Going To The Gym

babyscotty37

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
In February I had a SI joint fusion, a little joint between your pelvis and tailbone. Now I'm going to PT a few times a week and they are aware of my IC. I just try not to have much fluid intake before going.
But to supplement my recovery and get in better shape before I have my left knee replaced, I've signed up to go to a Genesis Health Club. Due to the level of my incontinence, I'm always wearing a full diaper. Yet, going to the gym, there's no real private changing area, and this is creating a lot of anxiety. Late yesterday I went to the store and bought a bag of cheap pull-ups and then this morning I put a doubler in them. Changing from my street clothes into my swimsuit with these is easier and not as obvious. But, on my way home the floodgates opened and the pullup with doubler didn't contain things very well. I ordered what I'm hoping are more absorbent pull-ups, and trying to avoid wearing a full diaper to the gym.

Is there anyone who can give me possible suggestions for dealing with this issue in a gym setting? Right now, I need to be working hard to get into better shape, but I'm trying not to let this issue prevent me from going to the gym. So far I've been fortunate that the locker room wasn't crowded and I could stay pretty much concealed. But if I have one or more embarrassing situations I may stop going altogether.

My only suggestion if there are no change stalls would be to use a toilet stall to do your changes

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic, artemisenterri, babyscotty37 and 1 other person
I just saw in another post where someone shared a link to Threaded Armor incontinence products. I have a call into this company, but these have the closest appearance to regular underwear, but still provide the level of protection I need.
Given my back issues, changing in a toilet stall into a swimsuit or gym clothes would be extremely difficult, and I'd be concerned a little about sanitation. Thanks for the suggestion though.

unfortunately it's not the best solution I understand
I'm kind of surprised your gym offers no change cubicles
usually there are a couple at the very least with a bench & some hooks
Perhaps you can make a request for one at your gym who knows maybe they will install a couple

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, Diaperderby, artemisenterri and 2 others
use a toilet stall, gyms/y's it isn't abnormal for that use.

Reactions: artemisenterri
I am in a similar situation at a gym that does not provide changing stalls so I understand the concern. Personally, I use the Threaded Armor Protective Brief at the gym. With a disposable diaper doubler it works great even for my long slow distance days (sometimes over 2 hours). But most days, I just wear the protective brief and change it after my workout. They are very discreet (ad I .

All of that said there is a gentleman probably in his mid 60s that comes in with a diaper on during the morning on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He changes into a clean pull-up before his workout and a diaper after. I've honestly never seen anyone look askance at him. I was surprised the first time I saw him but all his confidence did was give me more confidence (though I still try to be discreet).

Odds are someone else at your gym is dealing with incontinence too. Good luck! Stay going to the gym and keep healthy!

SparkyDog said:
unfortunately it's not the best solution I understand
I'm kind of surprised your gym offers no change cubicles
usually there are a couple at the very least with a bench & some hooks
Perhaps you can make a request for one at your gym who knows maybe they will install a couple
In the US, lack of such options could be grounds for an ADA violation lawsuit...

artemisenterri said:
In the US, lack of such options could be grounds for an ADA violation lawsuit...
Around here all our gyms / rec centers & pools have several private change cubicles
heck even our local outdoor pool has a couple
so it's very surprising the gym doesn't.
Id have a polite chat with the manager and ask what they can do to address that issue

I go to the gym regularly. Due to serve incontinence I also wear diapers. When I arrive I go to the toilet and change into a thinner diaper that is enough for the duration of training. Then I put on my training clothes in the locker room. I regulary wear underpants over the diaper so they are hardly noticeable in the locker room afterwards. After training, the whole thing is reversed.
I've been doing it like this for years in different studios. So far I haven't had any reactions. Nobody seems to have really noticed it yet. In my opinion, it is due to a combination of pragmatic discretion and, more importantly, a self-confident behavior. By this I mean, if you behave as if there was nothing unusual about the situation, there is significantly less reason for others to "scan" you you.

Reactions: EcoIncon
peanut said:
I go to the gym regularly. Due to serve incontinence I also wear diapers. When I arrive I go to the toilet and change into a thinner diaper that is enough for the duration of training. Then I put on my training clothes in the locker room. I regulary wear underpants over the diaper so they are hardly noticeable in the locker room afterwards. After training, the whole thing is reversed.
I've been doing it like this for years in different studios. So far I haven't had any reactions. Nobody seems to have really noticed it yet. In my opinion, it is due to a combination of pragmatic discretion and, more importantly, a self-confident behavior. By this I mean, if you behave as if there was nothing unusual about the situation, there is significantly less reason for others to "scan" you you.
Ditto what @peanut said. Especially the part of "self-confident behavior". If you are sure of yourself and just act normal, no one will notice (most are usually too into themselves anyway!). Toilet stalls work best.

I wear pullons. The overnight tranquility ones work great

I am sorry you have experienced this, and that your gym doesn't have anywhere private to change. I totally understand the anxiety. I remember when I first went to the gym after becoming incontinent. Super scary and nerve racking. Since my accident, I have always worn baggier shorts when at the gym. Under them I wear a thinner pull up. When I am done working out, I pull my shorts and the pull up down together, shower and then depending on my plans for the day, put on another pull up and get dressed or if I am going to need longer lasting protection I will either use a toilet stall (yes the crinkling could be heard) and my skirt/pants before coming back out, or I will just use a pull up and then change soon after leaving the gym into an all day diaper.

I also have learned that most people could care less about what my underwear is. Typically I try to find a less busy area of the locker room, but many times i have changed with others close by. I only have had a couple of times where people say anything about my diapers, and its never been negative, more of a curiosity for them, wondering if it is a diaper, and why I wear. I simply say yes it is, and because I am incontinent. That is the end of the story.

I hope you find a comfortable solution to your situation.

Barbara

Reactions: Sparrow75
Back