Not open for further replies.

Stromdell

100% diaper status 24/7 Life
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
So I'm flying back east to visit the family and as my IC has become a real problem since last I saw them I have some understandable anxiety about being around them and friends having to wear a diaper. I know that if they see I can explain that its for a legitimate reason, etc. and even if it were embarrassing, I'm sure it would be understandable (at least my parents know about it).

My concern however is that I'm just now learning about all the full body scanners in the airports - I saw a thread from earlier in a different section that didn't seem to answer my concerns (and it was closed) so...

What is the likelihood that they will stop me after a scan, because undoubtedly a thicker diaper will show up on those images... I am sure they have dealt with other before but learning that there was some jackass who tried to bring a bomb on a flight via an adult diaper, I fear they might single me out...

what experiences have you had with the scanners? do you know if I can request a pat-down instead (at LAX, if you know)? I'm sure they are professional if they see you need a diaper but its embarrassing enough to have someone know - let alone talk to you about it, or worse - search you.

While it wasn't a full diaper, I've gone through the scanners multiple times wearing a fairly thick male pad and 8 out of ten had no one comment. the couple of times it was the 'pat the back, check the legs', never anything further. One of those times I was given the offer of a private room for the pat down, but I declined and it was no big deal. (wasn't like a groping or anything....)

Reactions: jt1220
It's really no big deal at all. If it's dry, they're unlikely to even pat you down. Leave enough time to change your diaper if it's wet when you're ready to get into the security line, and you'll be fine.

The security people see dozens of incontinent people a day. Someone wearing a diaper through security just isn't that unusual.

Last edited:
Reactions: jt1220 and Deleted member 51511
Most times it is not a problem. However, I just traveled to Texas and back. I was tagged both times for a pat down around the waist. Both times, my wife was with me and was upset that I was called out both times. I was taken to a private room and two TSA men came with me. They explained the process of the pat down and asked if I had any additional items in my pockets. I presented them the TSA card that you can print out and explained I had incontinence and was wearing a diaper to address it. The first leg was no big deal they were aggressive in the pat down but in the end just let it go. The second time, I was a bit late and did not change before going through. When they felt my diaper, the were perplexed. She was standing outside and they did not realize it. I guess when they left me to get a supervisor, they were all perplexed as to what to do. He came in and explained he would also pat me down. After that he left and found someone else to discuss it with. He came back in and explained he expected it to be squishy and not firm. I asked him if he needed more, and he said no. I left and laughed to myself that he would even need to tell me what he expected.

I always carry a spare with me. Sometimes I am asked to show them that, other times I had to drop my pants and undo my onesie. It is a crap shoot. Most are there just trying to do a hard job. Some are assholes. Some are just confused.

The key to making it through it is to just hold your head high and not be embarrassed. 9/10 times, they were more than you are.

I wouldn’t care much about it. Yes - if you go with a wet diaper through the scanner a pat down will follow, but they also do some times random checks. I never had a problem here in Europe. They will see that you wear a diaper, maybes take with a small peace of paper some probes from your luggage and / or your trousers and put that in a detector and that’s it. I fly regularly and they always act very professional and discreet.

I've only ever been stopped once for a strip search and that was after a day out in france. I was dry but the pat down was a bit more thorough and they found the bulge, but no big deal, Once we were in the room i explained I was IC and whilst they did insist on checking inside the nappy it was fine and done discreetly.

Don't worry you will be fine, Incontinence does lead to some embarrassing moments (Especially at first) but over time you stop worrying about it and any questions that may come. Security bag checks or TSA check points are easy to deal with if asked just be open and honest that you need diapers for a medical issue they will not be surprised unless its their first day on the job.

Just relax and enjoy your trip

Reactions: joemama
I wouldn't worry. I love flying and travel whenever I can afforrd it. I have been dependant on nappies for years. Airport security have seen it all before.

Reactions: NaranjaColor, joemama and BobbiSueEllen
I carry this with me and have typed on it "incontinence/diaper" I carry it in my pocket and when I get stopped and told I will be frisked, I ask for a private room and hand them that card. 50% of the time they are confused by it. I do not think they train them these cards exist. Some older TSA agents will get it right away and be discrete. Many times if they are younger they will not have enough training to address it and will call for extra help.

Reactions: NaranjaColor
You will not be the first or last person with a disability that TSA scans. From what I noticed on the monitor is the diaper or pad does show up. Yellow in my experiences. Maybe you can ask for screen print or something for your scrapbook? :)

I've been stopped and patted down and it is routine that likely you have not or frequently experience so, it is a bit unsettling. You will get through and no one in line will give a thought towards.

I haven't been taken to a private screening room yet, but have had a mild pat down - no biggie. Most times I make it through the scanner without incident. As others have suggested, try to be dry when going through the scanners. The most embarrassing issue I've had was that after removing my belt and putting it in the bin, my shorts kept sliding down (I wear a size or 2 larger than needed) even though I was wearing a Better Dry with a booster. By the time I got through the scanner and went to gather stuff from the bin, my shorts had been pulled up and slid back down so many times there was no hiding the fact I was in a diaper! It got to the point I almost just let em fall off completely and carried them - that probably would have been less frustrating than the constant struggle of trying to keep them up!

I just recently returned from vacation and I flew both ways , leaving out I went though the full body scanner and was waved right along no issues even thou I was slightly wet , coming home I was bone dry yet waved to the side and given a light pat down and then passed along , I never volunteered that i was wearing a diaper nor did they ask , it was really a none issue for me, I was a little apprehensive due to this being the first time I was padded while going though the TSA checkpoints

Reactions: Wetshisbed
chamberpot said:
I just recently returned from vacation and I flew both ways , leaving out I went though the full body scanner and was waved right along no issues even thou I was slightly wet , coming home I was bone dry yet waved to the side and given a light pat down and then passed along , I never volunteered that i was wearing a diaper nor did they ask , it was really a none issue for me, I was a little apprehensive due to this being the first time I was padded while going though the TSA checkpoints
Same here they have patted me down occasionally looked in my hand luggage and it was no big deal. I am sure they see incontinent travellers all the time.

I've flown diapered many times, and the amount I'm wet never seemed to be a factor for getting patted down. I've been flagged with a nearly completely dry diaper, and waved through with an absolutely soaked and sagging betterdry diaper (wanted to change first but was running late so couldn't).

I believe the TSA is really looking for how nervous you may be. That may be because of our own diapered insecurity, but not because of the diapers themselves.

i have some urge incontinence that I can manage by being careful about fluid intake. I still like to have protection when on a plane, because I fear a delay that would mean he getting stuck on the runway without access to the toilet. But after one flight where a full body scan detected my pullup, and I was subject to a pat down, and a TSA agent who looked confused when I tried to explain, I now put on my protection after i have been though security. If your incontinence allows you to do that, it’s something to consider.

I've not had any problems with TSA as of yet. Two things that I've always been advised against were a soaked diaper and using powder because it would get flagged in the scanner--but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Pretty certain they see a lot of adult diapers either way.

Just a thought though, if you are a frequent flier you should consider the Clear program or the TSA pre check program that allows you to bypass most of the TSA checks all together. It is pretty expensive though.

Last edited:
I wear all the time and never had problems at the scanner. I've worn pull ups, heavy asorbant diaper panties for long flights. No detection, no leaking, just comfort.

I’ve flown diapered many many times. I’ve never had an issue. They key is going through as dry as possible. So change right before security if possible.
Also, if you fly more than a couple times a year, get TSA pre-check. It’s $80 for 5 years, which IMO isn’t bad and is the best money I’ve ever spent on travel. The TSA precheck line is always shorter and faster, you don’t need to take your shoes off or liquids out etc. Also, and this is the biggest draw for me, you only go through a standard metal detector. Now if you set that off you have to go through the normal scanner so just take extra care not to set it off and you’ll be on your way in a jiffy! If you’re nervous about flying and incontinence causing you embarrassment this is your best bet!

Years and years ago I had brought a large bottle of baby powder with me (in my carry on diaper bag). Yup, it was detected as a liquid. The agent wanted me to throw it out, but I said no way. He didn't even want to smell it either, claiming it could have been drugs. I opened it and just before taking a big sniff I squeezed the bottle and let out a big puff of powder. I was amused, he was not. He let me through with it anyways though.

Reactions: NaranjaColor
As a tip, body sensors are looking for not just liquid, but (among many things) heat/moisture, such as sweat. Whether dry or not, if you diapered up hours ago and its hot and sweaty down there you stand a reasonable chance of tripping it off. It’s really no big deal. Worse case scenario you (might) have an awkward conversation with the TSA agents while they pat your crotch. Although, if your flying with someone else who is not aware of your activities I would suggest avoiding said potential headache.

As a pro tip, you can sign up for Pre-Check and will most often skip the full body scanners.

Do not pack any lotions/bottles/creme unless your certain you are under the limit allowed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back