Having the “conversation” with a new partner

I thank you all for your kind responses . Some are very beautiful like @greatlake5 and I really can’t thank everyone enough for the support here. I’ve started the conversation with her and it’s going well right now.

Reactions: Diprs2, DreamerBenenedicte, newt and 5 others
jessraven said:
i‘ve been seeing a new person for the past month and it seems like it’s getting more serious. It’s sort of long distance and we have not spent the night together yet...but it’s going to happen very soon. I’ve had to totally hide my incontinence problems. I even wore pads and panties and always discretes, and removed them before intimacy (thank god I didn’t have an accident)...and I even fasted and cut back on liquids so I won’t like have anything in me to go :(...yes I know it’s crazy and not sustainable...but I really like her. she knows I have “pee problems,” and I have told her I have leaks....I haven’t told her that I diaper 24/7. like today I was on the phone with her in a FaceTime and I had to go off camera as I literally peed and pooped my diaper while I was talking with her while I was on my walk. She asked if I was ok and I told her I had to go...and I called her back. It just raised the whole topic in my head...I can’t hide thismuch longer and I’m terrified....omg and I worry if I tell her and it doesn’t work out...that she’d out me...:(

i REALLY need to hear some happy endings with this and any advice on “Having the conversation”? I guess I won’t know until I try...Never been in this position before because I’m now fully 24/7 and I wasn’t before....but anytime it got serious in the past once they found out i peed myself it got weird....not even talking about the other... help
May I ask what you are expecting from her? I mean are you wanting a romantic relationship and just have to reveal the extent of your medical condition so she is aware of it? Or are you wanting her to be a part of it?

Because honestly if you have your situation down, and it's just part of your life, I think most descent women (assuming you chose wisely) would understand that and may want to know more over time, but I dont see them bailing.
I have a good friend who's diabetic and most people dont realize all the extra things that come with that other then diet and shots. She can't produce ANY moisture so she has to use products to be intimate and that's always a tough thing to bring up too. But people that can't handle those types of things, they aren't worth your time.
Be brave, and good luck!

Reactions: jessraven, Diprs2 and cloakplt
jessraven said:
I thank you all for your kind responses . Some are very beautiful like @greatlake5 and I really can’t thank everyone enough for the support here. I’ve started the conversation with her and it’s going well right now.
I’m glad it’s going well so far. Continue to be honest and true to her and yourself. I got into trouble telling half truths because I was ashamed of me and in turn it led to more “uncomfortable” conversations down the road. I wish you the best of luck and I am glad you are getting supper here!

Reactions: Diprs2, Subtlerustle and ILuvDiapers
The anxiety is perfectly understandable. Hiding it to build up a little feelings for each other the smartest thing to do. This ain't the stuff to tell on the first dates(if possible). Makes it way too easy to get ditched. But it seems you are both emotionally invsted enough.
You'll have to tell her the full extend of your situation before anything like moving together comes to play. It is the perfect test to see if she likes you as the man you are with all pro's and con's or if it's just shallow flirtatious "love" without true substance. A partner that leaves you because of your IC would have let you down sooner or later anyway. Telling what sacrefices you made because your fear of rejection can be beneficial. If she is a good and empathic person it should invoke compassion. The perfect timing for this? That is up to you.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Dinotopian2002
I completely understand the anxiety and fear that comes from telling someone, especially someone you have significant feelings for.

I see you already started having the conversation so I'm probably a bit too late. But I had to tell my (now-fiancée) and was an absolute ball of nerves for it. I just couldn't get it out. I was so nervous that when I finally did tell her, she actually laughed. Not because she thought it was a problem, but because she assumed based on my nerves that I was going to tell her I was married, had kids, or had a terminal disease. She did stop laughing when she realized I probably wasn't looking for that reaction, but did say that it was not even a big deal compared to what she thought I was going to say. It was the best day of my life knowing she accepted it.

Anyway, I really hope the conversation went/goes well. I think we really make it out to be far worse in our heads than in reality. Not saying I don't understand why we do, because even still I struggle with it, but I think its important to give others more more capacity to understand and accept our situation than we think.

Love is the most powerful force in the universe. Not even a few diapers can stop it when there ain't no mountain high, ain't no valley low, or a river wide enough to stop it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jessraven, Diprs2 and Edgewater
jessraven said:
I have started to tell her a little more. It hasn’t gotten weird yet but I don’t know ...she seemed very accepting of things but i will have to see how she reacts when I have an accident or she really notices that I used my diaper. I will try to keep this thread open and share later on.
I know exactly what you mean!
The girl I like seems sweet and understanding. But we don't know each other very well yet. Wet met because we have common friends but I believe non of them knows how incontinent I am. I mostly saw them this summer for a drink or dinner outside. Mostly in the same bar with a nice terrace with very convenient toilets (close to the terrace with fully closing stalls and big trash bins inside 👍).
Anyway we are talking a lot (even by phone) but are not really dating yet. Maybe one day ? 😍
One evening it was only the two of us at the end of the dinner. She told me that she noticed my "mad runs" to the bathrooms. Like this time weirdly just after our dessert arrived. Couldn't I just wait 10 minutes to eat the cake?
I couldn't reply immediately and I believe my cheeks became quite red. I couldn't talk to her about neurological issues, OAB, leaks...
So I only said that my bladder is very sensitive and that I indeed need the bathroom often and without delays sine I'm a young girl. Which is true. Only omitted the quite constant leaks, smells, bedwetting and protections 😪
She doesn't seems to make a big deal out of it. Being understanding she realised that it might be difficult to deal with on a daily basis. Also trying to make a joke about her mother who is always looking for the toilets when outside. To be honest, I don't remember exactly but didn't find it funny 😏.

Like you, I fear the conversation about the "weird" parts. And the worst would be when she will realise that I wear a wet protection. I don't want her to look at me like that!

• Sad
Reactions: jessraven, Diprs2, Edgewater and 1 other person
DreamerBen said:
The girl I like seems sweet and understanding. But we don't know each other very well yet. Wet met because we have common friends but I believe non of them knows how incontinent I am. I mostly saw them this summer for a drink or dinner outside. Mostly in the same bar with a nice terrace with very convenient toilets (close to the terrace with fully closing stalls and big trash bins inside 👍).
Anyway we are talking a lot (even by phone) but are not really dating yet. Maybe one day ? 😍
One evening it was only the two of us at the end of the dinner. She told me that she noticed my "mad runs" to the bathrooms. Like this time weirdly just after our dessert arrived. Couldn't I just wait 10 minutes to eat the cake?
I couldn't reply immediately and I believe my cheeks became quite red. I couldn't talk to her about neurological issues, OAB, leaks...
So I only said that my bladder is very sensitive and that I indeed need the bathroom often and without delays sine I'm a young girl. Which is true. Only omitted the quite constant leaks, smells, bedwetting and protections 😪
She doesn't seems to make a big deal out of it. Being understanding she realised that it might be difficult to deal with on a daily basis. Also trying to make a joke about her mother who is always looking for the toilets when outside. To be honest, I don't remember exactly but didn't find it funny 😏.

Like you, I fear the conversation about the "weird" parts. And the worst would be when she will realise that I wear a wet protection. I don't want her to look at me like that!
🫂

Reactions: jessraven, newt and Edgewater
DreamerBen said:

I know you're terrified of that next conversation, but as someone who has successfully come out the other side of it, I would tell you to reframe the issue in your head. Instead of fearing how it could change the way she looks at you, think of it in terms of what you can gain! Someone who accepts you AND the problem, and likes/loves you all the same!

I convinced myself that my fiancée would look at me as less than a man because I needed diapers. But she didn't. I was the same person she loved (liked at that point), just with more bladder problems than she expected.

The days/weeks after I told my fiancée felt like I was floating. It changes things immediately, its like the scene in Wizard of Oz when Dorothy goes from black and white to color. You realize you don't have to deal with this issue alone anymore. You have the support of someone you intimately care about.

You can do it. Its a leap of faith but I promise you, once you find that person, the risk is miniscule compared to the reward.

• Love
jessraven said:
Good luck, i hope it all works out for you..

HoneySnow said:
May I ask what you are expecting from her? I mean are you wanting a romantic relationship and just have to reveal the extent of your medical condition so she is aware of it? Or are you wanting her to be a part of it?

Because honestly if you have your situation down, and it's just part of your life, I think most descent women (assuming you chose wisely) would understand that and may want to know more over time, but I dont see them bailing.
I have a good friend who's diabetic and most people dont realize all the extra things that come with that other then diet and shots. She can't produce ANY moisture so she has to use products to be intimate and that's always a tough thing to bring up too. But people that can't handle those types of things, they aren't worth your time.
Be brave, and good luck!
Thank you

Reactions: Edgewater
JolandaH said:
Good luck, i hope it all works out for you..
Thank you

newt said:
I know you're terrified of that next conversation, but as someone who has successfully come out the other side of it, I would tell you to reframe the issue in your head. Instead of fearing how it could change the way she looks at you, think of it in terms of what you can gain! Someone who accepts you AND the problem, and likes/loves you all the same!

I convinced myself that my fiancée would look at me as less than a man because I needed diapers. But she didn't. I was the same person she loved (liked at that point), just with more bladder problems than she expected.

The days/weeks after I told my fiancée felt like I was floating. It changes things immediately, its like the scene in Wizard of Oz when Dorothy goes from black and white to color. You realize you don't have to deal with this issue alone anymore. You have the support of someone you intimately care about.

You can do it. Its a leap of faith but I promise you, once you find that person, the risk is miniscule compared to the reward.
Thank you

I told my now wife of 29 years that I wet the bed the first time we ever slept together (date two!) as I reckoned it could be a show stopper but I also knew that she was the one for me! She was very understanding although the adult nappies I wore were known as ‘passion killers’! I had been injured in the army so that made it a bit more understandable. Since then my spinal issues have got much worse and I now wear adult nappies 24/7 to manage my IC.
Be honest is my advice because if this person is the right person for you she will understand too.

Reactions: FudgedInLuvs, TreeLad, jessraven and 3 others
Tenaman said:
I told my now wife of 29 years that I wet the bed the first time we ever slept together (date two!) as I reckoned it could be a show stopper but I also knew that she was the one for me! She was very understanding although the adult nappies I wore were known as ‘passion killers’! I had been injured in the army so that made it a bit more understandable. Since then my spinal issues have got much worse and I now wear adult nappies 24/7 to manage my IC.
Be honest is my advice because if this person is the right person for you she will understand too.
Thank you for sharing your story and your message.

Reactions: ILuvDiapers and Edgewater
jessraven said:
i‘ve been seeing a new person for the past month and it seems like it’s getting more serious. It’s sort of long distance and we have not spent the night together yet...but it’s going to happen very soon. I’ve had to totally hide my incontinence problems. I even wore pads and panties and always discretes, and removed them before intimacy (thank god I didn’t have an accident)...and I even fasted and cut back on liquids so I won’t like have anything in me to go :(...yes I know it’s crazy and not sustainable...but I really like her. she knows I have “pee problems,” and I have told her I have leaks....I haven’t told her that I diaper 24/7. like today I was on the phone with her in a FaceTime and I had to go off camera as I literally peed and pooped my diaper while I was talking with her while I was on my walk. She asked if I was ok and I told her I had to go...and I called her back. It just raised the whole topic in my head...I can’t hide thismuch longer and I’m terrified....omg and I worry if I tell her and it doesn’t work out...that she’d out me...:(

i REALLY need to hear some happy endings with this and any advice on “Having the conversation”? I guess I won’t know until I try...Never been in this position before because I’m now fully 24/7 and I wasn’t before....but anytime it got serious in the past once they found out i peed myself it got weird....not even talking about the other... help
I believe I am repeating what everyone has already said: just be honest!

*If* she is *the one*, then it won't matter to her. But if she balks and runs, then better to know now than further down the road when both of you have made a significant investment.

In my case, I let this lady (now my wife) know pretty early on. Why did I do this? Because I wanted her to make an informed decision on whether she wanted to be with me or not. That's just part of dating. As for me I said "if she drops me because of my UIC then she is not the one for me" (of course I totally did not want that to happen). Once I sprang it on her, she was a bit taken aback about such a "young, strong guy" having to wear diapers. But after she asked a few questions, she was satisfied and we moved on. Life has been great ever since!3

Reactions: Diprs2, ILuvDiapers, jessraven and 1 other person
JustAnotherIC said:
I believe I am repeating what everyone has already said: just be honest!

*If* she is *the one*, then it won't matter to her. But if she balks and runs, then better to know now than further down the road when both of you have made a significant investment.

In my case, I let this lady (now my wife) know pretty early on. Why did I do this? Because I wanted her to make an informed decision on whether she wanted to be with me or not. That's just part of dating. As for me I said "if she drops me because of my UIC then she is not the one for me" (of course I totally did not want that to happen). Once I sprang it on her, she was a bit taken aback about such a "young, strong guy" having to wear diapers. But after she asked a few questions, she was satisfied and we moved on. Life has been great ever since!3
Thank you for sharing :)

Reactions: Deleted member 74705 and Edgewater
When I first got with my now ex fiance who I have known since the 6th grade I told her that I needed to wear diapers during the first time we slept together after a few months of dating. She had already slept at my house but we slept in separate rooms because I feared that she would find out about my problems with bedwetting. During the first few months of dating and hanging out at her house therewas times that she would rub my diapered area but not say anything. When we finally decided to sleep together I told her that I used to wet the bed as a kid and had to wear pull-ups at night and sometimes during the day at school, she said that she remembered that I would go to the nurses office to get my wet pants changed. She said that she saw my diapers in my room and also felt my plastic sheet and figured the I was still having problems with peeing in the bed in my 30s. But didn't want to say anything about it to keep me from getting upset. I asked her to get me something to wear and bring it to me in the bathroom and she found my diapers and hid one under her pillow. As we was getting ready for bed she asked me if I still was wetting the bed and needed a diaper to wear. I told her yes and she told me the she had found them and need to put it on. She later told me that my brother had told her in school about me wetting the bed and having to wear diapers and she brought up about her filling the pull-ups at her house.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
DreamerBenenedicte said:

I would like to update my situation since this summer.
Dating while urinary issues is complicated...
In September and October we had few dates. To be honest I was in love with her and was doing my best to impress her. New hair cut, clothes... Also I wore the thinnest protection possible (Tena Lady pads) in order to try to hide or minimise my real issues around her. Of course I couldn't hide the constant trips to the bathroom. She knew about my protections, and even saw the bags in my bathroom. But she never saw me naked in them. And I didn't left a wet one in her house.
At first we had wonderful times. I was taking it slow but we had sex in my bed one afternoon in November. I showered before and with both loved it. I was in heaven 🤩
She insisted to spend the night in my bed afterwards. It became real about revealing my true incontinence issues. I had to show up with a big Molicare pull up under my pyjamas. She saw the bulge and smiled trying to reassure me. She seems quite as embarrassed as me but told me that she new about the bigger protections because they saw them in my bathroom. And figured I would need more help during the night.
That night I did set my alarm on order to get up first and took a shower. When I came back in my room, we cuddled and had sex again 😎
I was so reassured and confident that the night after I invited her again but didn't think about the alarm in the morning. Maybe also because we had some wine in the evening... But in the morning my worst fear came true. We woke up at the same time. And without thinking, half asleep, I let her cuddle me. Until she touched my butt, obviously wanting for more, and suddenly moved away.
I realised immediately what was wrong. I was feeling very wet and it also had leaked into my pyjamas and bed. She looked at me questioningly without speaking. So I went for a rant trying to explain that I couldn't help it. That I very rarely wet so much that even the bed is wet. That I usually manage by drinking less in the evening, wearing this type of protection and shower in the morning.
She seems a bit sad. Her look was not as supportive as I had hoped 🫤. Only said that she understood and that it must be difficult to manage. Also asked me if I can hope for medical solutions.
When I finally lifted the sheets to go to the shower, we both noticed the smell and the small stain under me and onto my pyjamas. When I went back in my bedroom afterwards, she wasn't theire but the window was opened.
We didn't talk about it during the rest of the day except in the afternoon. My pad leaked a bit on my pants while we were at some common friend. I replaced the pad but she noticed the very small patch on my pant. If was uncomfortable so we left.
We were supposed to sleep in her apartment. But she bluntly told me that she would prefer sleep alone and rest. I told her that I would be better prepared than the night before, without too much drinking in the afternoon / evening and that she can sleep at home if that's the concern.
During the ride home, the admitted that she needed time to think about our relationship. That she wasn't ready for that. I cringed and asked what was "that"? 😢. Her answer was that be with me always means adapt the program to make toilet brakes possible, dealing with protections, leaks and smell even in front of other people... The worst part was that she admitted that she couldn't stand that her bed and sheets smells like my nighttime protections.

I never saw her again 😥

• Sad
Reactions: abcdef, Subtlerustle, Dinotopian2002 and 3 others
DreamerBenenedicte said:
In September and October we had few dates. To be honest I was in love with her and was doing my best to impress her. New hair cut, clothes... Also I wore the thinnest protection possible (Tena Lady pads) in order to try to hide or minimise my real issues around her. Of course I couldn't hide the constant trips to the bathroom. She knew about my protections, and even saw the bags in my bathroom. But she never saw me naked in them. And I didn't left a wet one in her house.
At first we had wonderful times. I was taking it slow but we had sex in my bed one afternoon in November. I showered before and with both loved it. I was in heaven 🤩
She insisted to spend the night in my bed afterwards. It became real about revealing my true incontinence issues. I had to show up with a big Molicare pull up under my pyjamas. She saw the bulge and smiled trying to reassure me. She seems quite as embarrassed as me but told me that she new about the bigger protections because they saw them in my bathroom. And figured I would need more help during the night.
That night I did set my alarm on order to get up first and took a shower. When I came back in my room, we cuddled and had sex again 😎
I was so reassured and confident that the night after I invited her again but didn't think about the alarm in the morning. Maybe also because we had some wine in the evening... But in the morning my worst fear came true. We woke up at the same time. And without thinking, half asleep, I let her cuddle me. Until she touched my butt, obviously wanting for more, and suddenly moved away.
I realised immediately what was wrong. I was feeling very wet and it also had leaked into my pyjamas and bed. She looked at me questioningly without speaking. So I went for a rant trying to explain that I couldn't help it. That I very rarely wet so much that even the bed is wet. That I usually manage by drinking less in the evening, wearing this type of protection and shower in the morning.
She seems a bit sad. Her look was not as supportive as I had hoped 🫤. Only said that she understood and that it must be difficult to manage. Also asked me if I can hope for medical solutions.
When I finally lifted the sheets to go to the shower, we both noticed the smell and the small stain under me and onto my pyjamas. When I went back in my bedroom afterwards, she wasn't theire but the window was opened.
We didn't talk about it during the rest of the day except in the afternoon. My pad leaked a bit on my pants while we were at some common friend. I replaced the pad but she noticed the very small patch on my pant. If was uncomfortable so we left.
We were supposed to sleep in her apartment. But she bluntly told me that she would prefer sleep alone and rest. I told her that I would be better prepared than the night before, without too much drinking in the afternoon / evening and that she can sleep at home if that's the concern.
During the ride home, the admitted that she needed time to think about our relationship. That she wasn't ready for that. I cringed and asked what was "that"? 😢. Her answer was that be with me always means adapt the program to make toilet brakes possible, dealing with protections, leaks and smell even in front of other people... The worst part was that she admitted that she couldn't stand that her bed and sheets smells like my nighttime protections.

I never saw her again 😥
Sorry that your relationship did not work.

I would recommend that you not underplay your situation next time. It is always better to be over padded and not need it, then to have leaks when you are underprepared. This whole start light and pray that all works out is doomed to fail as the reality of IC is that the worst will happen at the worst possible moment!

Again sorry it did not work out!

• Love
Reactions: DreamerBenenedicte
DreamerBenenedicte said:

I never saw her again 😥
Sorry to hear it didn’t work out.

I appreciate this may not be the news you want to hear, but you need to pad up better in future. When dating, if alcohol is involved, or your incontinence issues are worsened by stress, you don’t want to make it harder for yourself.

As embarrassing as needing to wear a diaper can be, it’s much less embarrassing than wet pants, or a leaking pad.

And I’m going to be blunt here, if a partner can’t handle your diaper needs, then they’re not worth your time - this condition is part of who you are. And if they can’t accept that, it’s their problem, not yours.

However, in return, it’s on you to find yourself some decent diapers which you can feel comfortably in while dating, so you don’t leak again.

But the good news is, there are some people out there who will understand, or may even like it. I’ll admit it’s a hurdle but it’s not impossible for people to cross.

The important things are:
Don’t give up trying
Don’t settle for anyone who won’t accept you.
And don’t forget to diaper up.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

• Love
Reactions: DreamerBenenedicte and Edgewater
Back