Have you ever been "outed"?

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Has anyone outed you? I mean has anyone outed you by saying something to another or just saying to you? When I was younger, other students would point out that they saw my diaper. It was crushing. Eventually everyone would know. I just wasn't good at hiding my diapers. Some of the comments where hurtful. Now that I'm older, most adults don't say anything. They might notice but they respect IC people. What happened to you when someone did something?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: checkingoutall, Diprs2, Deleted member 39574 and 5 others
I am recently IC but not while young. My wife sometimes "outs me" privately so that I am made aware (I realize this is not technically being "outed").

One day I was having diarrhea issues, so I wore plastic pants over my day diaper. After coming home and sitting on the couch in front of the tv, my plastic pants ended up showing above my waist line and so she "outed" me there. Since then I have purchased a couple of onesies for when I go out where that might be necessary. This is particularly helpful in summer as I tend to wear golf shirts in the good weather, since they don't tuck in.

Reactions: checkingoutall, Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
My sister told everyone that I still wet the bed.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: checkingoutall, Diprs2, AttilaThePun and 8 others
I've been dealing with intermittent urinary and very occasionally fecal incontinence for thirty-five years (since iwas 20 and got diagnosed with ulcerative colitis), and in all that time I've never been outed by anyone. Most adults don't notice at all, and those that do are mostly too polite to say anything.

Kids are a whole different story. I really feel for those of you who were incontinent as children

Reactions: checkingoutall, Diprs2, AttilaThePun and 4 others
ltaluv said:
I've been dealing with intermittent urinary and very occasionally fecal incontinence for thirty-five years (since iwas 20 and got diagnosed with ulcerative colitis), and in all that time I've never been outed by anyone. Most adults don't notice at all, and those that do are mostly too polite to say anything.

Kids are a whole different story. I really feel for those of you who were incontinent as children
I had a weak bladder growing up. Most days I wet my self I got a lot of stick from other kids but eventually they left me alone and my wetting was old news. They all knew I was a bedwetter as my sister used to delight in telling everyone.
I was finally dry during the day just before my 11th birthday but wet at night until my early 20s.

Reactions: checkingoutall and Diprs2
I’ve been outed by a nurse at my continence clinic who told me in front of other patients sitting in the corridor I was in that I might want to change my pull up before leaving. She would have seen that it was a bit wet when I was having tests done, so she wasn’t wrong, but it was pretty unprofessional.

I also get outed every now and again by my girlfriend when she asks me if I need to change. Sometimes it’s when we’re alone, but often it’s when we’re passing a public toilet at the shops or something. She has a better nose than me, so I don’t really mind that and because she doesn’t specify what might need changing, probably only incontinent people would realise.

Reactions: checkingoutall, Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
I do not know if this counts: I need to get a prescription from my family doctor over "incontinence material, diagnosis ICD-39.42G" every three month for my insurance, so i get the diapers i need for a reduced price. Usually i go to the one nurse where i know that she knows, you get me, i just need to say: "Hello" and "i need my prescription for diagnosis 39.42" and i get it without anybody knowing what i am talking about.
That one time she was not there, but somebody new.
So i tried as good as possible to get the prescription without talking to loud, because there was a lot of people around and it is a smaller town.

"What is 39.42, what do you need?"
"Medical aid (there is a German "euphemism" medical term) for diagnosis 39.42"
"So, what diagnosis is that?"
"For incontinence."
"Ahh, you need diapers?"

She was talking that loud, really everybody heard it and everybody was looking at me in astonishment. Especially the younger women on my left looked at me scanning my crotch, when i captured her gaze (?) she felt caught but than just smiled at me.
For a moment i was embarrassed, but a little later i thought: "F*** it, i do not care."

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: checkingoutall, babykeiff, HoneySnow and 5 others
Pino said:
For a moment i was embarrassed, but a little later i thought: "F*** it, i do not care."
That's the right spirit! Never feel embarrassed for something which is not your fault, which you cannot change and which is simply that what it is!

Reactions: checkingoutall, Diprs2, Blekyss and 4 others
It’s not outing but I do always sign up for updates and advice from incontinence suppliers and not have started getting contact from other suppliers. So I guess it’s a little “cyber outing”?

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and enthusi
Not since I was a teenager. Most adults don't notice that you might be wearing a diaper. Younger adults or kids seem to have an interest if someone wears a diaper. I'm a teacher (and a guidance counselor) so I work with younger adults. I've been IC since I was extremely young. When I was a child
some other students made my life miserable. As an adult, I'm very discrete and hide my diaper easily. I've never been "outed," even some of my students. If someone noticed my diaper, most people are polite and don't say anything. I do remember a few years back when someone questioned me that I was wearing a diaper. I simply said it's a medical issue. And I said I'd prefer to not discus it further.

My parents would tell everyone that I had to wear diapers for bedwetting and would tell me to go put my diaper on in front of everyone. My brothers always told kids on the bus that I had to wear diapers. My now ex fiance would ask me if I needed more diapers at the store and not do it quietly.

• Sad
Reactions: checkingoutall, Diprs2, Blekyss and 3 others
Yup been outed....sort of, long story but the highlights are simply my X thought it would be smart to tell friends and family that I wore diapers....most of them know I have had issues of and on for years. Long story short she essentially outed her self as they were all disgusted with the fact she was trying to use a medical issues to humiliate me. It really backfired on her.

Reactions: checkingoutall, Napincolove, Diprs2 and 5 others
Babybear2006 said:
My parents would tell everyone that I had to wear diapers for bedwetting and would tell me to go put my diaper on in front of everyone. My brothers always told kids on the bus that I had to wear diapers. My now ex fiance would ask me if I needed more diapers at the store and not do it quietly.
my parents do the same thing about me being incontinent told a lot of people who didn't have to know and I wore diapers throughout school you know how that went

• Sad
Yes. I shared this story before on here. But once in my twenties everyone at my job found out.

I would occasionally walk out to my patio wearing just a diaper and onesie always at night. without realizing it someone I would work with a year or so later lived in the same condo complex saw me and eventually outed me.

I got bullied quite a bit, people would make baby jokes call me a baby or ask if I wanted things like rattles and stuff.

It was pretty bad for about 6 months.

• Sad
Reactions: checkingoutall, babykeiff, Diprs2 and 5 others
I had to leave the village i was in because my x partner spread it around that i wore and was incontinent in a smear campain after i caught her cheating on my with her x. It wasn't a nice situation.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: checkingoutall, babykeiff, Diprs2 and 3 others
Definitely yes, but as I always say, my closest environment is aware because I do prefer so, and I don’t mind that much about the others. But if I go to the beach wearing it so just getting your T shirt off makes it evident to anyone looking! But I do remember clearly one occasion and laugh remembering it (just remembering cause when it happened I just wanted to evaporate! Even though 5 minutes after I was already laughing and joking with my friends about). Five years ago I had a septic shock so needed intensive care, induced coma, and so on because it’s a very critical situation (in fact the survival ratio is 50%! So once again in my life I felt lucky). The matter is that during the 3 weeks in hospital I lost a lot of weight (entered with 57 kg. Exit with 46, mostly due to days in intensive care with any eating forbid and the coma. And casually a couple weeks after the exit I had blood analysis so I went there (same hospital) early in the morning. samples are taken in first floor so I decided to go by the stairs. I remember I did cause after ICU I had difficulties to walk and remembered how pride I took those stairs for the first time after! 🤣 and when I arrive to the very last stair… I lost so many kilograms that when my legs were both straight just after last step, due to weight in pockets (mobile, wallet, keys) and hop! my pants instantly fell down to my ankles…😣 and furthermore just there’s a waiting stall full of people waiting and I stood there in diapers I front of them all! Even if I reacted at light speed I couldn’t avoid watching some of the astonished faces sitting in front while I wanted to be swallowed by earth 🤣🤣🤣. And….well I’ve been a bit long but I hope now you understand why, and the reason why I remember that so clearly…

But as I said I was joking with it just 5 minutes later, and I still do. What else are you gonna do?!? 😝🤪 if you’re capable of laughing at yourself, then you can do truly live and laugh with no complexes. Proof that you’re mature and you assume your own personal stuff with philosophy. I hope it amused you also! That’s why I share (stating that I profoundly respect those with unpleasant experiences that I had too but when much younger and made efforts to overcome and to be at the point I am now! Laugh as much as you can. Even of yourself! If a situation is comic and funny it is also when happens to oneself!)

Cheers guys. Love, and best regards from Spain

PS: I expect to put a humoristic note in the post but I regret the nasty experiences you shared like soggy, str88 or little jacket 😞

Last edited:
Reactions: checkingoutall, Diprs2, Pickle and 5 others
After the car crash, I was very open about my wearing diapers as way back then, the choice was hose and bag or cloth diapers and plastic pants, which was never simple to cover. That really cured me from being overly concerned whether others knew or not. Those who asked, I told and others likely found-out from others. I noted years ago, if I individual knows. ten or more like knew.

It always surprised me just how often my wife or I would be approached regarding recommendations regarding diaper wearing. There are far more of our out there than one would guess!

Reactions: Rusher, checkingoutall, Diprs2 and 5 others
I've not been "outed" yet (as much as I know). Of course my wife knows, we talk absolutely openly about everything, I have nothing to hide, naturally she has seen me often in my diapers, how I'm changing, it's simply part of our routines without questioning anything.

As it is nothing special for us, I really don't know if she ever has spoken to her friends or someone else about it, but I really don't care about that. Also our neighbors might know, every few weeks DHL, UPS or someone else delivers my diaper packages (sometimes showing the brand sighs to Tena or Attends), sometimes it has been received by them as I wasn't at home just as we always do with each other in our neighborhood - no-one said anything yet, but also this I don't care; if someone wold ask I would simply explain!

Even my (adult) children and their families don't know about my IC, I'm wearing discreet so nobody can see, and I see no specific reason why I should have to tell about my condition. Anyway, if it comes up (and I expect that sooner or later), I will talk openly without shame about that!

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, TeddyBunny and 2 others
Wetshisbed said:
My sister told everyone that I still wet the bed.
How old were you and your sister when she did this? It sounds really mean.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, TeddyBunny and 1 other person
UrgentWees said:
I’ve been outed by a nurse at my continence clinic who told me in front of other patients sitting in the corridor I was in that I might want to change my pull up before leaving. She would have seen that it was a bit wet when I was having tests done, so she wasn’t wrong, but it was pretty unprofessional.

I also get outed every now and again by my girlfriend when she asks me if I need to change. Sometimes it’s when we’re alone, but often it’s when we’re passing a public toilet at the shops or something. She has a better nose than me, so I don’t really mind that and because she doesn’t specify what might need changing, probably only incontinent people would realise.
That was very unprofessional of the nurse. And I hope you reported it? If the nurse is dumb enough to not have proper discussion, it needs to be corrected. You might not be, the only patient that nurse is being unprofessional with.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, TeddyBunny and 1 other person
Back