Homemade littles clothes, what do you think?

Makubird

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
So, a couple of months ago I decided to buy a sewing machine and started learning how to sew. After some practice I managed to produce some nice clothes for myself. I also made an adult size super soft baby blanket with little elephants.

My next project will probably be another toddler's dress and a sweater.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

View album 27

Reactions: abrich, nwm, BobbiSueEllen and 5 others
Ot looks amazing, good job

Reactions: nwm and BobbiSueEllen
Swet!!!

Wow, your creations look amazing! you did all that only after a few months of learning? very impressive. Did you create your own patterns or did you use actual baby clothing patterns? Great work.

Makubird said:
So, a couple of months ago I decided to buy a sewing machine and started learning how to sew. After some practice I managed to produce some nice clothes for myself. I also made an adult size super soft baby blanket with little elephants.

View album 27

Wow, you learned fast, nice job!

I absolutely love it! Especially the wrap-shirt, I love those as actual baby clothes, so seeing one in Adult Baby size is darling. And that blanket, oh my gosh it looks so cuddly! I like the toddler leggins too, maybe I could try something like that some time...hmm...

So, brainstorming is activated.

For a sweater, my brain is conjuring up several images right now. First, raglan sleeves: They're very easy to make, and look really cute and toddlerish if you use two colourful contrasting fabrics (maybe you're even lucky and find the same pattern, but in two colours?). Second, DINOSAURS! I don't know if you wanted to do a hood, but consider this: A dino hoodie with spikes all along the back! Or without a hood: maybe add a breast pocket that some little critter is peeking out of?

You've been sticking to more toddlerish stuff, but do you plan on making a onesie too one day? I think onesies, especially long sleeve ones, look super adorbs with the kind of neckline you did on that white patterned shirt. (Also: good idea to put a button where the front and back meet, mine always shift while I'm wearing them, maybe I should add snaps too).

For dress ideas: I personally love babydoll dresses, with a short bodice and a gathered skirt, maybe a bow in the center - they can be sleeveless or have long sleeves (yes I have a slight obsession with long sleeves), maybe have a peter pan collar if you're feeling confident. Or maybe instead of a dress, a bubble romper? (Or a dress and a bubble romper - the possibilities are endless.)

I hope you don't mind me rambling at you, I'm really impressed by what you've made so far and would love to see more!

Thank you all for your nice comments :D

MaleoMist said:
Wow, your creations look amazing! you did all that only after a few months of learning? very impressive. Did you create your own patterns or did you use actual baby clothing patterns? Great work.

I happened to have a lot of time recently because of a depression. And sewing, amongst others, kept me going. I also watched a lot of tutorials on YouTube. I copied patterns from children’s books and magazines and adjusted them to my size and proportions which is perhaps the most difficult part of it all. For the wrap sweater I used the pattern of an adult size raglan shirt and added the babyish things to it. I also used some of my adult clothes as a template. It was not easy to find bias tape and buttons that match the proportion and style of the clothes. I made the 2 inch bias tape myself, the buttons are 3/4 inch in diameter.

Schwanensee said:
I absolutely love it! Especially the wrap-shirt, I love those as actual baby clothes, so seeing one in Adult Baby size is darling. And that blanket, oh my gosh it looks so cuddly! I like the toddler leggins too, maybe I could try something like that some time...hmm...

So, brainstorming is activated.

For a sweater, my brain is conjuring up several images right now. First, raglan sleeves: They're very easy to make, and look really cute and toddlerish if you use two colourful contrasting fabrics (maybe you're even lucky and find the same pattern, but in two colours?). Second, DINOSAURS! I don't know if you wanted to do a hood, but consider this: A dino hoodie with spikes all along the back! Or without a hood: maybe add a breast pocket that some little critter is peeking out of?

You've been sticking to more toddlerish stuff, but do you plan on making a onesie too one day? I think onesies, especially long sleeve ones, look super adorbs with the kind of neckline you did on that white patterned shirt. (Also: good idea to put a button where the front and back meet, mine always shift while I'm wearing them, maybe I should add snaps too).

For dress ideas: I personally love babydoll dresses, with a short bodice and a gathered skirt, maybe a bow in the center - they can be sleeveless or have long sleeves (yes I have a slight obsession with long sleeves), maybe have a peter pan collar if you're feeling confident. Or maybe instead of a dress, a bubble romper? (Or a dress and a bubble romper - the possibilities are endless.)

I hope you don't mind me rambling at you, I'm really impressed by what you've made so far and would love to see more!

Hi Schwanensee. Thank you so much for your ideas! I am definitely going for the dinosaur hoodie! I haven’t made onesies yet because they are easy to find and I have enough of them for now. But a long sleeve footed sleeper with zipper from neck to feet is on my list. The baby blanket is made from minky fleece and is extremely soft and cuddly. The leggings are not only comfortable but also keep the diaper in place. Like it should.

I also like your creations a lot. I clearly remember your T-shirt. Seeing that was actually one of the reasons I started thinking about making clothes myself.

Every now and then I have to sew something that I can show to my family. They do not know about my being ABDL so I need an alibi for my sewing machine :D. Next week I start with a polo shirt for grown up kids haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and tiny
They look cute af

Very good.

That's incredible. I don't believe I could ever do that. As for depression, I get that. I'm taking a creative writing course at the suggestion of my therapist and it's helping.

dogboy said:
That's incredible. I don't believe I could ever do that. As for depression, I get that. I'm taking a creative writing course at the suggestion of my therapist and it's helping.

Glad to hear you are doing better. Having a depression is so hard, it takes all your pleasures, initiative and energy away :(

So you can still learn to write more creatively than you already do? I remember your story about plushies sneaking out of bed at night and running around on their fluffy paws and doing evil things :D

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Makubird said:

View album 27
Good job the look great . I don't know how to sew
Makubird said:

View album 27
Good job they look awesome. I don't know how to sew but that is
Makubird said:

View album 27
Good job they look great. I don't know how to sew yet but I want to learn awesome job on your little creations

Hey! I kno this post is a little old, but I was hoping you might be able to give some insight on how youve altered patterns for children’s clothes to suit an adult. Your products look like something I’d pay decent money for!

ive gotten tired of trying to find the specific kinds of clothes I’m looking for and decided to try to make my own. Mostly just snap crotch diaper shorts and babyish shirts (I actually can’t stand the crop top style), cuz onesies and other things are pretty easy to come by. But little boy clothes can be kinda though to find in variety.

Last edited:
Glitch said:
Hey! I kno this post is a little old, but I was hoping you might be able to give some insight on how youve altered patterns for children’s clothes to suit an adult. Your products look like something I’d pay decent money for!

ive gotten tired of trying to find the specific kinds of clothes I’m looking for and decided to try to make my own. Mostly just snap crotch diaper shorts and babyish shirts (I actually can’t stand the crop top style), cuz onesies and other things are pretty easy to come by. But little boy clothes can be kinda though to find in variety.

Thanks Glitch!
First I look for clothing patterns that have that babyish look and that are not too difficult to sew. Then I try to define the essentials of that babyness, e.g. the fabric (large motives are better than small ones I think), the envelope neck, large buttons, proportions. When drawing the adult size pattern there are several options. Easiest thing to do is to use an adult size pattern as a template. E.g. using the T-shirt as an example: You can take the pattern of an adult shirt and try to draw the envelope neck with the baby pattern as an example. Then shorten the length of the shirt to your liking. It helps to make a sample first with cheap fabric to see if it fits and where it needs adjustments.You also need some creativity. In this case, the neck became too wide because of the large size. I used the buttons to solve that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glitch, dogboy and BobbiSueEllen
By all means, go for it! I got a pattern for a Skirtall, gonna get my Brother machine out, pull down some corduroy and do it up! 🤗

Makubird said:
Thanks Glitch!
First I look for clothing patterns that have that babyish look and that are not too difficult to sew. Then I try to define the essentials of that babyness, e.g. the fabric (large motives are better than small ones I think), the envelope neck, large buttons, proportions. When drawing the adult size pattern there are several options. Easiest thing to do is to use an adult size pattern as a template. E.g. using the T-shirt as an example: You can take the pattern of an adult shirt and try to draw the envelope neck with the baby pattern as an example. Then shorten the length of the shirt to your liking. It helps to make a sample first with cheap fabric to see if it fits and where it needs adjustments.You also need some creativity. In this case, the neck became too wide because of the large size. I used the buttons to solve that.

Awesome, thanks!

I've thought about kind of modifying adult patterns, but being a complete beginner (although pretty savvy), I'm kind of worried.

I got this pattern https://www.etsy.com/listing/212191909/happy-buns-britches-cloth-diaper-pants?ref=hp_rv-1 and been reading about how to scale sizes by separating the pattern into chunks and spreading the chunks apart incrementally. what do you think would be the best approach here?

Glitch said:
Awesome, thanks!

I've thought about kind of modifying adult patterns, but being a complete beginner (although pretty savvy), I'm kind of worried.

I got this pattern https://www.etsy.com/listing/212191909/happy-buns-britches-cloth-diaper-pants?ref=hp_rv-1 and been reading about how to scale sizes by separating the pattern into chunks and spreading the chunks apart incrementally. what do you think would be the best approach here?

Since pants may be difficult to draw from scratch I would suggest you take a pair of your adult (training) pants that fit comfortably. Look at how the pants are constructed from essentially two pieces sewn together. Then draw the circumference of each pattern on paper. Make the legs a little less wide. Try to fit in an that extra piece for the bottom/diaper. Make the hems extra wide for the right proportions.
Choose a fabric with enough stretch.
I had to try several times before I found the right pattern. It all comes down to analysing the pattern, measuring a lot and some creativity. There are some good books about drawing and adjusting sewing patterns.

D14236F3-1E1A-4390-B6F5-FCE0EF632C86.jpeg58465E4E-6389-4B57-BBFA-11952F7E066D.jpeg

Glitch said:
Awesome, thanks!

The issue is that you can't really just scale up baby patterns since their proportions are very different. Biological babys are pretty...square, you could say, with very short limbs compared to the torso. An adult has much longer limbs and a differently shaped torso. (And then if you're like me, you have to consider ridiculous hips. Ugh.) It is honestly much easier to take an adult pattern as a base and then add on to it or change it to your liking. Oftentimes you can make a garment look babyish just with the choice of fabric: Soft pastels or high contrast details make a big difference.
I suggest learning how to make a pattern out of an existing garment, it will save you a lot of trouble and money from commercial patterns, and you know that whatever you make will fit you.

For little boys clothes why not trace a t-shirt, add the one inch allowance then add half an inch. So it'll be a little looser. You could probably leave the sleeves how they are if not a little longer

Same thing with shorts . Substitutes the zipper for elastic. Trace the shorts, use the one inch allowance and add half an inch

For shortalls trace like normal, but I think the top probably needs one inch allowance for hemming. The shortalls again trace one inch allowance and add half an inch
I don't know what to do about pockets

To complete the look you could get a plain base ball cap and iron on a cartoon.

I've never tried this it is just a theory, feel free to correct me.

Btw those look professional

Last edited:
Wow! That's amazing! I'm really impressed!

Back