just send you home wetting your pants, so I presume they give you an “incontinence brief” (in their likely terminology) to go home in, and maybe some to keep you going until you get a regular supply sorted? Are they sensitive and give you help in terms of how to put them on, or just basically shove a bag of nappies in your hand and leave you to deal with it?

Also (mostly referring to UK NHS or similar) how soon do people transition from hospital-provided nappies to an assessment and regular supply?
This One woke-up padded after being severely injured. Once things were explained that's just the way it's been ever since.

DiaperedKhajiit said:
This One woke-up padded after being severely injured. Once things were explained that's just the way it's been ever since.
Sounds like you have adjusted. Thanks for being here. I hope you love the site and the people. This is the best therapy ever in my eyes. I love these people here and am glad you found us. So Welcome to the community. I hope to see you around

Reactions: GatoChihuahua, Pino and DiaperedKhajiit
jasonm03 said:
I had wet the bed a couple of times since I saw the pain clinic and made an appointment with my primary care doctor at the VA hospital, she walks in and asked me what my problem was so I told her I was bed wetting she walks out. A few minutes later the nurse walks in hands me a pack of diapers and says those should do until I see the urologist. The quack I see ignores me and says you have OAB and prescribes medication I wind up buying my own diapers until I see the second urologist
That’s what happened to me. Last time I was at a urologist was 18 after a uti made things worse for a period of two weeks or so. They spent 5 minutes with me asking questions, said it was OAB and than pushed me pills. I felt brushed off and soon after I was in denial again when the pills did nothing for me but dry my eyes and mouth beyond bearable. I resorted back to thinking my problems were normal and in my head. Finally 5 years later I am going to go back to the urologist once I can reschedule a appointment that I had to cancel. OAB may be a part of it…. MAYBE but I know that my symptoms are not OAB symptoms. Unfortunately I think it’s neurological because since the as long as I can remember I have had issues not feeling the need to go or not feeling till it’s almost - already too late to make it to bathroom

Back