Going abroad and using tena slip active

mechanicX

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
so i have gone aboard to a hot country and have been using the tena active slip M , what a wrong move , they make me sweat no end and super uncomfortable. I think I might have to find another option next time i am away. I have been looking around for none plastic back or some sort of breathable version, it would appear i can not find one

Reactions: Canadianfalls and Neroforte
Breathable diapers might add some airing but in reality, if the weather is warmer, you will sweat. And if you're using a protection ointment, you will also sweat. I would suggest to wear the most comfortable diaper and change when wet. I always air out my skin regularly. When it get's warmer, I try to do this a coupe of the time during the day.

Reactions: Canadianfalls
You could try some cooling towels.

What you do is wet one with water and then place it over your neck.

The good cooling towels are 30 degrees cooler than the heat around you.

Reactions: Canadianfalls
I also use/wear the Tena Slip Maxi Active Fit 24/7. I prefer a plastic backed nappy. But you are right that in hot climate they can be uncomfortably sweaty. So I end up changing more often. Just recently I had to buy some of the ProSkin I think they are called as I forgot to pack my normal nappies. They are breathable at the sides and were actually very good. They were very absorbent and the leak guards worked really well and I had no leaks sitting, walking or sleeping. Might be worth trying those.

Tenaman said:
I also use/wear the Tena Slip Maxi Active Fit 24/7. I prefer a plastic backed nappy. But you are right that in hot climate they can be uncomfortably sweaty. So I end up changing more often. Just recently I had to buy some of the ProSkin I think they are called as I forgot to pack my normal nappies. They are breathable at the sides and were actually very good. They were very absorbent and the leak guards worked really well and I had no leaks sitting, walking or sleeping. Might be worth trying those.
I'll look into them next time I'm being tortured by the sun I have done the most unpredictable thing and going without while out and about. Not a good move but it's unbearable. 30c ouch

There is unfortunately no magic diaper for hot days
the only solution is more frequent changes. Change every couple hours. Clean the entire diaper area well and dry completely before re diapering
add generous amount of powder not only on the usual area but hips and lower back too. Then get ready to repeat in a few hours.

Cloth backed, talc and a pair of boxer shorts that's your best solution for the heat. Unfortunately as above there's not a magic solution chafing still happens

Reactions: ICDiaperLover
mechanicX said:
so i have gone aboard to a hot country and have been using the tena active slip M , what a wrong move , they make me sweat no end and super uncomfortable. I think I might have to find another option next time i am away. I have been looking around for none plastic back or some sort of breathable version, it would appear i can not find one
Try some of the shops they have other tena diapers that are cloth back

Dry247 said:
Try some of the shops they have other tena diapers that are cloth back
BUT

If you were trying to keep yourself WARM in the WINTER you wouldn't wrap yourself with PLASTIC, instead you would choose CLOTH.

So then WHY if you were trying to keep yourself COOL in the SUMMER would you choose CLOTH instead of PLASTIC?

When I am near a washing machine I use terry nappies and plastic pants. I make my own and have to change 3/4 times a day. I too battle to find a good absorbent nappy for travelling. I am going on a trip where I will not be able to carry much luggage so I shall have to have supplies delivered at various hotels on the way, and I am paranoid about running out. I shall take limited clothes and pack the case with nappies and the camera of course.

diapeybabybrian said:
BUT

If you were trying to keep yourself WARM in the WINTER you wouldn't wrap yourself with PLASTIC, instead you would choose CLOTH.

So then WHY if you were trying to keep yourself COOL in the SUMMER would you choose CLOTH instead of PLASTIC?
That's rocket science, has to do with physics:
if a material is able to let pass through a little moisture, the evaporation of this moisture creates a cooling effect. So, plastic pants maybe as wet as possible inside, outside they are bone dry - no cooling effect with evaporation. A breathable diaper surface lets a little bit moisture pass through (especially in summer times it's also from sweat), so the cooling effect takes place...
Try out: if you put a few water drops onto your skin and blow, it will feel cold. With an absolutely dry skin there is nothing....

hbic60 said:
A breathable diaper surface lets a little bit moisture pass through (especially in summer times it's also from sweat), so the cooling effect takes place...
That unfortunately defeats the whole point of a Diaper.

If moisture is passing through the diaper, that's called a Diaper Leak.

To each their own, but from my personal experiences wearing in the heat I don't see an overwhelming cooling/comfort benefit to "Cloth-like" Over Plastic.

Cloth-Like diapers:
-Droop and Sag
-Smell from Diaper Sweat Leaks
-The Tapes aren't as strong and physically detach off the wings of the diaper
-They Chafe your legs when you're wet while walking excessively, (even with a onsie for support)
-They stretch significantly throughout the day creating a "more loose than desired fit"
(If you compensate for this by taping snug, then the tapes rip off the wings as mentioned).

I guess it depends how long you prefer to wear your diapers.

I only prefer to wear for extended periods, (8-12+ hours).

I only change in public when absolutely necessary due to the unhygenic logistical nightmare.

If you were changing multiple times per day, only then would cloth-like diapers be more practical.

But that means you'd be spending significantly more money, and spending way more time changing.

Last edited:
Cloth back do not breath enough to make a difference. If they do not let pee out then they cant let much air in, I think they are a scam. The bad thing I notice on clothback is they never stay on snug and as a result they leak around the leg. Once that happens the backing is wet and just rubs the skin raw faster than a plastic ever would. You can use a lighter diaper or even pull ups and change more often if it is to damn hot out. It is just one of those things we have to endure living a incontinent life. I never use powder in my diaper as I get infections way easy and most diapers powders and creams plug up ho well the absorb. But I do use it around my groan once my diaper is on and it helps to keep the legs from sweating and rubbing.dAlso one thing to think about is if you use a lighter diaper pair it with a quality booster, like seni makes. Then when the booster gets full get rid of it and replace the booster. It is a lot cheaper to throw out a 50 cent booster 5 or 6 times a day than a $3.00 diaper.

diapeybabybrian said:
That unfortunately defeats the whole point of a Diaper.

If moisture is passing through the diaper, that's called a Diaper Leak.
Again some physics: the surface of a (cloth backed) diaper does not let any drops pass through (=leaking), but only more or less some humidity of molecule size...
Anyway, it's coming out for me that for what reason ever for quite big amount of people out here the cloth backed diapers are more or less garbage and something like a hate object and that the only true and valid diapers seem to be thick plastic backed ones.
I don't share this opinion, I'm happy with my good fitting, discreet medical (cloth backed) diapers with an adequate absorption level, using no plastic pants or additional compression pants and - magically - nearly never any visible leaking in the last years!

So I can confirm I did in fact pack only 1 cloth back nappie I wore it for a day admittedly it want discrete at all. I didn't feel uncomfortable , didnt sweet much For the walking or day heat , Towards the end of the day I was having enough of it all. The only thing was to keep having to adjust the holding pads

Teddy02 said:
When I am near a washing machine I use terry nappies and plastic pants. I make my own and have to change 3/4 times a day. I too battle to find a good absorbent nappy for travelling. I am going on a trip where I will not be able to carry much luggage so I shall have to have supplies delivered at various hotels on the way, and I am paranoid about running out. I shall take limited clothes and pack the case with nappies and the camera of course.
Like me, they are more comfortable, environmentally friendly, more absorbant but obviously bulkier and less irritating than disposables in warmer weather. I prefer cloth whenever I can and have a mix of terries and some custom made shaped cloth nappies that Velcro on.

Reactions: Teddy02
I travelled the four corners in Boots maxi pull ups during the day and tena slip maxi at night with no problems.

Back